Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

rubadub wrote: »
    If you put on a washing up glove you can often open them much easier, you can also just lay the glove over the jar without bothering to put it on. Often its a vacuum causing the difficulty, if you lever up one side of the jar with a screwdriver or something, it can release the vacuum. Some people tap the jar lid on something to release the vacuum but obviously this could be dangerous. EDIT-beaten to it!

Or tap the side of the jar lid against the counter or pierce the lid. It's all good :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies for any re-posts

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-21.jpg

ketchup-holder-cup-unroll-unfold-the-rim.jpg

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-18.jpg

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-23.jpg

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-43.jpg

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-5.jpg

life-hacks-how-to-make-your-life-easier-42.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive never had much luck with the spaghetti trick.

Love the cable idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is_it_worth_the_time.png

Can use to determine if it's worth taking the time to fix something that you can workaround.

You could also apply this to how many hours wages to spend on labour saving devices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rKIMCq7.jpg

HCtLY6F.jpg

okmVruF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

okmVruF.jpg

Can someone translate those ingredients into English please :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Can someone translate those ingredients into English please :confused:

get some corn flour
    add twice as much fairy liquid
    add 6 times as much water

american cup measurements are units of ratio. the ml value is irrelevant if you follow the ratio

get some corn flour
    It's not corn flour - perhaps golden syrup ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Ya golden syrup is the closest you'd probably get to corn syrup in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had heard to use glycerine & fairy for bubbles as a kid, some recipes here saying the same. Got in pharmaices or possibly the baking section
    http://bubbleblowers.com/homemade.html

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6503826_substitutes-corn-syrup_.html

Youre not trying to reproduce the taste but the consistency. You can make the same consistency with corn flour and water. Boil it up to make a thick sticky liquid. Add sugar and you have corn syrup. You can skip the sugar for making bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MostlyLurks

Had a painter in recently. He put a plastic bin bag around the roller tray, then poured the paint in. When done just take the bag off and throw away. No washing needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Youre not trying to reproduce the taste but the consistency. You can make the same consistency with corn flour and water. Boil it up to make a thick sticky liquid. Add sugar and you have corn syrup. You can skip the sugar for making bubbles
    Afraid not.
    Corn syrup is a sugar syrup.
    Corn flour and water isn't.

Corn flour and water won't work for a number of reasons. Because its not clear for a start, its a suspension not a solution so won't mix as well. It's not just the consistency you need.

You can get corn syrup easily, but failing that use any sugar syrup.

its a suspension not a solution
    If even a speck of cornflour got into the mix I would say it would be hard to make bubbles, any imperfections (solids) in the mix would probably pop them or stop them forming in the first place.

If even a speck of cornflour got into the mix I would say it would be hard to make bubbles, any imperfections (solids) in the mix would probably pop them or stop them forming in the first place.

not 100% sure about how it will affect bubbles.

I just know from film school and making fake blood.

Corn syrup is the ingredient they use in films to make blood. they add food dye to it.
    In film school in the UK we didnt have it. We used corn flour (corn starch) to make a clear liquid, and added red dye. you can make thinner or thicker liquids with as you need to by adding more water. If its thin it appears more like the sauce in chinese food (also from corn flour) if its thicker it is more like treacle, or custard.

Its also non-newtonian so I think it will hold the shape of a bubble. Worth testing any way.

found a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvbgyojEd68

xM6CelN.png

NtMS5li.png

Imgur toobar
    upload +edit
    or upload to imgur and then second upload of selective screenshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

One of my own life hacks - problem the kids were flying through the hand wash. Solution get one of the "foaming face wash " bottles, put in a good squirt of baby wash, 10mls maybe a bit more and fill up with water. It lasts forever and they think they're using loads :-)
    253702.jpg

what sorta hand wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

what sorta hand wash?

The stuff you wash your hands with :-P
    The usual liquid soap with a pump dispenser was being used too quickly. The foaming bottle came from some of Mrs Kagy's boots foamin facial wash with tea tree and witch hazel and probably half a dozen other endangered plant extracts. In the bottle now is a 10% solution of baby bathtime wash 'cause it was the nearest one to hand.

Use a bar of soap without all those chemicals. Linking them to all sorts now.

Use a bar of soap without all those chemicals. Linking them to all sorts now.
    That's a topic for a different forum ;)

BTW Long after you get caustic soda on your fingers, everything still feels soapy. :(

KAGY wrote: »
    It lasts forever and they think they're using loads :-)
    I dilute fairy liquid for similar reasons. I have 2 bottles of them by the sink, the dilute one for doing small things. It is also quicker to get it out of the bottle, as when you turn regular fairy upside down you have to wait for the thick liquid to get to the lid (when it is half full). Then people tend to squirt out loads when they are only washing a glass. Also it is ready diluted and so coats what you are cleaning easier, otherwise you have to stir in water on your tiny blob of fairy.

Corn syrup is the ingredient they use in films to make blood. they add food dye to it.
    In film school in the UK we didnt have it
    Corn syrup is cheap & readily available in the US, there are many things like this, i.e. substances/items really only used as they are so easily got in that particular country, and presumed to be easy. I have a hobby that uses corn syrup and rye grains, most forums about it were dominated by US poaster. Many people outside the EU were going to great lengths to get corn syrup & rye grains, without copping on the readily available alternatives in europe were just as good if not better.

Corn syrup is cheap & readily available in the US, there are many things like this, i.e. substances/items really only used as they are so easily got in that particular country, and presumed to be easy. I have a hobby that uses corn syrup and rye grains, most forums about it were dominated by US poaster. Many people outside the EU were going to great lengths to get corn syrup & rye grains, without copping on the readily available alternatives in europe were just as good if not better.

Yes, we had the same issue, we knew movie blood was corn syrup, but had no idea what it was or where to get it. this was 'preinternet' so no forums really. doubt honey or treacle would work.
    I knew we could do something with cornstarch to the same effect.
    I had heard the recipe was for corn starch, which would be the American name for corn flour.

went to about 5 different supermarkets looking for corn starch until I got lucky with a box stacker in asda who had been to America and informed me corn starch and cornflour were the same.

worked for us perfectly. mix it up to a nice consistency and add dye, red for human, green/blue yellow for alien,
    make it with less water for slime/mucus. gory stuff ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In my case, if I review my speech right before falling asleep, then I wont fall asleep. I'll lie awake thinking about the speech for the next god knows how long. I'll then have to use various life hacking tricks Ive picked up to force myself to stop thinking and try to enter the land of nod.

• Advertisement

K1KEbiK.jpg

Advertisement