Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGregor v Parke

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

unknown13 wrote: »
    The more I think of it the more I think this fight if it happens should not happen at a UFC event on the island of Ireland. The north / south politics doesn't come into play in MMA and I think the very vast majority of people don't want it either. If the fight happened on the island of Ireland then there will be sectarian arguments and fights in the crowd.

This exactly. I'd love to see them fight but politics would inevitably be involved. MMA doesn't need any of this.

As said before it won't be political for the fighters but casual fans will definitely start arguing and I think the UFC might underestimate how carried away people can get over things like this.

I don't think Conor meant it as people are saying, he's just saying that Norman considers himself as british over Irish, he probably said it the way he did as the most americans haven't a clue about the history.

Would be a great fight but I personally hope it doesn't happen for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I like Connor but this whole Irish v British "He's with us or against us" stuff is bullish*t. The amount of people who hate Rory McIlroy because he identifies as both nationalities and not just Irish is ridiculous. They're mostly the same people who will scream about a Catholic's right to identify as Irish if born in NI.

I know Connor's situation isn't really a big deal, but it's still nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The amount of people who hate Rory McIlroy because he identifies as both nationalities and not just Irish is ridiculous.

You don't understand that situation. In most sports except football, we play as one. Rugby being the biggest example. Also hockey, tennis, cricket. You don't get to choose. There is simply no decision. People hate McIIroy because he said he would play for GB when he is not supposed to. Religion or identity is absolutely nothing to do with it. The golfing union of Ireland runs golf on this island for everyone of all religions. Therefore in golf if you are a catholic from the falls or presbyterian from the shankill or a jew from terenure you must play for Ireland.

[/quote]They're mostly the same people who will scream about a Catholic's right to identify as Irish if born in NI.
    [/quote]

I hope you are under 20 years old because that is the most embarrassing statement in boards history. For example, If your family has been Irish for the last thousand years and you are born in Tyrone ( or anywhere else ) you are Irish. It's not a right. Its not something that you choose to identify. It's what you are.

Anyway I hope they don't fight. Shame for one to derail the other. Norman was sound on Tuf whatever team he was on.

Stillweak wrote: »
    You don't understand that situation.

I think you'll find I understand quite well.
    In most sports except football, we play as one. Rugby being the biggest example. Also hockey, tennis, cricket. You don't get to choose. There is simply no decision.
    Not really the point.

People hate McIIroy because he said he would play for GB when he is not supposed to. Religion or identity is absolutely nothing to do with it. The golfing union of Ireland runs golf on this island for everyone of all religions. Therefore in golf if you are a catholic from the falls or presbyterian from the shankill or a jew from terenure you must play for Ireland.
    Not in the Olympics you don't. Athletes from Northern Ireland have the right to represent GB if they want to. In fact, he will be eligible to play for GB in Rio if he wishes as there is a rule saying that if 3 years has passed since he last represented Ireland he is free to represent GB.

I hope you are under 20 years old because that is the most embarrassing statement in boards history. For example, If your family has been Irish for the last thousand years and you are born in Tyrone ( or anywhere else ) you are Irish. It's not a right. Its not something that you choose to identify. It's what you are.
    I think you'll find that had my entire family for 1000 years been Irish and I was born in Tyrone, I would be British. I would also be Irish as people from Northern Ireland can have duel nationalities under the Good Friday agreement (and people from Northern Ireland are called "Irish" too). It'e their RIGHT to identify as British, Irish or both.

If my family has been Irish for a thousand years and I was born in Mexico, i'd be Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I think you'll find I understand quite well.

Not really the point.

Not in the Olympics you don't. Athletes from Northern Ireland have the right to represent GB if they want to. In fact, he will be eligible to play for GB in Rio if he wishes as there is a rule saying that if 3 years has passed since he last represented Ireland he is free to represent GB.

I think you'll find that had my entire family for 1000 years been Irish and I was born in Tyrone, I would be British. I would also be Irish as people from Northern Ireland can have duel nationalities under the Good Friday agreement (and people from Northern Ireland are called "Irish" too). It'e their RIGHT to identify as British, Irish or both.

If my family has been Irish for a thousand years and I was born in Mexico, i'd be Mexican.

Leave it out lads. Time and a place.

• Advertisement

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Leave it out lads. Time and a place.

Leave what out? It's a discussion about McGregor v Parke. McGregor said one of the reasons he'd like to fight him is essentially because he feels Parke should pick a side. If he's Brisith, be British. If he's Irish, be Irish.

I don't see why this isn't the time and the place for talking about it?

