Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellet stove or not?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there

I am about to start building 1700sq.ft bungalow in about four weeks. I was planning on installing a 14kw Melinda Extraflame Idro for my hot water and heating. According to my provisional BER 14kw will suit fine. The hot water will be backed up with solar. House will be well insulated to building regs standard.

Just wondering if anyone here has used this model with this arrangement with the solar?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

I Have a extraflame divina
    Nice stove but i find it noisey, something we didnt pick up on looking in the showroom, also has a habbit of quenching on setting one so we were told to use it on setting 2 which is using more pellets
    another annoying feature is when the room gets too hot and you want to turn it off it has to do a full shutdown which is even more noisey.
    if i'm honest i would not buy another wood pellet stove.... it is however easy to light, easy to fill up and empty ashes, which is not every day thats the only plus
    my advice is see one working and hear the start up and shut down process aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rbh1

Ned78 wrote: »
    Hi there

I am about to start building 1700sq.ft bungalow in about four weeks. I was planning on installing a 14kw Melinda Extraflame Idro for my hot water and heating. According to my provisional BER 14kw will suit fine. The hot water will be backed up with solar. House will be well insulated to building regs standard.

Just wondering if anyone here has used this model with this arrangement with the solar?

Thanks in advance

Hi
    Just wanted to let you know we built extension last year. 1200sq ft and installed a lincar boiler model pellet stove. Fantastic results but would respectively suggest you insulate very well. We did usual in walls but also used kingspan internally in rooms together with double recommended in attic. Pellet stove only on in afternoon and no need to set for morning so far
    Hope this helps but any other questions pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

you should get free ear muff with pellet stoves

• Registered Users Posts: 30 poldenais

Ned78 wrote: »
    Hi there

Thanks in advance

Hi Just wondering did you go ahead with the Wood Pellet Stove. Im looking at a 23KW Coolwex pellet stove which would be used as the main heating source to heat a house roughly 2100 sq. ft. Im wondering can it be done. I will have no Oil, no open fires or stoves anywhere else in the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

yes it can be done
    will it suit your house? no one here can say with out more info.
    have you carried out your provisional BER or better still phpp calculation? ie do you know your heat demand?
    also whats the split - kw to room and kw to back-boiler on to rads?
    poldenais wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering did you go ahead with the Wood Pellet Stove. Im looking at a 23KW Coolwex pellet stove which would be used as the main heating source to heat a house roughly 2100 sq. ft. Im wondering can it be done. I will have no Oil, no open fires or stoves anywhere else in the house.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    yes it can be done
    will it suit your house? no one here can say with out more info.
    have you carried out your provisional BER or better still phpp calculation? ie do you know your heat demand?
    also whats the split - kw to room and kw to back-boiler on to rads?

BER we are aiming for is b1/B2.

Im honestly not sure on the Stove but I think it could be 17KW to water and 6 to the room.

I will be using a Coolwex 300 Litre heating cylinder.

310 wrote: »
    you should get free ear muff with pellet stoves

Are they honestly noisy? I was hoping to put mine in a open area in a living/kitchen area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ned78

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ned78 View Post
    Hi there

Thanks in advance
    Hi Just wondering did you go ahead with the Wood Pellet Stove. Im looking at a 23KW Coolwex pellet stove which would be used as the main heating source to heat a house roughly 2100 sq. ft. Im wondering can it be done. I will have no Oil, no open fires or stoves anywhere else in the house..

I am only plastering at the moment i'm afraid, but i've decided to go with a thermorossi 14kw stove. i am also using solar for hot water only. the stove will give 3kw to the room and 11kw to the heating + hot water system. the one i'm getting does not have a fan but emits the heat to the room, i've seen stoves working with a fan and i did not mind the noise, i would recommend that you see one working first.
    i would agree with BryanF re. doing a provisional BER, its well worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

poldenais wrote: »
    Are they honestly noisy? I was hoping to put mine in a open area in a living/kitchen area.

Ticking over its like an annoying hum but if its a big room and you turn it up it will wreck your head, Mine is like marmite I love it because i can press a button and its on, and hate it when its making a whole lot of noise trickling in pellets and the fan blowing, especially if you have the tv off and just want some piece and quiet to do paperwork etc
    You really need to see them working before you commit

Thanks Ned, Its difficult enough where i live to see Pellet Stove in operation. They dont seem that common here. There is people with Pellet burners and several people I spoke to have opinions on Pellets and they seem to go with the line of stand clear on one hand but on the other its like we dont have that much experience of them:

Pellets are dear ( i thought they were getting Cheaper?)

You have to store them (With the stove, I dont think its a problem storing them if you buy them in bulk in bags and keep them in the garage)

Theyre unreliable (im thinking the Stove inside would be more reliable than some boilers).

there is a noise (I cant see how noisy the newer ones can be now because if therye designed for living areas, they cant be that noisy otherwise they wont sell).

Only drawback for me is my house doesnt have any plan B. Its this pellet stove, no fire/oil etc etc so I would be taking a chance.

• Advertisement

F.D wrote: »
    Ticking over its like an annoying hum but if its a big room and you turn it up it will wreck your head, Mine is like marmite I love it because i can press a button and its on, and hate it when its making a whole lot of noise trickling in pellets and the fan blowing, especially if you have the tv off and just want some piece and quiet to do paperwork etc
    You really need to see them working before you commit

Thanks FD, Im going to see another supplier today and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Robbieg007

Hi All
    OP did you go with the pellet stove in the end and if so wha is it like to run

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement