Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Will You Be On For The Eurovision?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I like Sweden at 16/1.. Very powerful and touching song

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I like Sweden at 16/1.. Very powerful and touching song
    okay so that's them out

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

What I don't understand is how they come up with such a short price fav, Denmark at 11/8. Any idea what logic that is based on. Is it a case of the song getting downloads or lots of AirPlay?. Seems crazy short price, but on other hand if so much confidence around it, maybe it's a shoo in !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

okay so that's them out

Haha :P But It sounds so Eurovisiony too

What I don't understand is how they come up with such a short price fav, Denmark at 11/8. Any idea what logic that is based on. Is it a case of the song getting downloads or lots of AirPlay?. Seems crazy short price, but on other hand if so much confidence around it, maybe it's a shoo in !!!

I thought It was a favourite just by ear weeks ago. It started off at 4/1 then but has been backed into a crazy price. I think they know generally what the judges will go for and what will do well from judging the trends from previous years. Also there are extensive polls that indicate how a song will do. They get It right very often but now Denmark is such a low price 'cos they need to level the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

JEDWARD should be in it !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

JEDWARD should be in it !!!

jedward should not be representing Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Russia great each way bet @ 14/1

I'd say either Armenia, Lithuania, George or Romania are 4 of the 5 that could win it. Eastern European countries that did not win already.

The favourites for many are Denmark followed by Ukraine. Ukraine won it in 2004 so probably too recent BUT Denmark are a Scandinavian nation that did not win recently (we have seen the other Scandinavians do it). So, Denmark is my 5th choice of potential winners.

I would also tend not to rule out Iceland or Greece. They will be there or there abouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Denmark 4/6 now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is it any wonder bookies are cleaning up, Eurovision :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd say either Armenia, Lithuania, George or Romania are 4 of the 5 that could win it. Eastern European countries that did not win already.

The favourites for many are Denmark followed by Ukraine. Ukraine won it in 2004 so probably too recent BUT Denmark are a Scandinavian nation that did not win recently (we have seen the other Scandinavians do it). So, Denmark is my 5th choice of potential winners.

I would also tend not to rule out Iceland or Greece. They will be there or there abouts too.

Did you listen to the songs before coming up with these permutations? Armenia are 200/1, joint last and Iceland 150/1 in the betting with Paddy Power as I write this. If you tend not to rule out Greece (33/1), winners in 2005 why are Ukraine (10/1) winners in 2004 probably too recent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

After the 1st 2 votes were cast tonight, Denmark went out to 13/8.....never seen again :(.
    Couldn't believe UK finished higher then Ireland, Bonnie Tyler was terrible at the start of her song.
    Just after Ireland finished, they went to 11/8 to finish in the Top 10 and halved in price on the Outright market.
    Thankfully that was my best lay today :).

Did you listen to the songs before coming up with these permutations? Armenia are 200/1, joint last and Iceland 150/1 in the betting with Paddy Power as I write this. If you tend not to rule out Greece (33/1), winners in 2005 why are Ukraine (10/1) winners in 2004 probably too recent?

Denmark won it and Ukraine and Greece both did well. Armenia ended up doing poorly but everyone knows that they will win it one day soon as will others of this region. Everyone knows that countries like Ireland, UK, Spain and France seem to do the worst consistently in recent years.

Denmark won it and Ukraine and Greece both did well. Armenia ended up doing poorly but everyone knows that they will win it one day soon as will others of this region. Everyone knows that countries like Ireland, UK, Spain and France seem to do the worst consistently in recent years.
    Don't put Armenia in the same boat as Azerbaijan.. Armenia do not have a block vote as Azer have.. It's the opposite.. You have to ask if Armenia will ever take It as seriously as the crazy Azerbaijanies.. I'm sure if Ireland had have sent Denmark's song this year we would have won.. It was so strong. . But IDK WTF went wrong with Ireland's votes.. We deserved a top 15 at the least

Don't put Armenia in the same boat as Azerbaijan.. Armenia do not have a block vote as Azer have.. It's the opposite.. You have to ask if Armenia will ever take It as seriously as the crazy Azerbaijanies.. I'm sure if Ireland had have sent Denmark's song this year we would have won.. It was so strong. . But IDK WTF went wrong with Ireland's votes.. We deserved a top 15 at the least

I agree with this. Ireland did deserve to be in the top 15 and it did not deserve to finish last. Many theories have been thrown regarding the lack of success of Ireland of late: lack of promotion, block voting, unknown acts, the fact we won it too often already, our geographic position in Europe and Dustin the Turkey !! Whichever way, things seemed to change circa 2001 (up until then, coming 10th or 15th was Ireland's absolute worst position with us winning it 7 times, coming second many times too and in the top 5 loads) with Gary O'Shaunessy's near last position. Since then, we have seen Chris Doran, Black Daisy, Niamh Kavanagh, Dervish, Donna and Joe, Dervish and now Ryan Dolan share the same fate. And Dustin the Turkey !! Mickey Joe Harte, Brian Kennedy and Jedward fared better and Jedward's No. 8 and Kennedy's No. 10 positions in 2011 and 2006 were both hailed as a return to the fold but it did not prove so as 2007-2010 and 2012 and 2013 have proven.

Azerbaijan is the real winner of the newcomers to the Eurovision. It has won it in 2011 and has been in the top 10 ever since it entered. This country is ethincally Azeri, an Iranian people closely related to the Persians. They also have a sizeable Russian population and Armenians. Armenia and Azerbaijan are enemies and the country seems to be isolated ethnically from the rest of Europe. Yet everyone votes for them and it is NOT in this case block voting (Armenia are enemies, Iran are not in it yet and the ex Soviet Union countries are not enough to get them to where they were). Ireland needs to get an Azeri consultant for advice fast.

Advertisement