Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla

• 03-01-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts on Tesla the electric car and component manufacturer in the US. Really feeling like I missed the boat on this one as was looking at it for a while last year when it was around the $27 mark and it closed yesterday around $35. While I am still a big fan of the company, I feel a good bit of the value has been missed in the investment and am not sure if the risk reward payoff of the company is where I would like to get into now. The things that impressed me about the company are as follows:

• Strong management team - big fan of Elon Musk and his work at Zip2, X.com and now space X. This guy seems to know what he is doing, very innovative and seems repected in the industry. He has put his money where his mouth is and got key guys in from Ford and Apple to assist him.
    • Superior performance EV and strong demand pre-production - the company has in excess of 35,000 orders for their cars so far having only produced about 3500 to date
    • Supplier of parts to a number of big motor companies who have also invested ( Daimler, etc)
    • Finally seeing some positive cashflow now

My concerns
    • Tesla is already behind on production and has had to announce price increases, the majority of pre orders can be assumed to be from wealthy individuals given the price range the car currently sits in and whilst the increases are unlikely to deter, is it a bad sign for the company and will they be able to meet demand expectations
    • I would imagine that market is fairly exhaustive and there move to a cheaper model could prove trickiest where cost becomes far more important and consumers become more price elastic. Some brands although not the same are fairly well developed in Europe - Smart car, Prius and leaf etc.
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

Did you buy in the end? The shorts are getting crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Fitz123

They are getting crushed, but as an investment this one is tricky. I like Elon Musk have seen a few interviews with him before.

P/E ratio is something like 200, so there is an expectation of massive growth and profitability there. This will come down if profitability picks up of course, but if there is a stumble on the way, share price will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

Hey,

Yeah got in 37 in the end but have been in and out, got some great gains but also missed some. It's a tough stock to play with. I probably should of shown more confidence in it but will happily take what I got.
    It was a pity more people weren't interested at the time but unless its a play on some exploration stock in Mongolia that everyone knows everything about it's hard to get a reply on here :)

Happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

liamjames1 wrote: »
    Hey,

Yeah got in 37 in the end but have been in and out, got some great gains but also missed some. It's a tough stock to play with. I probably should of shown more confidence in it but will happily take what I got.
    It was a pity more people weren't interested at the time but unless its a play on some exploration stock in Mongolia that everyone knows everything about it's hard to get a reply on here :)

Happy hunting

Couldn't agree more, unless you are interested in bank of Ireland shares or some high risk oil explorer that hasn't found a single barrel of oil to date, then people on here don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

Seems like new technology areas like electric cars and 3D printers will do well. Check out DDD and XONE as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

tesla is my best performing share at the moment
    are they the new apple
    I got in at the high 80s and being buying as they went up
    what do you think is it too dear now
    not going selling thinking of buying more

Congrats Tommy, nice return. They have run up very quickly in a short time. Personally if I were in your shoes, I would be taking some profit off the table, to try to derisk my remaining investment.

Saying that each to their own, if you want to invest more go for it. If however there is a slip up with Tesla (sales numbers etc) would expect them to drop quickly too.

At this level, I wouldn't invest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Fitz123 wrote: »
    Congrats Tommy, nice return. They have run up very quickly in a short time. Personally if I were in your shoes, I would be taking some profit off the table, to try to derisk my remaining investment.

Saying that each to their own, if you want to invest more go for it. If however there is a slip up with Tesla (sales numbers etc) would expect them to drop quickly too.

At this level, I wouldn't invest.

Same thoughts as myself.

Alternatively you could try get some cover with some put options to protect against a downturn in the sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pennystockwhiz

Fairplay Tommy.. SELL take some profits, its crazy how Telsa is up over 300% this year!

Telsa has high short interest and there could be another short squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pennystockwhiz

Telsa is way overvalued, being priced for enormous profit growth despite not having demonstrated consistent profitability.

TSLA's margins are going to be constrained by the amount of competition (FORD, GM + others) it will face in the mass market that it is trying to enter.

It will be a good short one day soon.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xertpo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It seems over valued now, it has a market cap of 20 Billion, compared to GM who have a market cap of 40 Billion but GM sell a hell of a lot more cares, at the moment anyhow. Would take profits now and revisit in the future. Great buy though if you went in at the start of the year, well done.

Just wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts on Tesla the electric car and component manufacturer in the US. Really feeling like I missed the boat on this one as was looking at it for a while last year when it was around the $27 mark and it closed yesterday around $35. While I am still a big fan of the company, I feel a good bit of the value has been missed in the investment and am not sure if the risk reward payoff of the company is where I would like to get into now. The things that impressed me about the company are as follows:

• Strong management team - big fan of Elon Musk and his work at Zip2, X.com and now space X. This guy seems to know what he is doing, very innovative and seems repected in the industry. He has put his money where his mouth is and got key guys in from Ford and Apple to assist him.
    • Superior performance EV and strong demand pre-production - the company has in excess of 35,000 orders for their cars so far having only produced about 3500 to date
    • Supplier of parts to a number of big motor companies who have also invested ( Daimler, etc)

My concerns
    • Tesla is already behind on production and has had to announce price increases, the majority of pre orders can be assumed to be from wealthy individuals given the price range the car currently sits in and whilst the increases are unlikely to deter, is it a bad sign for the company and will they be able to meet demand expectations
    • I would imagine that market is fairly exhaustive and there move to a cheaper model could prove trickiest where cost becomes far more important and consumers become more price elastic. Some brands although not the same are fairly well developed in Europe - Smart car, Prius and leaf etc.
    Cheers guys

Sometimes I like to torture myself and pop back in to look at this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

It might be near $35 again soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Pacoa wrote: »
    It might be near $35 again soon :)

Why?

My concerns
    Cheers guys

The gift that....never gave :(

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34560/tesla-surpasses-toyota-as-worlds-most-valuable-automaker-after-stock-price-surge

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Tesla was available to buy at around $200 less than a year ago so not sure why your posting an 8 year old post. There have be so many buying opportunities since. If you think you missed out then why not buy today. Who knows what be will be worth in 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

That’s a bizarre link to make. If every manufacturer went kaput because a driver bought their car and did something stupid, there would be none left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

markpb wrote: »
    That’s a bizarre link to make. If every manufacturer went kaput because a driver bought their car and did something stupid, there would be none left.

absolutely, they found a passenger in the back and in the passenger seat and were using a Tesla with driver assist, its not full self driving, how is the end nigh?
    They are so far ahead of everyone its not funny.

Also

https://twitter.com/GerberKawasaki/status/1384133686900051970

Advertisement