Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning accents?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

HI guys!

Just wondering do any of ye have any methods tips etc. for learning differnt accents?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

HI guys!
    Just wondering do any of ye have any methods tips etc. for learning differnt accents?:)
    If you have a friend Jackie from Kerry, think Jackie when you're doing a Kerry accent. If you have a friend Mick from Wexford, think Mick when doing a Wexford accent,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Out of nosiness do you have a strong accent yourself?
    I find I just pick up accents by osmosis or something when talking to anyone with a strong accent- I have a 'nondescript' dublin accent. I even picked up a Kilkenny accent after staying there for a weekend.
    Maybe youtube listening to whatever accent you want to learn, just someone waffling on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

zef wrote: »
    Maybe youtube listening to whatever accent you want to learn, just someone waffling on?

Koffeh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I seem to have an "ear" for accents and I've been told I'm a pretty good mimic. It's an evil family trait that I share with an aunt of mine. Neither of us having dedicated any time to practice, we seem to be able to "do" or "take off" people pretty much at will.

I can for example distinguish between Dutch and South African accents, French, French-Canadian and Swiss French and a bunch of others. I can also mimic most of them.

I tend to group accents in my head to make them repeatable, for example, Cork, Welsh and Asian (Indian & Pakistani) accents to me, share a kind of sing-song lyrical quality. I pick up languages fairly quickly and am good at identifying regional accents, English or American.

In my case I reckon it's about what or how I hear and my ability to parrot it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The most obvious tip is to watch and listen to as many people with that accent as you can. YouTube is your friend there!

Another tip is to right than what you want to say phonetically as it sounds in the particular accent. It can make a big difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement