Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World's smallest movie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Pretty awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

I thought the dialog wasn't great and the acting a bit wooden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I liked the part when the boy had the atom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ah..now I know why the bonuses were so small this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's kinda cool I guess :/
    Just not really seeing the point of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would be very hard to see the point seeing as how it's way smaller than a wavelength of light :pac:

You know those guys who carve faces on matchsticks or write stuff on grains of rice ? This is like that taken to the very limits of physics. (OK you could probably use lithium but carbon is way more interesting , graphene is weird and very very strong. )

Each of the dot's are individual carbon atoms which they dragged into position with two tonnes of equipment, at 5 Kelvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It would be very hard to see the point seeing as how it's way smaller than a wavelength of light :pac:

You know those guys who carve faces on matchsticks or write stuff on grains of rice ? This is like that taken to the very limits of physics. (OK you could probably use lithium but carbon is way more interesting , graphene is weird and very very strong. )

Each of the dot's are individual carbon atoms which they dragged into position with two tonnes of equipment, at 5 Kelvin.

i lit my own fart once :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Hardiharhar :)

People who carve matchstick are making art, and cheaply at that.
    I'm just wondering wtf IBM are bothering to waste money on something that pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

up and at them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hardiharhar :)

People who carve matchstick are making art, and cheaply at that.
    I'm just wondering wtf IBM are bothering to waste money on something that pointless!
    WOW I'm impressed that RTE is the first site I've seen with the technical details

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0501/389843-ibm-creates-worlds-smallest-movie-from-atoms/
    In the video, individual carbon monoxide molecules are repeatedly rearranged to show a boy dancing, throwing a ball and bouncing on a trampoline.

Each frame measures 45 by 25 nanometers, there are 25 million nanometers in an inch, but hugely magnified.

The other explanation is that the IBM people figured out a way to avoid hard work for a week

The thing about pure research is you don't know where it might lead. And IBM & co,. have pulled a lot of rabbits out of the hat over the years.

An earlier IBM computer occupied 20,000 square feet, used 3MW of power with a performance of 75,000 instructions per second. but Tahiti can evaluate 7.6 terapixels per second so you can buy a second hand video card that's 100 million times faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Meh. Unimpressed. Show me the biggest movie, planets as pixels! Now that would be a sight to see.

I'd probably need a bigger laptop screen though...

;)

Seriously though. Wow! The things they can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm confused.

So each little ball is an individual atom?

Well if I remember from my physics class many moons ago, an atom is a nucleus with an electron cloud spinning around it?

So does the fact that each atom looks like a ball bearing in this clip mean that the silver. metallic effect is actually us looking at electrons spinnng?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Basically, they are working on new ways of storing data. Every Hard Disk Drive manufactured at the moment uses technology created by IBM which allows the super high capacity we all enjoy. (frequently referred to as 'pixie dust'...google it!).

But, there are density limits for the current methods of storing data (magnetically), so there is a rush to find the next method. Whomever succeeds will dominate the storage industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

What's the backdrop made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sofaspud wrote: »

atoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Grey. At least 40 shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

how it was made. pretty cool science

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Copper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

Advertisement