Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interns - Entitled to minimum wage??

Options
  • 20-04-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been working at a firm for almost a year now as an intern. I got the internship because I decided to do a work placement year during a year of my degree. So I am a registered university student, earning academic credits. However this is a totally optional year. Its not like for example nursing, where you have to do work placement to pass your degree.

I've been making 150 euros a week and I thought that I was only getting this from the firm out of the goodness of their hearts because interns aren't legally entitled to any wage. However I am now very suspicious that I am being taken advantage off. All other interns I know in private firms are making minimum wage.

Although Im just a student I have set hours (43 hrs pw) and often have to work late/ come in early to get work done. The work I have to do is of value to the firm, I'm always really busy with all the tasks I have to do which involves a lot of photocopying/ delivering packages.

I'm not sure, maybe Im not entitled to it, but would anyone know or be able to advise me? I feel really taken advantage of.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How long is your internship suppose to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How much paid work have you had after you turned 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

What did you agree at the start of the internship?

Advertisement