Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

series 3 landrover

• 29-04-2013 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi ,quick question about these lovely Landrovers.
    I am unsure between buying a old discovery and a series 3 Landrover.

The series 3 i am thinking about might need the chassis to be replaced by a new galvanized one , would that affect the vintage road tax ?
    Was told that the vintage is based on the age of the chassis.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

buy one already done from the uk, as long as the chassis is stamped the same as the book you'll be grand, technically you should inform the customs if you change it here and be re-assessed for vrt and given a new reg and the huge tax that goes with it. old disco's rust just as much as series vehicles but have no character whatsoever. have you driven a series3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Like ^^ says, look for one in the UK in good nick but they aren't cheap anymore. There are some very tasty examples here but the owners don't often part with them!

Strictly speaking a new galvanised chassis becomes a new vehicle here but it has been done, get a new chassis stamped before it's delivered. Also treble the amount of time and cost you allowed for when pricing a chassis swop for all the other problems you find!! It could be very satisfying building up your own vehicle though.

Disco 1, especially passenger ones, could have terminal bodyframe rot (rear floor + arches, sills and front inner wings). Same applies to classic Range Rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

Thanks guys , no never driven a series 3. I know it is more or less as comfortable as a vintage tractor but always wanted one so will be getting one :P
    The fact that there is no Doe and low road tax is also a big plus. That will be my week-end car so no big drives in it.

What do you mean by "get a new chassis stamped before it's delivered" ?

Dumb question i know but changing a chassis is not something i do on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

what we mean is that some vehicles have come over from the uk and the chassis wasn't stamped, also if you buy a galv chassis it will come with no number stamped on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

so if i understand you well when i buy a new galvanized chassis from the UK i should give them the existing chassis number to have it stamped on the new one ? am i correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd have no problem with a classic landrover getting a new chassis and still being a classic....it's when old chassises (chassii?) are allegedly used to put newer bodies on that I baulk. The chassis is the first bit to rot not the body. Also what is the historical value of an original chassis with a range rover body bolted on? There's no sense in allowing this, and in most cases I'd say that the body never leaves it original chassis anyway!

OT rant over (for now)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

corktina wrote: »
    chassises (chassii?)

I haven't on this occasion looked it up, but I assume that it's like sheep, the plural being the same as the singular. Have you taken a deep breath yet? :D

you can't fit a sheep instead of a chassis, get a grip man!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

corktina wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with a classic landrover getting a new chassis and still being a classic....it's when old chassises (chassii?) are allegedly used to put newer bodies on that I baulk. The chassis is the first bit to rot not the body. Also what is the historical value of an original chassis with a range rover body bolted on? There's no sense in allowing this, and in most cases I'd say that the body never leaves it original chassis anyway!

OT rant over (for now)

Blinded by your own perceptions.

Chassis are not the first bit to rot on a range rover. Its usually the sills and the bulkhead and rear cross member. Also chassis repairs are much easier than bodies. If they do have any issues so they tend to survive longer.

You clearly know little about land rovers if you think the idea is to use a series chassis with a RRC body. They dont fit. Range Rover chassis get Range Rover bodies or disco bodies put on them.

Blinded am I? I wasn't talking about RR bodies rotting, I was talking about Classic Landy bodies, clearly you would not scrap a sound body on a Landy to fit a RR or other body for no good reason and why would you fit an old Landy chassis instead of a RR/Disco chassis or even a new one?

What you state is exactly my point, glad you agree...most of these chassis swaps don't actually happen! What happens is someone buys a RR/disco and sticks the plates off an old Landy on it and benefits fraudulently from Classic Tax/insurance/NCT exemption to the eventuall detriment of the entire Classic fraternity.

As you state, it's not the chassis on a RR that rots first, it's the body...so why would someone strip the body off a RR ,potentially the worst bit of it and potentially with a sound chassis, and fit it to a replacement chassis?

I don't think you read my post properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

I think your neglecting the fact that people do genuinely and legally do these conversions. Ive seen people do it properly. So to make such a sweeping statement you have tarred everyone with the same brush. Im far from saying these things never happen but you statements on this matter make it look like the dodgy people are the rule not the exception.

I think your neglecting the fact that people do genuinely and legally do these conversions. Ive seen people do it properly. So to make such a sweeping statement you have tarred everyone with the same brush. Im far from saying these things never happen but you statements on this matter make it look like the dodgy people are the rule not the exception.

you read what you want to read!
    In both relevant posts I said "most"...that means it isn't the rule, but I'd say the exceptions are in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Cortina...this is your utter hobby horse for years. It happens, and will continue to happen Especially with landies as they are like Lego re parts. Those that are screwing the system are the same as those driving around with the family in a hilux 4 cab and it a commercial.

I had a 90 body on a 88ish chassis mated to a v8 for years. It passed the vrt people on import. As a paye earner paying at least 53% income tax if this is my biggest sin well boohoo.

the issue is not that people are tax avoiding, (which is hurting us all as it happens), but that they are potentially hazzarding the concessions enjoyed by the Classic Fraternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

@ Corkey....
    I agree with you - ringing is just wrong.
    Its not just illegal -its decitful.
    As you know, I have the two (genuine) Irish reg Zephyr and Zodiac - while the reg does not make them more valuable - it does make them more precious (to me anyway)............
    However,
    I do think Landrovers are a particular case - due to their construction,
    1/4 chassis 1/2 chassis and replacment full chassis are available- for replacment- to make the vehicle safe and road worthy.
    I have had a couple over the years and could not understand why/how performing body swops was acceptable,
    The Vin plate is fitted to the bulk head ( which is also a bolt off part....?)
    It seems that due to their meccano like construction- you can replace all parts and the reg stays with the vin????
    is this correct- I dont know, is this right- I still dont know, but it is the way it is, and it keeps a few classics motoring.
    There are and always will be a few unscrupulus Bastards who will hook the system- you shouldnt get hung up on it... it will burn you out.:D
    Cheers,
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Agreed, people ringing are putting us all in jeopardy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement