Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovered Stolen Property?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Just need a bit of advice.

Last December my livlihood - my very expensive work computer, all my backups and most of my stuff - was stolen from my apartment. I'm a freelancer who works from home.

Since then life has been a serious struggle, and if I could just get my computer back I could be earning properly again.

After 4 months of answering almost every ad on the internet ever for a computer with the same specs, I found it for sale in dublin. I went to the house pretending to buy it, checked the serial number and it was mine! I even have it registered as mine with Apple.

I went straight to the Gardai, who said they'd get a search warrant and have the house searched by 11am and call me straight away. It got to 3pm, no word, so I called and they told me that they could state that they did visit the premises but there's nothing else they could tell me, and sort of "don't call us, we'll call you."

I'm sure there's a reasonable procedural rule why this happened, so I'm not complaining per se. But it's been 6 weeks and for the last 4 I've been calling at least once a week. Either they tell me that the detective's not in and to leave my name and number and they'll call me back - they never have - or that the detective IS in and they put me through but the phone dials out.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on or what I should do?

Apologies for the length and if this is the wrong forum but I've been out of work for 5 months now and I am absolutely at my wit's end over this.

Comments

Ring the superintendents office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thanks! Do you think that kind od move has a high success rate? I don't want to be that guy who always calls and they end up ignoring either :(

I have a friend who's a former Sergeant or whatever the next one above that is - I know zero about Garda operations - do you think he could make a phone call for me? Would that be better?

banquo wrote: »
    Thanks! Do you think that kind od move has a high success rate? I don't want to be that guy who always calls and they end up ignoring either :(

I have a friend who's a former Sergeant or whatever the next one above that is - I know zero about Garda operations - do you think he could make a phone call for me? Would that be better?

Do it yourself. You know the whole story.

Advertisement