Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spending too much on petrol?

Options
  • 12-05-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my car. I have a 05 Focus, 1.6 petrol. Can anyone tell me how much they spend on petrol per week? I don't drive it that much but when I do I'm spending loads on petrol. I'm not naive, I know it's a 1.6 petrol but everybody is telling me I am spending way too much on it. It takes about E120 to fill the tank and if I drive it constantly I would be lucky to get a week out of it. Is this normal? I know it's time for a Diesel but my car is in excellent condition, there's only 50K KM's on it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Impossible to calculate how much you are using w/o a starting point like miles per week exactly and how much is on your fuel tank. My auntie has one of these and says it seems heavy enough 30-35mpg at best.

Let tank run to a certain point like exactly 1/2 or 1/4 and reset the trip computer then drive car until it says it's at the same reading on fuel gauge/trip computer readout under miles remaining (until empty) and work it out from there.

Im suprised the tank takes €120 tbh my Focus is completely brimmed with around €80

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

That's a 55-60 litre tank. where are you filling it?!

55 Litre on the 2005 MK2 1.6 inline 4 anyway, so i would be checking your fuel tank for holes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

From googling around the tank should be in and around 55 litres. Unless there's a hole in it i reckon you're not putting as much as you think into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lisademps

I know! I was thinking that maybe the pumps were fixed! 118 it cost me! I think I have filled it before for 102. I know it all depends on the price of the petrol too. I am going to Supergurrier's advice and take a record of it when it's exactly quarter full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Surely a more precise way of doing it would be to fill it to the brim, take the mileage, then after you've done a decent amount of mileage fill it again and take the mileage and work out your exact miles/litre.

I've a 1.6 car (not a Focus) and I've never (yet) spent more than €90 to fill it.... where on earth are you buying fuel :confused:

ETA - km/litre.... showing my age now, it's a wonder I didn't refer to gallons!

It's very hard to fix a pump like that though as there would be way inside the first day as people would know quickly enough what was going on. The mk2 focus has a large enough reserve in that relatively small 55l tank it's something like 10l or so, i have often filled mine when it's at 20 miles until empty and it won't take more than 43-44l and when i hop in the car it's past full on the needle.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Surely a more precise way of doing it would be to fill it to the brim, take the mileage, then after you've done a decent amount of mileage fill it again and take the mileage and work out your exact miles/litre.

I've a 1.6 car (not a Focus) and I've never (yet) spent more than €90 to fill it.... where on earth are you buying fuel :confused:

ETA - km/litre.... showing my age now, it's a wonder I didn't refer to gallons!

No need to fill it though, you just need a reference point on the tank be it 1/8 1/4 1/2 etc and a trip reset

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

€120 to fill the tank seems just wrong to me. I would guess the Focus has a 60 litre tank. It may be smaller but I would be very very surprised, shocked in fact if it was any bigger capacity a tank.

At a price of €1.60 per litre (its currently circa €1.53 per litre locally here) and assuming the tank was bone dry when going into the filling station (which we know is unlikely to happen much in reality) then it would take €96 to fill the tank.
    Let tank run to a certain point like exactly 1/2 or 1/4 and reset the trip computer then drive car until it says it's at the same reading on fuel gauge/trip computer readout under miles remaining (until empty) and work it out from there.

Unfortunately fuel guages and range computers are so often grossly inaccurate Supergurrier. I think the best way is to brim the car and reset the trip computer. Wait until the fuel light comes on again and pay heed to how many litres it takes to brim it and also pay heed to the distance covered as per trip computer.

Calculation should not be too difficult for most people from there but if you are not a modern European citizen like me you will most likely need to convert kilometres to miles and most definately the litres to gallons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lisademps

One example from this week was 375KM for E50. I will wait till its completely empty and reset the tripometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lisademps wrote: »
    One example from this week was 375KM for E50. I will wait till its completely empty and reset the tripometer.

KM/€ is no good, as pump prices vary quite a lot.

You don't have to run it dry.

