Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social care studies at lit interview tips

Options
  • 19-04-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi i have an interview for social care at LIT coming up and would like to know what type of questions to expect in the interview and what topics i can expect the 300 word essay to be on any help would be much appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elfie_the_elf

I have my interview next week for this course..not sure what to expect for the essay question

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dougal707

same here wot day u in 4 interrogation

tuesday morning..you? do you know how many places they have for mature students? can't find it on their site..

i'm tue too most courses only take about 2 of us oldies but it depends on experience and ability and the interview i suppose have done any research or other courses to prepare for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

Hi,

I wouldnt worry too much about the amount of places for mature students i am in my final year and the majority of my year are mature/in from plc's. I think they quite like having a mature student population in the course as the life experience etc is invaluable!

Good Luck in the Interviews!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thank's for the info and for the kind wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellen1982

Hey guys how did ye get on just wondering if ye were offered a place, i wasnt sure how many mature students they were taking, i got offered a place delighted so just wondering how many places did go to mature students, its a very popular course :)

hi well done :) i'm still waiting not heard anything yet but they said it could take a while before we all got reply's

Hi, I got offered a place aswell, I'm not sure how many mature students they take on..but I know they kind of like mature students for this course..they base a lot of it on life experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tintin15

Hi there just to let u guys know. I asked during the interview and they told me that last year. They took in 160 students for this course, and 40 were mature students. Got accepted myself am both delighted and nervous!

• Advertisement

Well done on getting a place tintin! I feel exactly the same way-excited but very nervous..been a while since I've been in education but it's supposed to have a lot of support for mature students. I've just been approved for back to education aswell, so that's a huge weight off my shoulders! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

Hi, I got accepted too!! delighted..
    Just wondering if anyone has applied for a grant yet, this years forms are not avail, I have apppointment with social welfare this week about BTEA, but wondering if I should also go to my local VEC also? to get the ball rolling as they say!
    cheers

The forms aren't out yet for the grant, I checked already and they said come back at the end of June. You can't get both the grant and the BTEA as of last year. To get BTEA you have to be on social welfare for 234 days. If you go on www.citizensinformation.ie it'll help you figure out which one is best for you. Even if you get BTEA, you have to fill out the application for grant and they'll pay your registration fees and you'll get a once off payment of €500 towards materials. But you won't get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

Thanks Elfie, thought as much!

u also need to be living in ireland for the last 3 yrs to get the registration fees paid other grants like the €500 its not a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 singlemum

Hi This is going to be a long shot but im hoping someone will answer me.. I have an interview for it in 2 days very very nervous. really have a feelin i wont know somthing they are asking me or sumthing will go wrong. Can anyone give me atleast a clue what to expect from the interview and the 300 word essay Please :) it will be really appriciated? Thanks in advance if anyone acully sees this :)

hi singlemum. i am judging by the name u are female good news for u if u get the interviewer i got she all but said there was no chance because i was male. this was confirmed to me by a fellow tutor in at the college later in the year when i accepted another course (i also got an apology plus an offer on the course in jan when some others had dropped out but i was settled on the course i am still doing) most of the interviewers are very nice and helpful i have gotten to know them over the last couple of years. anyway best advice be yourself have a cv filled in fully they look for gaps in it and want to know what u were doing during those gaps. if u have young children they will want to know how u are going to plan your studying around them and they will want to know if u have enough time to attend all classes (have a written plan of this with u) and know who will look after the kids? in emergencies etc. what previous experience do u have and have u previously done courses. this will show commitment to studying and time management skills. there can be a panel of 1 2 or 3 interviewers depending on how many they are interviewing and how far they fall behind in time. what is the topic of the essay. the spaces are very limited for mature students. if u can send me some more info about yourself and your experience and essay topic i can send u some more useful info. but biggest advise stay calm listen to what they ask and think about it before answering, smile and be friendly. if i don't hear from u before the interview good luck and let me know how u do.

I got a replay so excited thanks for that :) I am really sorry to hear about ur situation but u must be very in ur other course so thats all it matters! Ha I didnt think i even needed a CV well ill b busy doind that now so for the evning thanks for that.. I have not been given a topic of an essay so i hv the google roooted out anyway for the most common things and basic things about social care. Thanks for ur advice very appriciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mod

Hi singlemum. Just ease back on the bit of text speak please. Thanks

UNDERSTUD Laughing Out Loud Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LOL is grand! :pac:

ha ok then :):)

ok then if no topic it is just the standard one there is loads of info easily sourced on google just know the difference between social work and social care as it trips up a lot of people. here is a good web page to get you started.
    http://staffweb.itsligo.ie/gateway/asp/whatis.asp

Hiya, I am just finishing 2nd year of this course and I had to do the same interview. The lecturers are lovely and the interview was very informal. Saying that, any bit of relevant experience you have, bring it up. Even things you don't think are relevant. The essay we were given was on the necessary qualities of a social care worker. Things like confidentiality, boundaries with clients, good communication even with those whose communication is different, altruism, knowledge of correct procedures/policies, knowledge about any conditions clients might have, legal obligations etc. It's really just to make sure you will be able to keep up with the course and that your english will be good enough. They love mature students on the course. :) There's more on our course than any other course. Also, if you say that you've considered financial implications and childcare and are committed to the course. They're the sort of thinks they like to hear! :) Good luck with your interview and if you want any more info about it let me know!

Hi dougal707 i found that link as well.. thank you so much for your help guys. i really dont have any experince or anything but i really do want this so i will just be honest with them and really really hope they will give me a chance! Thanks elfie_the_elf for your reply to really appriciated!

You're welcome. Hope it all goes well for you. If you have kids, that's experience, play to that! :)

Advertisement