Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it easy/ right to teach English abroad with no training?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been thinking about teaching tefl in an elementary school abroad. The problem is that while I have two degrees, a good grasp of grammar terminology and structure (etc) and plenty of work experience, I don't have any previous training or teaching experience.

So my questions are:

Even if I can secure employment in a school, is it wrong for me to potentially damage a child's education by trying to teach them when I don't have much experience?

Or is it a case that if I put the time and effort into it while actually teaching, I can learn very quickly and overcome a lack of training and experience in the field?

PS- If I wait to get my CELTA or another training course now, for personal and professional reasons it would be another year or two before I could teach abroad.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I think the days are just about gone, when some school would employ you without some form of qualification in teaching English. There are so many TEFL "teachers" around that schools will tend to chose the better qualified. Having said that, you may find a short 60 hour on-line course very useful to give you a better idea of what it is all about.

I started teaching in the early 70s and finished a couple of years ago when diagnosed with cancer. I gained a certificate in my first country of teaching and never had one since. However, I didn't teach in schools for the last 20 years or so - I preferred to teach privately when, in general, the students want to learn, especially so with the more mature students.

Advertisement