Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syria - An amazing set of pictures

Options
  • 28-04-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

However some are fairly graphic - be warned.

What I find sad about the situation there is that journalists no longer have the inclination or the guts to report on situations like this anymore like they used to in Bosnia, Lebanon and other trouble spots that arose.

Now they seem to want to be embedded with an army however much they protested at first. The result is a total lack of information about whats going on in these situations.
    I pity the ordinary people most of all and I deeply mistrust any foreign country that comments on the situation there.

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2013/04/a-stunning-set-of-photos-from-syria.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is one that instantly comes to mind, the moment a tank shell hit them:
    rwrYy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Thanks for sharing these, the destruction is insane

8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What I find sad about the situation there is that journalists no longer have the inclination or the guts to report on situations like this anymore like they used to in Bosnia, Lebanon and other trouble spots that arose.

Now they seem to want to be embedded with an army however much they protested at first. The result is a total lack of information about whats going on in these situations.
    I pity the ordinary people most of all and I deeply mistrust any foreign country that comments on the situation there.

Thanks so Much for starting this thread! I don't think I will ever understand this destruction in its' every shape and form! The image below is really poignant for me though

9.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Massive explosion in Demascus tonight, the few smaller ones at first are apparently the bombs hitting, the big one could be from fuel or ammo or anything, I'm not sure:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Israel bombed Damascus last night with their bombers! It could be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Israel bombed Damascus last night with their bombers! It could be that.

These pictures just prove why people should sanction israel for its actions in palestine and syria, they're the real threat in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I totally disagree with your journalist bashing. We should all open our eyes beyond the usual/easy avenues for news and you will see it all. Just because Sky News or BBC News aren't showing it, doesn't mean there isn't people out there risking it all to bring some amazing photos and stories to the general public. I believe it's our responsibility to meet these people half way and not to leave it to Murdoch & co to spoon-feed us.

There's more out there then ever before, especially with social media playing it's part. As if we ever got to see the full depravity of Bosnia, Vietnam or the likes of Cambodia.

The Pulitzer prize is an example of some of the good work:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/04/pictures/130416-pulitzer-prize-award-winners-syria-photography/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I agree with not being spoon fed but my problem with social media is you have no idea really who is telling you what is happening or why.

Although in times of war/ civil unrest the mainstream news sources get it totally wrong as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tysongee

Holy ****, I never realized how good we have it. Some of those are scary and sad at the same time.

Advertisement