I still reckon start from a full tank, and note the mileage. Then when you fill again (you don't have to empty it completely) you know exactly how many litres you've put in, and how many km you've done since it was last full. This gives you an accurate km/l figure, and you can then compare with other figures that people/internet may give you.

lisademps wrote: »

Well i get 190 miles from a full tank which is 55 X 1.55 a litre is €85 quid of fuel with a mpg readout of 23mpg.

But you need a starting point to get an accurate reading/i don't generally care what mpg im getting :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Definitely something wrong with the petrol pump! If your tank was leaking so fast that you lost at least 20 litres during a fill you would know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

The amount of times I've seen threads like this amazes me. It should be part of the theory test to calculate MPG or L/100Km, not this "my car does x miles on €20"

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

I have an 04 focus c-max 1.6, 76 Euro from completely empty to brimmed. Getting 32ish mpg. So about 350 miles to tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

When I had the Mondeo it'd take 62l from empty despite it having a "58l tank".

I'd be lucky to get 400 miles from a tank on average mixed driving which is about 30 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Jonty wrote: »
    It should be part of the theory test to calculate MPG or L/100Km, not this "my car does x miles on €20"

Or well before that. People should be able to perform these basic calculations in their early days in secondary school if not primary school.

Worse still people tell you that they are spending €x on petrol/ diesel per week and almost expect you to figure out if thats good or bad without telling you the mileage they are covering:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

look, if you have a smartphone get an app for your mpg, i use roadtrip lite, its free, easy to use.

its on android and ios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

I have "acar" app for recording milages and fill ups. its very good for calculating the mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jonty wrote: »
    The amount of times I've seen threads like this amazes me. It should be part of the theory test to calculate MPG or L/100Km, not this "my car does x miles on €20"

OP is even better, as he says E120 of petrol is sufficient for a week.

I love some people's mathematical skills.

I remember someone telling me she goes to BP because you get more in the tank so you have to stop less often!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have 1.4 focus and from empty it would take max €70-80 to brim it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I've yet to put anymore than 45 litres of fuel in my focus. Although I don't drive around on the light. It would still be impossible for ops tank to actually hold 120 euro of petrol. Op if I was you I'd go to a different petrol station brim the car with petrol zero the trip drive till 1/2 1/4 tank whatever fill it again. Take note of the reading on the trip and the LITRES used not cost to brim. And from there it's really only trivial basic maths to work out mpg L/100km which ever you prefer.

I remember someone telling me she goes to BP because you get more in the tank so you have to stop less often!

I was doing exactly the same thing (going to BP because I was getting more fuel there so I had to stop less often).

:D

However it was LPG I was filling up, and for some reason while on most stations my take could take about 27 litres, on BP there was 30 coming into the tank.

CiniO wrote: »
    I was doing exactly the same thing (going to BP because I was getting more fuel there so I had to stop less often).

:D

However it was LPG I was filling up, and for some reason while on most stations my take could take about 27 litres, on BP there was 30 coming into the tank.

Was it a faster filling hose? I.e. more pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bpmull wrote: »
    I've yet to put anymore than 45 litres of fuel in my focus. Although I don't drive around on the light. It would still be impossible for ops tank to actually hold 120 euro of petrol. Op if I was you I'd go to a different petrol station brim the car with petrol zero the trip drive till 1/2 1/4 tank whatever fill it again. Take note of the reading on the trip and the LITRES used not cost to brim. And from there it's really only trivial basic maths to work out mpg L/100km which ever you prefere.
    It's almost as simple as spelling.

Was it a faster filling hose? I.e. more pressure.

No. I don't think so.
    I couldn't understand why was it happening, and I never found out.

In LPG tank there is a valve, which is meant to cut off when tank is about 80% full during fill-up. For some reason on this particular station, valve was cutting at 86%, while on other stations it was cutting at around 77%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

From googling around the tank should be in and around 55 litres. Unless there's a hole in it i reckon you're not putting as much as you think into it.

Surely if he can overfill it by about 50% in one go, it'd be pissing out of the car. There's no way you'd miss that.

• Advertisement

Surely if he can overfill it by about 50% in one go, it'd be pissing out of the car. There's no way you'd miss that.

Maybe pipe leading to the tank is cracked, so half the petrol lands underneath the car.

Advertisement