Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Or if you have a screwdriver and a pliers.....take a screw from say a door hinge in your house screw it into the cork then use the pliers to pull the cork. put screw back in hinge then.

I've done that a few times. Never had any luck with the shoe method.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

72158_10151549100164868_358653237_n.jpg

543350_457617240964980_1065232748_n.jpg

Would the T-bicycle one really be called a life-hack as opposed to say, smart engineering?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

syklops wrote: »
    Would the T-bicycle one really be called a life-hack as opposed to say, smart engineering?
    A lot of lifehacking is smart engineering or social engineering anyway

Besides anything that gives you ideas you could use yourself is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of lifehacking is smart engineering or social engineering anyway

Besides anything that gives you ideas you could use yourself is good.
    I can see skylops' point though. I think they are definitely different things;
    Life Hacking is clever by use,
    Social Engineering is clever by design.

That said, its no big deal to group them together in the threads as the principle behind them is the same.

• Advertisement

Also, hate to be the quibbler, but Social Engineering has a very different meaning to me. This may just be in the context of my career(security) but social engineering is manipulating people and situations for your own benefit. I've never heard it used to refer to building stuff.

To me life-hacking is creative and often simplistic ways of solving life's everyday annoying problems. The solutions are nearly always easy to obtain or relatively easy to build or put together, or is an easy to do method to solve the problem.

JEjUuy9.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Also, hate to be the quibbler,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNSYcSTiRHb9uOwUxTo3MsroYeB9CCCIr6rb4rBHsUxEVf4ODClA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

looks like he's tethering it to the laptop and using the bowl with tin foil to boost the signal.

But... doesn't it look like he's tethering using USB?
    Wouldn't the tin foil only (theoretically) boost the wifi signal ?

Not trying to be a smart arse, I'm genuinely wondering what this one is about.

Assume the bowl is pointed at the 3G mast.

• Advertisement

But... doesn't it look like he's tethering using USB?

He is boosting the signal between the phone and the network, not the laptop and the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Assume the bowl is pointed at the 3G mast.
    Mellor wrote: »
    He is boosting the signal between the phone and the network, not the laptop and the phone.

Thank you both!
    I'm going to try that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

An old student trick. Also works with frankfurters.

Dirty B#####d

36396909.jpg

This would have been funnier if you hadn't misspelt my nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

jaqian wrote: »
    Would that not give a weird taste to the tea?

Theres a few comments on this but to me the obvious way to do it without getting egg leakage onto kettle elements or making the water taste weird is to make your tea first and then pour the hot water remaining into a pot into which you will boil the eggs. Or else boil your water for the tea in a regular saucepan and then transfer the eggs once you pour enough for tea. However is recycling hot water too obvious to be a hack ? I've used remaining hot kettle water even to wash dishes since I was a kid. It should be common sense rather than leaving it to sit and cool down with no extra benefits.

Theres a few comments on this but to me the obvious way to do it without getting egg leakage onto kettle elements or making the water taste weird is to make your tea first and then pour the hot water remaining into a pot into which you will boil the eggs. Or else boil your water for the tea in a regular saucepan and then transfer the eggs once you pour enough for tea. However is recycling hot water too obvious to be a hack ? I've used remaining hot kettle water even to wash dishes since I was a kid. It should be common sense rather than leaving it to sit and cool down with no extra benefits.

The hack is not in recycling hot water. Most office communal kitchens have a kettle and a microwave. but no hob for boiling eggs, so the kettle can be used instead.

First only boil the water you are going to use because it takes more energy to heat a kg of water by a degree than just about any other substance in the universe.

( trust me you don't want to be heating up liquid ammonia )

Second, not that hygienic but an old one from down the country, you put the eggs in the kettle. That way you have your eggs and tea at the same time and no wasted water. Probably doesn't work as well in an electric kettle.

First only boil the water you are going to use because it takes more energy to heat a kg of water by a degree than just about any other substance in the universe.

( trust me you don't want to be heating up liquid ammonia )

What about Hydrogen and Helium. Are they "kinda" common in this universe thingy :D

Mellor wrote: »
    What about Hydrogen and Helium. Are they "kinda" common in this universe thingy :D]
    ( trust me you don't want to be heating up liquid Hydrogen/ Helium )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Now you have me wanting to head down to B&Q and get some liquid ammonia and liquid Hydrogen/ Helium and whipping up a batch of boiling wotsit !!!!

::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Now you have me wanting to head down to B&Q and get some liquid ammonia and liquid Hydrogen/ Helium and whipping up a batch of boiling wotsit !!!!

::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    All you want is helium and make yourself a perpetual frictionless fountain. I've one on my bed locker.

Are we maybe getting off topic?

Are we maybe getting off topic?
    You complaining again?

Somethings never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

72158_10151549100164868_358653237_n.jpg

What's gas cylinder for? can't see a place for a hob?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the red thing?.. isn't that a tire pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

the red thing?.. isn't that a tire pump?

Bigass valve at the bottom, maybe co2 for sodastream/beer keg?

knTDWPK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FranicusThe2nd

Apologies in advance, it's all I have.
    When opening a stubborn jar, breath on the lid with your hands enclosed around it. The heat will expand the lid and it should open with a slight bit more ease. Alternatively, hot water works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies in advance, it's all I have.
    When opening a stubborn jar, breath on the lid with your hands enclosed around it. The heat will expand the lid and it should open with a slight bit more ease. Alternatively, hot water works.

Alternatively, tap it against the counter at three or four points around the lid and hey presto, opens up first time.

550px-Open-a-Difficult-Jar-Step-31.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When opening a stubborn jar,
    If you put on a washing up glove you can often open them much easier, you can also just lay the glove over the jar without bothering to put it on. Often its a vacuum causing the difficulty, if you lever up one side of the jar with a screwdriver or something, it can release the vacuum. Some people tap the jar lid on something to release the vacuum but obviously this could be dangerous. EDIT-beaten to it!

Advertisement