Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People walking on main roads

Options
  • 08-04-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Why in the name of god to people walk down dangerous roads wearing complete inappropriate clothing.

On Monday I witnessed an elderly woman pushing a dark blue buggy wearing a black over coat and walking along a busy main road with no hard shoulder.

The sun was directly in front of me which made seeing the woman near impossible and the dark clothing didn't help at all. She was practically pushing the buggy into the ditch to avoid being ran over. Other vehicles only noticed her at the last minute due to the sun and the vehicles on the opposite side were forced into the ditch to avoid the oncoming traffic.

I know that people have a right to walk around there own area or wherever they please and some have this ' I'm a pedestrian and I've right of way' attitude but for god sake why put yourself in danger?? :mad:

This morning I met a man wearing olive green combats and walking his dog on the same stretch of road. Again unless you were scanning the ditch line every second he was impossible to see until you were right on top of him??

What would happen if he was on a bad bend when a vehicle came around??

The road its self is very bumpy and there have been fatality's due to the fact that its like a rolling valley with potholes.

Is it just me are does this drive other drivers crazy?

I'm not asking that people stop walking to at least be safe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Not half as bad as those cyclists who cycle 2 abreast:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Have we been reading the cycling on backroads thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Not half as bad as those cyclists who cycle 2 abreast:mad:

:D Ah yea, I love sitting just in front of them on the bike. Gives them something to listen to :p

No Boo2112 there's to many of them to read :eek:

Last pedestrian that died on that road was drunk and decapitated, not a nice way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It is dangerous and hi-vis is advisable but it takes me to the fair the way drivers feel put out by situations where they have to pay attention to the road/drive cautiously.

If you can't see a person in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

De ja vu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And as for those feckin joggers that decide to either run in the cycle lane or on the main road instead the footpath.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....and the ones that run on the road with headphones, even more grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

humbert wrote: »
    It is dangerous and hi-vis is advisable but it takes me to the fair the way drivers feel put out by situations where they have to pay attention to the road/drive cautiously.

If you can't see a person in broad daylight you shouldn't be driving.

I never said I could not see them, but dress appropriate and not in olive green clothing walking along a green hedge line.

For the record with cyclist's, I have no problem them riding abreast but just move in when you hear oncoming traffic.

No more cyclist talk :D

We have new paths around my area yet people walk along the road beside the paths?? do we need signs now to show people where to walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they have to because of all the cyclists on the footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I'd have to agree with you. I live on a narrow (boreen) rural road with no street lights and walkers flock to it but the amount of people that wear dark colours, though put a reflective collar on the dog,is unbelievable.

Just wear high vis or a light colour - its not rocket science.

The runners funny enough don't bother me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I like to knock them down to teach them a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

+1 on the dark clothing on country roads.

I think it should be an offence to walk on roads without reflective bibs. I got one delivered for a few quid, worth it for something that could save your life.

I live in a rural location, and the number of people who walk on dangerous roads in dark clothes is shocking. Add to that, many of those with bibs are using ones that seem to have no refelctive material in them at all, so not much better.

I once had to veer out of the way of a guy on a back road (no pavement/no street lighting) in November who was walking along in all black and who I barely seen at the last minute. Was badly shaken for a while, not sure if he was or even if I had nearly hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I live in the city and I walk on the road sometimes because of the amount of dog crap on the footpath. Disgusting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The worst offenders are people jogging on main roads.Use the paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Why in the name of god to people walk down dangerous ....The sun was directly in front of me which made seeing the woman near impossible
    Roads are not dangerous, it's the people who drive on them.

If you can't see very well due to the strong sun, then you must, by law, slow down to a speed that is safe.

This is another reason why people should not allow themselves to be forced on the hard shoulder by aggressive drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

opti0nal wrote: »

If you can't see very well due to the strong sun, then you must, by law, slow down to a speed that is safe.

This is another reason why people should not allow themselves to be forced on the hard shoulder by aggressive drivers.

so a car travelling at 20km/ph wouldn't do damage to an idiot walking on the hard shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, 20 km per picohour is pretty damn fast.

(Hint: there's no such unit as km/ph it's km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    The worst offenders are people jogging on main roads.Use the paths.

Nothing worse than a person cycling in the road beside a cycle path.
    Scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

so a car travelling at 20km/ph wouldn't do damage to an idiot walking on the hard shoulder?
    Would make a massive difference:
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_stopping-distances-cars.html

I'm fairly sure someone has explained to Lando why that view is silly before.

In was going slow, As was the car in front but how slow can you go and not be a danger to a vehicle behind.

Fact is no matter how slow I went it was still very hard to see the woman dressed in black and at 20 / 30 mph its still going to be sore for the person walking

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Why in the name of god to people walk down dangerous roads wearing complete inappropriate clothing.

The sun was directly in front of me which made seeing the woman near impossible

This morning I met a man

Both people were walking during the day, this is allowed.

If drivers fail to see pedestrians during daylight then they have zero chance of seeing anyone walking in the dark.

If a pedestrian is hit by a car which is driving on the hard shoulder at 20mph, he or she would most likely be quite seriously injured. Mostly, though, cars I see on the hard shoulder are doing 60-80, a speed likely to kill.

I suppose it might be idiotic to expect all drivers to drive at appropriate speeds and stay on the road.

Fact is no matter how slow I went it was still very hard to see the woman dressed in black and at 20 / 30 mph its still going to be sore for the person walking
    Well, you didn't hit her. Driving is a heavy responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I was once going around a small roundabout in Galway city with lots of trees in the middle of it, it was absolutely pis$ing rain and visibility was very poor, the kind of rain that you need the wipers on full speed and it still doesn't help much. As I was going around the roundabout I got the fright of my life, a man was walking along the edge of the actual roundabout, in navy wet gear, so as I went around it he just appeared out of nowhere to the right of my car.

Luckily the place was quiet at the time so I wasn't in the inside lane completely because there were no other cars around to be in the other lane, wtf was he at like.

As I was going around the roundabout I got the fright of my life, a man was walking along the edge of the actual roundabout, in navy wet gear, ... wtf was he at like.
    Maybe he was trying to cross the road in heavy rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Maybe he was trying to cross the road in heavy rain?

There were places to cross each road leading into the roundabout, there was no need to be walking around the edge of the central roundabout part, I have never known anyone to cross a road by actually hopping across the roundabout in the middle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

The answer to this is :this country is ages after other European countries in terms of public transport (including walking), roads and paths are designed like everyone has a car and must use it. Buses are ancient- have no air conditioning and they smell. If you want to get anywhere you must use car!
    You cant even take your dog on bus! Its ridiculous.
    In Poland in almost every city there are long cycling paths, pedestians paths are wide and over big roads as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭sorsha

There were places to cross each road leading into the roundabout, there was no need to be walking around the edge of the central roundabout part, I have never known anyone to cross a road by actually hopping across the roundabout in the middle?

In Galway there are very busy roundabouts with no pedestrians crossings around them -I think this is crazy and I have never seen it before (until I came to Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pumpingiron

Nothing worse than a person cycling in the road beside a cycle path.
    Scum of the earth.

Does anyone know why SO many cyclists do that. I live on a wide road with footpath and cycle lane side by side, yet 9 out of 10 cyclists use the fecking road ? WHY ?........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

You know what I've seen quite a bit lately, young girls with thick leopard print fur coats.

There was me thinking the Pat Butcher look was no longer "with it" as a young ragamuffin might ponder.

Advertisement