Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Tablet to buy , in your opinion

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Any idea which tablet I should buy.
    I kinda like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with 16gb storage.
    Is that a good one for mostly doing email and watching Netflix and downloaded avi fillums and generally surfin' the web.
    I'd be doing almost no office type work on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Any idea which tablet I should buy.
    I kinda like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with 16gb storage.
    Is that a good one for mostly doing email and watching Netflix and downloaded avi fillums and generally surfin' the web.
    I'd be doing almost no office type work on it.

Have no real first hand experience with the 10 inch model but my 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 works a treat for all you mentioned above. Also you can install XBMC for watching lots of movies and TV shows etc both stored on your network and from the web. Storage can be upgraded also with an SD card if you are going on holiday for example you can load it up with movies to watch.
    Prices are good at the moment too with it being 319 in the shops.
    I would recommend going to a shop and getting a feel for the device in your hand and see if its comfortable
    davo2001 wrote: »
    iPad?

iPad can get messy trying to play AVI files

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Have no real first hand experience with the 10 inch model but my 7inch Galaxy Tab 2 works a treat for all you mentioned above. Also you can install XBMC for watching lots of movies and TV shows etc both stored on your network and from the web.

Have XBMC on my Nexus 7 too. Runs the exact same setup as the HTPC and is insanely handy to move about the house from one device to another.

The plus about the Galaxy is it's expandable storage which, if you plan to put a lot of movies / TV Shows on it, will be handy to bump it up in size.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I'm also looking into this device. Slot for SD is very appealing, as is the ability to install XBMC without risking the bricking of your device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JaneChrish

I would suggest i pad mini. I recently bought and I love it.

If your looking to putting content onto the device regularly Android would possibly be the better choice, drag and drop into a folder over having to sync via iTunes. I am not sure if ipads can play avi or mkv files natively without conversion, although this may have changed. Android can play any format within reason, you can even get VLC Player for Android :) .

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Google nexus 7, mighty tablet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Look at the Nexus 7 or 10. Much easier for downloading and viewing media files.
    With Android you can download straight to the tablet with no need for PC/transfer via itunes.
    XBMC also works great on both. Whilst the Nexus7 or 10 does not have an SD card slot you can
    connect a USB key and play files from it using an USB OTG cable and the Nexus Media importer app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Major +1 for the Nexus 7.

Just got one recently and its amazing, and having come from an S3 it was very easy to pick up and use.

The 32GB is available in Argos for €249 for the WiFi version and €289 for the 3G version.

Fantastic value for the price and an amazing tablet.

• Advertisement

Nexus 7 looks good

Nexus 7 looks good

So good that I bought it. 300e for 32gb 3g version. Can't beat that price. Has all the apps you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I am looking into getting a tablet also at the moment and to be honest it's a minefield
    Can a keyboard be attached to all tablets
    Also what would u recommend to get for downloading movies and for doing some office work?
    All advice really appreciated: -)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Also I am thinking it's possible to download movies and watch them later with no Wi-Fi

molly09 wrote: »
    I am looking into getting a tablet also at the moment and to be honest it's a minefield
    Also what would u recommend to get for downloading movies and for doing some office work?

I'm fresh from a heap of research on the topic, so I hope I can be of some help here. Firstly, you need to know your budget. You can get cheap android tablets for €100, or top-end Apple devices for €500-600.

By the sounds of it, you would like the Microsoft Surface Pro (around €600 ish), but that isn't out here yet. But be warned that while the Surface comes with MS Office and a keyboard (well, keyboard for €100 extra), the Surface has a very limited collection of apps.

The iPad has a wireless keyboard sold separately and costs roughly the same as the Surface, for the same hard drive space, 3G, etc. But it's collection of office tools is only average, as far as I am told.

Finally, is Android. I recently bought a Nexus 7 32GB 3G for €300, which is up to €150 cheaper than it's competitors. There are free office software tools, such as Kingsoft Office, which appear to do the job for content creation. However, given the size of the device, I just don't see it as being a comparable experience to using a laptop. The way I see it, I will use my laptop for large office work, and the tablet can be used for editing work, using something like Google Drive as a shared hard disk option.
    Also I am thinking it's possible to download movies and watch them later with no Wi-Fi

They can all do this, as far as I can tell. If you are talking about torrenting, I know that Apple have banned this from the Apple App Store, and you need to pull a few tricks to get it on your device. My Nexus 7 has uTorrent and XBMC with Navi-X, which required no messing around to get, I just installed them straight on their and I download and stream away. I have no idea whether the Surface is capable of this.

