Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax (MOD REMINDER: Don't get too personal)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Phoebas wrote: »
    I guess we can be thankful that we have a Government that will at last do what is necessary, not just what is popular.

Thats right, the current shower of gombeens in the FG party only promise what is popular pre-election, where they say FF's plan to introduce an LPT is unfair.

Scroll to page 59 of the document. (published in 2011 may I add)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0215/finegaelmanifesto.pdf

Funding Local Government: Fianna Fail’s proposal, now endorsed by the Labour Party, to introduce by 2014 an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair. But as we tackle the fiscal
    crisis, we will have to cut central exchequer funding for local authorities, and we recognise that local authorities will have to find more sustainable sources of revenue appropriate to local circumstances. What
    will be viewed as fair in South Dublin might be viewed as unworkable in rural Clare.
    In this context, we will empower local authorities to put in place, following the 2014 local elections, fairer
    alternatives to Fianna Fail’s and Labour’s recurring annual tax on the family home
    . The options would include:
    • No extra local taxes, forcing local authorities to close non-priority services and / or to deliver increased
    efficiencies;
    • Increased local user charges for waste etc.; or
    • The option of a local “site sale profits tax”. Such a tax would be levied on the profit made from the site
    value on the sale of a residence (sales proceeds, less cost indexed by inflation, less stamp duty paid and
    less home improvements)
    The final measure might be considered as both fairer and more economically sensible than an annual
    recurring property tax
    . Whichever option local electorates choose, for the first time since the 1970s local
    government will have real independence from central government in deciding what services to provide at
    local level and how to fund them.

That makes them a bunch of coniving liars without a mandate IMO.
    Its in black and white in the legislation

The text used in the manifesto was 'black and white' too Phoebas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

SamHall wrote: »
    That makes them a bunch of coniving liars IMO.
    They clearly didn't get their way. I'd put that down to coalition government and lack of fiscal independence.
    Funding Local Government: Fianna Fail’s proposal, now endorsed by the Labour Party, to introduce by 2014 an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair.

You can see the problem - in any coalition government each party will win some and lose some.
    The text used in the manifesto was 'black and white' too Phoebas.
    I don't think you appreciate the difference between an election manifesto (aspiration) and legislation (law).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

That makes them a bunch of coniving liars without a mandate IMO.

Last year, we had our RA AGM and invited our local FG Cllr along to explain why our estate was not listed under the GE list. He told us to pay the €100, and he PROMISED it would be reviewed this year. Needless to say I am aware of many ( me included) who never paid the HHC.

This year comes along, the b&ll&x can't get ANYTHING done for us, and we even have rats running around the derelict site. The concrete based foundations are STILL there, and the fencing around the site is falling down.

Once again I say I can't wait for the elections next year as this bo&&ox's lies will come home to haunt him. You are so RIGHT Sam, they are ALL lying conniving liars...ONLY thinking of themselves. And how 'people' can come along here and back them is mind-boggling. UNLESS, these same people are td's cllrs in disguise.

Nah....surely not:-)))

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Last year, we had our RA AGM and invited our local FG Cllr along to explain why our estate was not listed under the GE list. He told us to pay the €100, and he PROMISED it would be reviewed this year. Needless to say I am aware of many ( me included) who never paid the HHC.
    Looks like you didn't meet your side of the bargain?

They clearly didn't get their way. I'd put that down to coalition government and lack of fiscal independence.

Labour bullied FG...... Get the boat Phoebas:pac:
    You can see the problem - in any coalition government each party will win some and lose some.

Both lied lost when it came to the banks and bondholders so?
    I don't think you appreciate the difference between an election manifesto (aspiration) and legislation (law).

I 'appreciate' just fine thank you. FG lied to get into Govt, they are as guilty as any of the other political parties spouting populist BS to get what they want.

Elected on a completely false manifesto means they have no mandate IMO, the tiny amount paying the LPT at the first deadline proves that.

Coupled with the failure of CPA2, the end is nigh.

• Advertisement

And how 'people' can come along here and back them is mind-boggling. UNLESS, these same people are td's cllrs in disguise.
    May I ask, why the use of quotes around the word 'people'?

Labour bullied FG...... Get the boat Phoebas:pac:
    Bullied? I never suggested that at all. :mad:

Coupled with the failure of CPA2, the end is nigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

"Taxes are the price of citizenship. If the cap fits, etc."