Also, just because something is an emotive subject, doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Norman on Helwani's show now. Sounds like he isn't happy with Mc Gregor's comments and the North / South tensions.

My god, Helwani is a serious **** stirrer. No wonder Nick Diaz didn't like Helwani for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

This is the reason this ****e should not have been brought up in the first place. Serves no purpose and was a bad move from Conor to talk about it IMO. Let the two lads get on with it now and hopefully meet further into their UFC careers.

I should add that Norman handled the questions brilliantly and professionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Norman on Helwani's show now. Sounds like he isn't happy with Mc Gregor's comments and the North / South tensions.

My god, Helwani is a serious **** stirrer. No wonder Nick Diaz didn't like Helwani for a good while.

sh#t stirring is helwani's bread and butter, I like how he's not afraid to ask difficult question but when he does this it really pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Was strange on mma hour when Connor mentioned the whole Irish or British thing but afew sentences later said it doesn't matter ,I think he knows its something that mite dived fans and didn't know himself if he really wanted to go down that road,

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

I don't think McGregor should mention this subject, especially as the depth of his knowledge on the topic is wearing a celtic jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

I don't think McGregor should mention this subject, especially as the depth of his knowledge on the topic is wearing a celtic jersey.

How would you know this?
    He's a very intelligent person and well educated on Irish history!
    So your comment is horse shiiit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i do think its a subject he should steer clear off bur A bit much to claim he knows nothing on the subject, how the hell would you know ????

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Hey, hey, let's hear this guy out! I eat loads of Double Deckers and I like to think the nougat helps me think things goodly.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Felt like when McGregor mentioned it first he then tried to steer clear from it. Parke answered well mind you. Cant see this going any further.

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

i wouldn't be surprised if the ppl advising sbg guys on PR will tell him to reel it in and never mention subject again.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Leave what out? It's a discussion about McGregor v Parke. McGregor said one of the reasons he'd like to fight him is essentially because he feels Parke should pick a side. If he's Brisith, be British. If he's Irish, be Irish.

I don't see why this isn't the time and the place for talking about it?

Also, just because something is an emotive subject, doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken about.

Both lads have quite clearly picked thier sides

Get it on FFS :mad:

Using someone like Diaz to back up norm ??? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Richy06 wrote: »
    Hey, hey, let's hear this guy out! I eat loads of Double Deckers and I like to think the nougat helps me think things goodly.

post of the fúcking year :D

Helwani just fúcking tweeted Norman's interview now. I would love to see the UFC revoke his credentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Helwani just fúcking tweeted Norman's interview now. I would love to see the UFC revoke his credentials.

Just seen that...stirring barstewart!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    He tweeted an interview from his show like he does every week.
    He also just tweeted Akira's call out of Conor.

This is completely normal really

BeepBeep! wrote: »

head-in-the-sand1.jpeg

Destined to fight – What McGregor vs Parke would mean to Irish MMA

conornorman.jpg
    With both their careers and national successes being materialised under the banner of promotions like Cage Contender and Immortal Fighting Championships, it is nothing new for the Irish MMA scene to hear about the possibility of Norman Parke and Conor McGregor facing off against each other.
    After his initial start in 2008, McGregor was absent from the scene for nearly two years, and just eight months after Parke saw off one of his SBGi teammates, Myles Price, the Dubliner announced his return to the sport with a signature first round knockout of Connor Dillon in December 2010.

