Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary teaching- when will the honour maths become a requirement'

• 27-03-2013 6:47pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm in fourth year and i am poor at maths and thinking of going down to pass, as the time id take the stay in honour maths would i feel affect my other subjects which im all averaging a 'b"
    Anyways ive my eyes set on primary teaching and i remember an article in the paper about 9 months ago, saying that mr quinn is thinking of making the teachers to have honours maths in future.
    My dilemma is will i go down to pass and hope the entry requirement doesnt change or still try and keep my head above water in honours?

All advice appreciated as i dont have a clue what to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

They won't be changing it in the next two years! you will be fine, honestly i think you should just move down if you think you are poor at maths. you are right, you can focus on your others subjects then! There's no point struggling through honours if you aren't able , your other subjects could suffer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

If higher level maths is affecting your other subjects drop it! It will not be worth it. Honours maths takes lots of time and effort (even for those who find it not so difficult).
    I don't see why they they would need to make a higher level maths requirement for primary teaching since the graduates will be teaching kids between the ages of 4 and 12 so it wouldn't be much use to them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

sibby wrote: »
    If higher level maths is affecting your other subjects drop it! It will not be worth it. Honours maths takes lots of time and effort (even for those who find it not so difficult).
    I don't see why they they would need to make a higher level maths requirement for primary teaching since the graduates will be teaching kids between the ages of 4 and 12 so it wouldn't be much use to them anyway!

They'd only bring honours maths in as a requirement in order to keep the numbers applying for the course down, in the same way honours Irish does, even though a good OL grade is more than enough to have you teaching 4 to 12 year olds. There is a huge surplus of primary school teachers at the minute and it can be difficult to get a job but either way it would be unfair if the department made honours maths a requirement within the next two years.

Honours maths is handy to have for the bonus points OP, but there's no point doing something that'll just take up all your time, and probably end up dropping after a while anyway. Don't be worried about the honours maths requirement and focus on getting the points and honours Irish for something you really want to do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Sorry to bump an old thread but can anybody confirm if ordinary level maths is sufficient to apply for Primary school teaching. My daughter will sit her leaving in 2023 and has her heart set on it. She is very bright at all subjects but really struggles at Maths and it will be the only ordinary level subject she will sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Sorry to bump an old thread but can anybody confirm if ordinary level maths is sufficient to apply for Primary school teaching. My daughter will sit her leaving in 2023 and has her heart set on it. She is very bright at all subjects but really struggles at Maths and it will be the only ordinary level subject she will sit.

Think they'd have to announce any changes before subject choices in 2021 for LC in 2023. Still min 04 so fingers x'd it stays that way for your daughter. Once she starts 5th year, she should be safe. Open to correction on this but that's my understanding...

• Advertisement
Advertisement