Does that mean that the few hundred thousand unemployed are not viable citezens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

This post has gone viral on facebook-
    Wexford County Council are sending people door to door asking whether people own or rent the house they're living in. Just had a man at the door, and when I asked why he was asking the question, he hummed and hawed, and I asked, "is it for the property tax?, "No, no," he answered, "I don't know, but I'd say it's for the second home tax", he eventually said. Tell them NOTHING. HOW DARE WEXFORD COUNTY COUNCIL HARASS PEOPLE LIKE THIS. Time for us to up the pickets on the council.

does anyone still think they have a full complete accurate database?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=537229106321066&id=244762212234425

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    Does that mean that the few hundred thousand unemployed are not viable citezens?
    The unemployed pay taxes too. Including the LPT

Am Chile wrote: »
    This post has gone viral on facebook-

does anyone still think they have a full complete accurate database?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=537229106321066&id=244762212234425

Sounds like BS to me - why the hell would the council be going door to door to enforce a Revenue tax. I doubt they'ed be let even if they wanted to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think they still have the Household Charge until July 1. But that was the LGMA. Not sure if they'd have council staff checking details.

"Taxes are the price of citizenship. If the cap fits, etc."

Does that mean that the few hundred thousand unemployed people are not viable citizens?

I guess we can be thankful that we have a Government that will at last do what is necessary.

Necessary for who?

Does that mean that the few hundred thousand unemployed people are not viable citizens?

I do believe that I AM a viable citizen. I pay VAT, Car tax, road tolls, LPT, Household Charge, Septic Tank charge.

That fairytale from Wexford was doing the rounds months ago. It's similar to the articles about the 'Students' who got billed for LPT. They were CAHWT activists and were manning the protests. Neither story has any credibility.

Necessary for who?

LOL, Is this phoebas for real? Know what is necessary DH? To ensure ALL politicians have a cosy house, with as big a pension as possible.

Someone up above PLEASE help our little country, because obviously we have politicians and supporter's of theirs who think only of themselves.

I do believe that I AM a viable citizen. I pay VAT, Car tax, road tolls, LPT, Household Charge, Septic Tank charge.

That fairytale from Wexford was doing the rounds months ago. It's similar to the articles about the 'Students' who got billed for LPT. They were CAHWT activists and were manning the protests. Neither story has any credibility.

I can read ma, and ( please remember I am not on FB) when I open the link...I DIDN'T upload the link, OK?... it says it's THREE HOURS old..NOT month.

I also blieve I am a 'viable citizen' as I pay my taxes, VAT, PRSI, road tolls (?), USC, but I am fúcked if I am going to pay a tax on a house that is MINE....and already paid a huge tax when buying it.

Language, LeD! I'm very sensitive, you know.

Sorry Phil, not able to take the heat?

You still haven't proved how that Wexford link is months old. According to my pc, when I open the site, it's only 3 HOURS old.

Another falacy of your fg bunch of cronies?

• Advertisement

Oh and can you explain something to me ma.

What has road tolls got to do with making a person a 'viable citizen'? Don't pay the tolls, and they bring you to court and sue the ass off you....

Sensitive? Maybe.

Principled? Nope.

What has road tolls got to do with making a person a 'viable citizen'? Don't pay the tolls, and they bring you to court and sue the ass off you....

I think what she's saying is that she's unemployed?

Sam

This bunch of spin doctors are grasping at straws. You proved it yesterday when ma/phil used the Indo when it suited their agenda.

2 faced if ever I came across a bunch!

Sensitive? Maybe.

Principled? Nope.

Principled? Hmmmm. If that means that I believe in something, such as supporting efforts to get Ireland, a wonderful country, back on its feet, then YES, I AM principled.

Same as they will do if you don't pay the LPT

Principled? Hmmmm. If that means that I believe in something, such as supporting efforts to get Ireland, a wonderful country, back on its feet, then YES, I AM principled.

Even if the party you support flat out rejected one in their pre-election manifesto as recently as 2011?

Also, do your principles get skewed at times, depending on what particular media outlet reports on something?

OMG..and I am battling to respect your sensitivity here phil....please tell me what is wonderful about a country, that has a church trying to dictate to it's politicians ( and here I back Kenny 100% for standing up to that imbecile with a collar), to a system, which has forced me to pay PAYE ayet as a sel-employed worker can't claim a effing cent off the dole should I go belly-up, or takes no action ( so far ) on a TD who stuck 2 fingers up at revenue over a debt of over €2M, and then has another who is allowed ( well, he somehow did it) him to get penalty points quashed because he's a td??, and the gobshíte who didn't pay the €2M in VAT then says the other guy was wrong to get the points dropped?

We are a 3rd world country in everything but our location...SADLY!

Will you PLEASE make up your mind ma....either you under this name, or someone under another name...has said we won't vbe sued for refuasal to pay, that revenue will take from source.

Just what is the TRUTH??????

• Advertisement

They will:confused:

I thought they'd forcibly take it from us:rolleyes:

Are you really keeping up to speed with this whole issue at all M.A or are you blindly posting information and advice hoping you're correct?

Advertisement