Not only were they both young, enthusiastic prospects, the two fighters seemed to jump between the featherweight and lightweight divisions and, interestingly, they both own losses to Joseph Duffy, one of the first Irish MMA stars who has now turned to boxing, which in both cases seemed to have a lit a fire under their aspirations in the sport.
    It’s fair to say, well before the UFC, well before the mass media attention and well before most of the world let these two men into their consciousness – this is something that has always been on the cards, if only through a similar ascent on a national basis.
    The idea took a shot in the arm again when McGregor was interviewed by Ariel Helwani after he launched himself into the vernacular of fight fans world wide with a stunning knockout over Marcus Brimage on Saturday April 6, in Stockholm, Sweden.
    “The Notorious” brand had first been fed to an international audience in the build up to the Brimage bout on Helwani’s “The MMA Hour”
    “Stay ready so I don’t have to get ready”, his “****ing delicious” blueberries, his declaration as “the two weight world champ”, he was something new that American MMA audiences hadn’t quite seen before.
    The truth is McGregor has always been like that. Whether interviewing him beside a dumpster or with two world titles over his shoulders – that’s just him, that’s why people love him and that’s why people have become attached to him so quickly.
    Something that has been talked about in the past is the unique angles that McGregor strikes from and since his immergence on the international scene, we know that he can strike equally as hard with his sharp tongue.
    “I suppose Norman Parke is a 155er,” said McGregor when Helwani asked him about possible future opponents. “He is the other Irishman, but he’s from Northern Ireland and he carries another (flag), well, it’s all a history thing and I don’t give a ****, but that could be a good fight.
    “It would be a great contest for the European scene. You know, me and Norman kind of came up together on the same circuit, even since before the UFC we’ve been mentioned in the same bracket.”
    McGregor went on to say he would finish the Antrim man in “half a minute”, but until Monday, it was unknown as to how Parke felt about his name being dropped into the conversation.
    “People bring religion into this sport and I don’t think that’s a good idea. My friends got caught up in that bollocks when we were younger and where are they now? They’re working nine to five jobs doing **** all,” he said.
    “We grew up in the same fight circuit as he said, we were meant to fight a few times. We were beating everybody on the local scene and people definitely wanted to see that.”
    Parke also said something very important – “some people would like to see that fight for the wrong reason.”
    There is no doubt with the religious feuds that have separated the island for hundreds of years, of course some people would try to use the fight as a propaganda or sectarian fodder, but one thing that hasn’t been highlighted is the unity between North and South when it comes to MMA.
    People travel the length and breadth of Ireland to compete in MMA leagues, jiu jitsu tournaments and of course, professional MMA bouts. There is alcohol consumed at these events, testosterone is on high but rarely will you hear of discrimination or attacks being launched at people from the wrong side of the border.
    In Ireland, the sport has transcended the boundaries and the politics in many ways, and although Parke was understandably defensive after hearing McGregor reference the different flags, he must remember the cunning nature of the Crumlin man when it comes to putting arses in seats.
    In McGregor’s words, the two men “don’t give a ****” about any type of religious feud, but there is no doubt that the Countdownproducers are already licking their lips at the idea of such a bout and it could be one that makes both McGregor and Parke a lot of money down the line.
    I say down the line because it is not in the interest of the Irish MMA community to see two of their greatest stars go toe to toe yet. Parke is coming straight off his TUF Smashes success and he’s set for a bout with Kazuki Tokudome now at UFC 162, where he can show, once again, why his star is steadily on the rise.
    McGregor is back in action when the UFC make their Fox Sports 1 debut, and if he banks another earth shattering knockout, he will surely become the face of “the Fighting Irish” and one of the countries biggest sports stars, if he hasn’t already.
    Ideally both of these fantastic athletes will continue their climb to the top and then, when the time is right, they can face off and give Ireland a fantastic night of celebration rather than one where violence outside of the cage dominates the headlines.
    Such altercations can always be a possibility when such a controversial topic is mentioned in the same breath a sporting encounter, but one things for sure, after years of people from the Republic heading up North for competition and vice versa, we, the Irish MMA community, know how to act in such situations and respect comes first, before any religious and political agenda.
    By Peter Carroll – @PetesyCarroll

Conor McGregor Irish MMA Norman Parke Peter Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

“He is the other Irishman, but he’s from Northern Ireland and he carries another (flag), well, it’s all a history thing and I don’t give a ****, but that could be a good fight.

Really showed his lack of intelligence here, or maybe it's just ignorance.

Err, its all a history thing, I don't give a ****, but I'm going to bring it up anyways, even though nobody asked about it.

What a dumbass, irrelavent point to bring up and then back down on in the same sentence.

Classy response by Norman, fair play to him not rising to that rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

monkey8 wrote: »

Err, its all a history thing, I don't give a ****, but I'm going to bring it up anyways, even though nobody asked about it.

What a dumbass, irrelavent point to bring up and then back down on in the same sentence.

Ruh roh.

Just reading what some of the fighters have said above and every time I think of this subject I loose more and more respect for Mc Gregor.

I am starting to believe more and more that Mc Gregor doesn't want to state the obvious why he wants to fight Parke. I wonder would he have mentioned Parke on the late late in front of a primetime Irish audience.

You're a bit slow on the uptake eh ? Or maybe your view on all things Irish is blinkered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

You're a bit slow on the uptake eh ? Or maybe your view on all things Irish is blinkered :rolleyes:

Haha, amazing point you make there! Care to elaborate or are you just going to make a generic comment with no substance?!

• Advertisement

Haha, amazing point you make there! Care to elaborate or are you just going to make a generic comment with no substance?!

Read back on the thread kid. I'm sure it'll sink in sooner rather than later for someone with your exceptional and astute intelligence ;)

Advertisement