Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada foils 'major terrorist attack'

• 22-04-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

They should stop giving these lads any publicity at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Phoenix wrote: »
    And I hope it wont be used as a stick to tar one community as "all the same"
    Can you tar with a stick?

Oh, & do you mean the community of Islamic extremists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Obviously not..those of the islamic faith

But sure they're all at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

That's all we want, a cluster of have-a-go jihadis. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Obviously not..those of the islamic faith

Absolutely a lot of muslims are really crap at the more unpleasant parts of islam, long may they continue to only abide by select bits of their crazy fascist belief system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The two men will now appear in court on Tuesday for a bail hearing.

What??

Is that just a procedure or is there really a chance they can go out on bail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thinly veiled muslim thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rick the proud Canadian Mountie was the hero

Caught the suspects on his sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

i hope this doesn't mark the beginning of copy cat attacks inspired by recent events in Boston.

Of course it will, depressingly. The fact that the Boston bombers were, to the best of anyone's knowledge, working alone and still managed to cause the amount of havoc they did, will surely embolden and encourage anyone with similar aspirations to give it a shot. :(
    fits wrote: »

Agreed, actually. Most of the time terrorism is attention seeking - in which case, even without succeeding in their attack, these guys have just achieved some semblance of what they wanted to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

How do you "not publicise" what happened in Boston recently?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

DrumSteve wrote: »
    thinly veiled muslim ....
    It depends what's in Vogue or Harper's Bazaar, various, variegated, voluminous, veils available, effendi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mech1 wrote: »

I think he was talking more about failed attacks. No reason these guys should get any fame or attention whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

****ing weirdos stop terrorising people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet they were Quebecois Islamists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

mike65 wrote: »

Isn't that the secret ingredient in Actimel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

"Well now, what's all this abooouuut?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Aloominum foil or alyouminyum foil?

/runs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Better make sure the poutine is halal

Poutines without the cheese are bleedin deadly.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Poutines without the cheese are bleedin deadly.

Nah the cheese curds make it great!

Nah the cheese curds make it great!

Nah it's like a Taco chip.The cheese just gets in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Terrorists eh

Nah it's like a Taco chip.The cheese just gets in the way.

A taco chip is manky compared to it.

A taco chip is manky compared to it.

True,i'd take a poutine (without cheese) over a taco chip any day,but here's something that'll blow the socks off you.The next time you have a poutine throw a bit of Ketchup or HP in with it,just a dollup,and trust me you won't want any of that manky cheese on a poutine again.

Any of ye ever try the poutine out of New York Fries?"slightly off topic":pac:

I haven't had New York Fries in bleeding agggeees! i remember they were flogging off hot dogs not too long ago for $1 when you bought a large fries.How're their poutines?,poutines usually taste best out of the dirtiest places.

I haven't had New York Fries in bleeding agggeees! i remember they were flogging off hot dogs not too long ago for $1 when you bought a large fries.How're their poutines?,poutines usually taste best out of the dirtiest places.

There was a place in the eaton centre that does real good poutine? Cant think of the name of it now...

There was a place in the eaton centre that does real good poutine? Cant think of the name of it now...

in the food court?

• Advertisement

in the food court?

Aye downstairs. Must check it out.

Aye downstairs. Must check it out.

Haven't had one down there,i used to only eat from harveys down there.There's a great place just on Yonge Street though,i forget the name of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

They're both non-Canadians, one of them is Tunisian apparently and quite the smart guy, his linkedIn says he's a phD student "monitoring bio-chemical interactions through application of optical and electrochemical transducers"

Scary to think the kind of damage this kind of guy could've inflicted if he wasn't arrested.

And the RCMP haven't found any link at all to this and Boston - Canadian officials have been investigating for months and law enforcement agencies have been ready to shut it down a while now. They just held off probably because of US intelligence agencies wanting to investigate further before moving in.

And then Boston happened so they had to move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mech1 wrote: »

Don't name the suspects, don't give any media coverage to their pursuit, don't give any air time to their 'cause'.

I guess the public will want to know a lot about what happened, but I remember far less of a media frenzy over the IRA bombings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't name the suspects, don't give any media coverage to their pursuit, don't give any air time to their 'cause'.

I guess the public will want to know a lot about what happened, but I remember far less of a media frenzy over the IRA bombings.

They didn't have 24/7 news tv or the net back then. You had to sit and wait for the news at 6 or 9 or read the paper the next day. Plus there was a certain amount of media boredom/same-old same-old with IRA bombings, like a bombing in the Middle East now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Spanish police arrested two suspected Al Qaida members today

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/spain-arrests-two-al-qaida-suspects-29216164.html

• Advertisement

I'd be willing to bet even the terrorists are going round wondering who the feck this all-present, all organising "Al-Qaeda" are. Personally, I reckon it's like the Bogey-man, a catch-all for everyone who is vaguely "on the other side". I think even Albert Qaeda goes around wondering who the feck Al Qaeda really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As long as they advertise in French they will be ok in Quebec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Décarie Hot Dog at Cote Vertu on the Montreal Orange line does fantastic poutine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Décarie Hot Dog at Cote Vertu on the Montreal Orange line does fantastic poutine

and Dunn's for their hot meat sandwiches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'd be willing to bet even the terrorists are going round wondering who the feck this all-present, all organising "Al-Qaeda" are. Personally, I reckon it's like the Bogey-man, a catch-all for everyone who is vaguely "on the other side". I think even Albert Qaeda goes around wondering who the feck Al Qaeda really is.
    I agree. I dont believe there is such an organisation as Al-Qaeda. Every time an atrocity is committed by an islamic person or group they are said by security forces to have "links" to Al-Qaeda. This is meaningless guff and is shorthand for saying 'we haven't a clue what these people are motivated by, but sure we have to pretend we do'. If Al-Qaeda exists at all, it is as an ideology or a set of beliefs. It is not a structured organisation.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I agree. I dont believe there is such an organisation as Al-Qaeda. Every time an atrocity is committed by an islamic person or group they are said by security forces to have "links" to Al-Qaeda. This is meaningless guff and is shorthand for saying 'we haven't a clue what these people are motivated by, but sure we have to pretend we do'. If Al-Qaeda exists at all, it is as an ideology or a set of beliefs. It is not a structured organisation.
    And if anyone should know, it's you, 007.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There is the main group but in recent groups, local militias adopted Al Qaeda in their name so as to appear like big players, like Al Qaeda in Somilia.

Advertisement