Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a Dublin Airport announcement.

Options
  • 20-01-2012 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

You know those announcements you hear when your standing at the departures building having a smoke.

"This is a no smoking area, please use the designated smoking areas....provided."

I hate that girl that does the recording!! She sounds so nasally and whiny and it's an embarrassment to think that all the visitors to our little island hear her as the "standard Irish" accent. And why is it that she says everything in one tone and then says the last word down a whole tone. It's the most annoying voice I've ever heard.

There's a guy too, he's more rare, but an absolutely awful voice.

"This is a set down area only....something something."

And then the worst one of all, "Bags should not be left unattended. Unattended bags will be removed and may be....destroyed" Again with that awful tone drop on the last word.

Seems trivial but it p*sses me off for some reason. I can't wait to get through security and into the sky bar to calm my temper after hearing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Arpa wrote: »
    You know those announcements you hear when your standing at the departures building having a smoke.

"This is a no smoking area, please use the designated smoking areas....provided."

I hate that girl that does the recording!! She sounds so nasally and whiny and it's an embarrassment to think that all the visitors to our little island hear her as the "standard Irish" accent. And why is it that she says everything in one tone and then says the last word down a whole tone. It's the most annoying voice I've ever heard.

There's a guy too, he's more rare, but an absolutely awful voice.

"This is a set down area only....something something."

And then the worst one of all, "Bags should not be left unattended. Unattended bags will be removed and may be....destroyed" Again with that awful tone drop on the last word.

Seems trivial but it p*sses me off for some reason. I can't wait to get through security and into the sky bar to calm my temper after hearing it.

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Seems trivial

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

They should get the woman who does the Bord Gais dail-a-read to do the Airport announcements. Now there's a sexy voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

It's supposed to be annoying as they are just the type of voices that don't become background noise - hence the reason you remember each and every word of each and every one of the annoucements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

I was seeing if anyone else had had the same experience and found it irritating. Couldn't give a toss if it's a first world problem or not; I live in the first world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

It's supposed to be annoying as they are just the type of voices that don't become background noise - hence the reason you remember each and every word of eah and every one of the annoucements.

They could get those girls with the husky whispery voices that do those late night sex chat line ads instead?

"This is a no smoking area big boy, please use the designated smoking areas....provided. Ohhh yeeaaahh, use those areas."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Get the guy from the old spice ads.

'Look at your bags, now back to your child, now back to your bags, now back to your child'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah Dublin Airport

I haven't been in the new terminal

But I remember the walk to Pier D for Ryanair, I thought I was in Co Meath

I don't know these announcements but now I have Bus Éireann in my head
    "Stand clear, luggage doors operating"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh yes, who could forget the Bus Eireann one. I quite like it actually. I think his voice sounds rather paternal, worrying about us getting our heads jammed in the automatic door; telling us to stand clear in that authoritative -- yet ever so clement -- a manner.

Firm, but not too firm.
    Friendly, but not invasive.
    Just perfect, really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hate that girl that does the recording!! She sounds so nasally and whiny.......

She - is the reason I quit smokin.

I reckon they make it sound deliberatly annoying in order to get smokers through security early so they spend their cash in the Sky Bar.

Well, I saw through their snakey little game and pre-empted their motives. ;)

Lapin 1 - Dublin Airport 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Best announcer is the Irish rail lad. But you should hear the one in the train toilet telling you not to smoke. Sounds like an angry Asian women screaming at you.
    I wasn't even smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

they should get kirsteen O'Sullivan from 3e to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

"Please do not leave bags unattended, unattended bags will be destroyed"

I have a friend called mags -we call her unattended mags after the announcement:D

I used to go out with her, I broke it off when she would say "If your underpants are left unattended in the bathroom once more they will be removed and maybe destroyed".

Yeesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

"Bags should not be left unattended. Unattended bags will be removed and may be....destroyed"
    Mate, worked there only for a couple of months four years back. After each shift there was nothing left in your mind except for the announcement.

Even now - I can't take this voice out of my head "...will be removed and may be destroyed" - can't be removed and won't be destroyed. help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

How bout that bitch on the radio every hour

"It's one o'clock, time is precious.... blah blah"
    "It's two o'clock, time is precious.... blah blah"

Now theres a voice i'd like destroyed. And yes I understand the fact that I'm talking about it means the advertising works, but I cant even remember what the ad is for.

*Subconciously walks towards Paul Sheeran Jewellers*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

later10 wrote: »
    Oh yes, who could forget the Bus Eireann one. I quite like it actually. I think his voice sounds rather paternal, worrying about us getting our heads jammed in the automatic door; telling us to stand clear in that authoritative -- yet ever so clement -- a manner.

Firm, but not too firm.
    Friendly, but not invasive.
    Just perfect, really.

Bus Eireann voice guy would make a fantastic Taoiseach.

"Difficult decisions are never easy ..."

• Site Banned Posts: 1 pcarr91

try working beside those speakers on a 12 hour shift. i have the voice tones down to a tee know all the sayings off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im sorry i've only ever travelled through Cork airport and we have no weird voices/accents down here... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

hoodwinked wrote: »
    im sorry i've only ever travelled through Cork and we have weird voices/accents down here... :pac:
    FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

oldyouth wrote: »
    FYP :P

but but *sniff* i've travelled through cork airport, why would you remove the word airport :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Standing outside departures smoking :rolleyes:

Go through security and then have your smoke in the smoking area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I really fancy the lift-voice lady in my workplace.
    Sometimes I'll use the lift just to hear her say "Going down".
    I keep ending up in the car park in the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

2FM ad for Fairy liquid.. It is constantly pronounced as 'Ferry'

Makes me want to drink the stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

"Please mind the gap"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Fogra na Maor agus na Gardai....End of match positions.

Shut Up I'm sure they know how long the match lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The one on the train announcing every station on the line is the worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The one on the train announcing every station on the line is the worst

Dublin to Sligo train is great fun when they announce all the stations the train stops at in Irish. They must have fúcked up the pronunciation of Sligeach the first time around as the way it is now is some calm guy with a soft irish brogue ".....Mainster Na Buille, Baile An Mhota, Cuil Mhuine agus....." switchs to a loud mad ranty guy with a bogger accent ".....Shhhhhhhliguckkkk".

Advertisement