Hope that helps.

Can we avoid the torrenting discussion folks. Legal movie downloads-fine but nothing dodgy ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Riprock

Like the OP I have been trying to decide what tablet to purchase. I was looking at a Lenova 9" tablet yesterday, looks like good value (249e) and I like the screen size. Seems to have good reviews online. Anybody any thoughts/experience of this one or Lenova in general? It's just mainly for surfing and watching movies on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I just ordered 2 x Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 inch tablets from Amazon. One each for my two sons, they saved up for them themselves. I cant wait to get mey hands on them !!!
    They are roughly €288 each on Amazon.

Riprock wrote: »
    Like the OP I have been trying to decide what tablet to purchase. I was looking at a Lenova 9" tablet yesterday, looks like good value (249e) and I like the screen size. Seems to have good reviews online. Anybody any thoughts/experience of this one or Lenova in general? It's just mainly for surfing and watching movies on flights.

Lenovo are a decent brand, never used their tablets but they bought out IBMs laptop division a few years back and are still fairly highly regarded systems by many.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have an ipad2 and a nexus7 both of which i plan to sell now as I got the following windows 8 tablet last week (was 310 sterling) and dont think i'll ever go back to use apple or android tablets. Both have advantages and disadvantages but to be able to install what you want and stream what you want makes this the ideal tablet for me. This has the full version of windows not windows rt and allows you to do proper multitasking (e.g. browse the web while watching a video). The specs arent amazing on this particular tablet but there are much more powerful atom chips coming out in the next 6 months or so. Delighted with the tablet so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-ViVoTab-ME400c-10-1-inch-Tablet/dp/B00BEFEMS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370451198&sr=8-1&keywords=vivo+tab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op go with the samsung galaxy 2 10.1 i have one and its deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Jumping in on this as it's my other halfs 40th next month & among other things, I want to get him a tablet.

He has the Samsung Galaxy 10" Tablet as a wish on Amazon £234.99, but my brother was saying the Nexus 7" is great too and good value in Currys at the minute - €249. The Nexus is a 32gb, whereas the Galaxy is only 16gb, so obviously double the storage, but a smaller sized tablet. He has a samsung galaxy 3 already, so just wondering if a 7" is too similar in size to his phone? They seem small enough compared to the 10".

I don't want to spend masses of money, as I want to get him other bits for his birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Yes, keyboards can be attached to all devices.
    I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 inch model.
    Amazon have them for €288.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nexus 10 if you want big screen, 7 if want mobility

rest pretty much are playing catch up on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

By the sounds of it, you would like the Microsoft Surface Pro (around €600 ish), but that isn't out here yet. But be warned that while the Surface comes with MS Office and a keyboard (well, keyboard for €100 extra), the Surface has a very limited collection of apps.

Surface Pro came out here last week, and its €899
    I think you are thinking of the Surface RT which has been out ages

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

I have an ipad2 and a nexus7 both of which i plan to sell now as I got the following windows 8 tablet last week (was 310 sterling) and dont think i'll ever go back to use apple or android tablets. Both have advantages and disadvantages but to be able to install what you want and stream what you want makes this the ideal tablet for me. This has the full version of windows not windows rt and allows you to do proper multitasking (e.g. browse the web while watching a video). The specs arent amazing on this particular tablet but there are much more powerful atom chips coming out in the next 6 months or so. Delighted with the tablet so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-ViVoTab-ME400c-10-1-inch-Tablet/dp/B00BEFEMS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370451198&sr=8-1&keywords=vivo+tab

With the Windows tablets and phones they don't need higher specs to run well unlike android and ios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Apologies if this is a stupid question but here goes,

I want to get an ereader but would a tablet be just as good the bit more functionality is appealing to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Dunno what you mean but I spent time last night on messaging people on Skype while watching Youtube videos on my Surface RT, so you can multitask perfectly well on Windows RT

Owryan wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a stupid question but here goes,

I want to get an ereader but would a tablet be just as good the bit more functionality is appealing to me .

Reading is less comfortable on tablets than ereader. Different technology for screen displays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Reading is less comfortable on tablets than ereader. Different technology for screen displays.

Thanks a mill, thats just what I was wondering .

Advertisement