Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icelanders Incest App

Options
  • 18-04-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

So the population of Iceland is pretty small and everyone who is icelandic is related to everyone else to some degree.

So someone had created an app so you can check your only about to fuk your 5th or 6th cousin rather then 2nd cousin.

http://www.newsoficeland.com/home/technology/innovation/item/1124-new-app-prevents-icelanders-from-sleeping-with-their-relatives
    We all derive from the same family tree. An online registry, Íslendingabók ('The Book of Icelanders') holds information about the families of about 720,000 individuals who were born in Iceland at some point in time. Today, the population in Iceland is just about 320,000. The database can be found on islendingabok.is and everyone registered in the database has free access to it.

Does Ireland need something like this?
    Esp in the sparsely populated bits?

Or some sort of hook up relationship tracker so you don't end up with someone who slept with some who who slept with your brother or who used to go out with one of your mates that you didn't know about?

Something like the Chart in the L word?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They should make it a game. You get X amount of points depending on how closely related you are. Like 15 points for a parent, 10 for a cousin, 5 for a second cousin and 1 for distant relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

"the book of the irish" would never sound anywhere near as cool as "the book of icelanders".

Theirs sounds like something from Game of Thrones.
    Ours sounds like a Brisbane policeman's notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

If you use a high quality johnny it shouldnt matter a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

"the book of the irish" would never sound anywhere near as cool as "the book of icelanders".

Theirs sounds like something from Game of Thrones.
    Ours sounds like a Brisbane policeman's notebook.

The Book of the Gaels?

Could also sound like a piece of shipping forecast literature...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Kichote wrote: »
    If you use a high quality johnny it shouldnt matter a damn

Or put it on her... never mind.

/Gets coat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Mickey H wrote: »
    Or put it on her... never mind.

/Gets coat.

You might explain what you mean before you leave though, will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Didn't someone on this forum post a news story not so long ago about there being an idea degree of separation between two partners? It wasn't as distant as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kowloon wrote: »
    Didn't someone on this forum post a news story not so long ago about there being an idea degree of separation between two partners? It wasn't as distant as I thought it would be.

do you mean ideal?

does it mean in related terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Good idea, and I think people should also consider having a test that could inform them of the risk of genetic incompatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Travellers marry their 1st and 2nd cousins regularly enough I would imagine seeing as their population is quite small and they have no desire to marry anyone outside of their own group.

Marrying members of ones extended family ain't a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,205 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a bit of a gimmick. In general, if somebody is sufficiently closely related to you that shagging them raises genetic issues, you already know them. Shagging your second cousin is not a huge problem. (At least, not genetically.)

In practical terms, a much bigger issue is shagging somebody who you don't know is related to you but who actually is because, your dad was quite the lad before he met your ma, and his married neighbour was generous with her time and attention. This problem arises not just from parentage being wrongly recorded but from adoption and surrogacy. But an app like this is no use for a problem like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Seachmall wrote: »
    They should make it a game. You get X amount of points depending on how closely related you are. Like 15 points for a parent, 10 for a cousin, 5 for a second cousin and 1 for distant relations.

So you like to keep it in the family...interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's a game I don't want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Throw a 6 to start?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Angron wrote: »

You must have one ugly family

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

I'd say Seachmall has this one in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Will it be in his bag for long if he's playing this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Explains Bjork.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

As long as they use condoms, this app shouldn't prove too popular. I guess it'll only prove useful and indeed destructive when Icelanders start planning their families or dispense with contraception.

As long as they use condoms, this app shouldn't prove too popular.
    It has to be said that their record in this department is not good. Icelandic culture is pretty accepting of early (as in youthful) sexual activity, casual sex and fairly savage binge-drinking. While this might make it sound ideal for a stag weekend, it's also ideal for the spread of chlamydia, gonorrhea and other STI's - as well, of course, for the begetting of unwanted kiddies. Iceland scores badly on all these fronts compared with its Scandinavian neighbours. Iceland's per capita consumption of condoms is also the lowest in Scandinavia, and its teenage pregnancy, teenage birth and abortion rates are the highest. These facts are not unconnected.

So, basically, Icelanders are having lots of unprotected drunken teenage sex with their cousins. This is not an environment conducive to the responsible use of condoms. And, let's face it, it's not an environment conducive to the responsible use of this app, either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You could put in the hard time and do a lot of distant relatives, where the incestiousness of the deed is considered negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They don't get around much, seriously, when has anyone met anyone from Iceland?

So its a game you'd still like to compete in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

So its a game you'd still like to compete in?
    I'd prefer to remain scoreless :pac:

They don't get around much, seriously, when has anyone met anyone from Iceland?
    Well, it's a small country. It has a smaller population than Montenegro, and how many Montenegrins have you ever met?

But they do travel. It used to be the case, in fact, that virtually the entire population of the country aged between 21 and 25 was abroad, because while there was generous financial assistance for postgraduate study, Icelandic universities didn't offer that many postgraduate courses. So they all headed off to Copenhagen, London or New York for three to five years. That's not so true any more, since there are more study opportunities at home, and less free money from the cash-strapped government.

Still, they tend not to settle abroad. After seing the bright lights of Copenhagen or London, they all come home and settle down to the corrugated iron and stunted trees of Reykjavik. I guess they miss all that unprotected drunken teenage sex with their cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Morag wrote: »
    So the population of Iceland is pretty small and everyone who is icelandic is related to everyone else to some degree.

So someone had created an app so you can check your only about to fuk your 5th or 6th cousin rather then 2nd cousin.

http://www.newsoficeland.com/home/technology/innovation/item/1124-new-app-prevents-icelanders-from-sleeping-with-their-relatives

Does Ireland need something like this?
    Esp in the sparsely populated bits?

Or some sort of hook up relationship tracker so you don't end up with someone who slept with some who who slept with your brother or who used to go out with one of your mates that you didn't know about?

Something like the Chart in the L word?

I don't think that having sex with 5th or 6th cousin is incest let alone 2nd cousin. 1st cousin is pretty close, but its down to how close it is to see if its incest

So you like to keep it in the family...interesting.

I should probably clarify that I do not have sex with members of my family.

Your family on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, it's a small country. It has a smaller population than Montenegro, and how many Montenegrins have you ever met?

Montenegrins??

Would Montenegros not be more acurate and kinda funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dueling banjos anyone......

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Montenegrins??

Would Montenegros not be more acurate and kinda funny?

Monteafricanamerican is the accepted term nowadays.

Advertisement