Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Cleaning Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I bought a one of these in Halfords the other week and have used it since. It's grand but is there any better ones out there that people use? Where can I get grit guards for my buckets? Thanks.

Clean car.is have an offer on grit guards at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭daaaycent boy

Clean car.is have an offer on grit guards at the moment.

Thanks LM. Anyone know where I can get one in Cork? Tried Halfords and B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Thanks LM. Anyone know where I can get one in Cork? Tried Halfords and B&Q.

Grit Guards?

You wont find them in the run of the mill shops...such as Halfords or even almost all Motor Factors!! Its a Detailing product, not your average car cleaning accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

baldshin wrote: »
    Picked up what seems like the entire 3m range for under 12 euro- shampoo, wax, detailer spray wax, glass cleaner, tire cleaner and wheel cleaner in tesco Galway, loads left too.

Where in Galway store is this...checked today and didn't see any 3M stuff at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I see cleancar has cheaper buckets and grit guards now if anyone is lookin for some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

baldshin wrote: »
    Picked up what seems like the entire 3m range for under 12 euro- shampoo, wax, detailer spray wax, glass cleaner, tire cleaner and wheel cleaner in tesco Galway, loads left too.

Oh god oh god oh god ! (must not drive there right now) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Oh god oh god oh god ! (must not drive there right now) :pac:

feck all left there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

3 for 2 on all car clean stuff in B&Q (limerick anyway... But I'm sure same everywhere)

They have a few Autoglym products and I had just bought some in halfords so I was armed with prices to compare, and B&Q were 3 and 4 euro cheaper for car autoglym shampoo, SRP and something else by autoglym I can't remember so waaay cheaper if u went for three items.

Marty.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I promised myself I wouldn't buy more, but came across this in Halfords today.
    G9977EU_Alfa.jpg

On offer, end of line I presume. €18

41j6bVOteoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Triplewax Heavy Duty Car Shampoo. €2

I had my axa insurance disc, so I got 15% of both.

Considering the wax alone in the kit is 20.99, the mitt is 15.99, the car wash if it was still for sale was about the same as the wax. The cloth was 9.99 for three of them next to the kit, and those pads are about €8 for a pair, I think I made out well.

One more kit left in Limerick when I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

MarkR wrote: »
    I promised myself I wouldn't buy more, but came across this in Halfords today.
    G9977EU_Alfa.jpg

On offer, end of line I presume. €18

You got yourself good quality stuff for a bargain there man, nice going! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I was in Halfords yesterday and the 3 for 2 offer is still on if anyone is interested :)

They also have Halfords own brand microfiber towels 5 packs, 2 for €7.50. Can't comment on the quality but 10 for €7.50 looks like a good deal :P

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I was in Halfords yesterday and the 3 for 2 offer is still on if anyone is interested :)

They also have Halfords own brand microfiber towels 5 packs, 2 for €7.50. Can't comment on the quality but 10 for €7.50 looks like a good deal :P

Home store and more have 12 decent ones for just under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Got those ones in home store before. Crap for soaking water but good for buffing

Got those ones in home store before. Crap for soaking water but good for buffing

Do you mean these?

Noooo, not on paint....dont use them for buffing paint work - they're not soft or plush enough!!

They are good value and ideal work cloths, for using on interior plastics, windows, door jambs, wheels, applying trim gel, but not on the paintwork! You'll pick up very light swirlling extremely quickly with them!

The ones I've gotten from they're are as soft as any microfibre I've gotten!

Dont mean to be smart, but whats the most you've paid for a microfiber towel? They may well be the softest you've gotten if the most you spend on a cloth is 1.50 to 2 euro!

Cloths I use to buff polish and wax off cars are 11 euro a cloth....but I can cut them into 3 sections. The pile on them would be 4 or 5 times the lenth of the pile on those ones in the link I posted. Worth every penny, the quailty is in a different league.

I've had many microfibres in my days, there's a difference between over paying and getting a bargain.

I'm not saying your 11 euro clothes aren't better than the 5 euro ones, I've bought expensive ones and as regards taking off Polish and wax etc, the more the merry for me.

there's a difference between over paying and getting a bargain.

Dont disagree with you there, but there also becomes a point where the bargain comes at a price to quailty.
    Would you use a sponge that can be bought for 50c or a wash mitt for 10 quid....20 times difference in the price there!

Im not saying everyone should run out and spend 11 quid on a MF. Im just saying I wouldnt recommend using the ones mentioned on the paintwork....they are grand cloths for all the other jobs I mentioned, and use plenty of them myself!
    Also the more cloths the merrier...maybe the quality shows here again. A 1/3 piece of the MF I use would easily buff wax off a large car.

But hey, each to their own...you can take my advice or leave it...I dont mind! ;)

If you're talking a car that has been 100 percent corrected maybe, but for everything else the cheap are perfect.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Now I'm starting to worry are my towels fluffy enough?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

MarkR wrote: »
    Now I'm starting to worry are my towels fluffy enough?!

#firstworldproblems

What clothes do you use Curran? Seeing as how I'm correcting my paint I wouldn't mind one decent mf

Halfords drying towels are crap :(

Also this stuff is so very very useless(and so insanely messy), got it as part of a 3 for 2

8896103809054.jpg

I definitely could have told you that! It's the most useless cleaning item I've used. Might as well put jam on the paint

It was like pointing a an excited man sausage at the paint and about as accurate and messy and the pump on it died half way around the car with the stuff seeming out of all sides, got most of the tar off but why put a waxing agent in it i just put 2 coats of the finest meguiars on my car you pleab broduct

did you only get it off by rubbing hard on the tar spots? cos that not good!

Have to third that, absolute crap.

What clothes do you use Curran? Seeing as how I'm correcting my paint I wouldn't mind one decent mf

The ones I use are made by Microfiber Madness..specifically the Crazy Pile, for buffing polish or wax / sealant. The Summit 800 is great for buffing wax. But feel guilty mentioning them in this thread as they are far from bargain! :p Amazing towels... In fact the whole range is great.

available from detailingshed? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

available from detailingshed? :)

And delivered straight to your door :p

Advertisement