Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo for a Type 1 Diabetic.

Options
  • 19-03-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im new to this side of boards and am looking for some advice on a tattoo for a type 1 diabetic.
    its my first tattoo and am thinking of placing it on my right fore arm, something that will be clearly visible in the case of an accident or emergency but still something i can be proud of. i have googled the idea for weeks now and havent found anything id be happy getting tattoed.

does anybody here have a medi alert tattoo or a diabetic tattoo? has anybody here ever done one?

thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry im a bit clueless about diabetes but having searched these type of tattoo seems to be most common and a common symbol for diabetes as im sure you're aware.

diabetictattoo1.jpg

photo1.jpg#

tumblr_m46v8s71KM1qiguljo1_1280.jpg

The only thing I can say if you don't want to go down the route of getting commonly associated symbols of diabetes do like this person done pick a tattoo based on something else you like or have a passion for and work diabetes into the tattoo aswell kinda like this person done.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqf9OFIAOOrGrztPJAsPEyBQHelOMLxI-DNEAup2kHwoGfoBPZ2Q

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Anything that Marty has posted would work fine. I think paramedics are trained to look to the upper arm for any medic alert information tattoos.

Practical tip: Don't get anywhere you would normally inject tattooed onto.

Also its useful to have a bottle of Lucazade handy for when you're actually getting the work done (your sugars will drop during it) and you might want to have your sugars a bit higher than normal (say between 7 and 10) before you get the ink started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Sorry if I come across as ignorant, but are tattooes recognised as medical signatures - specifically in Ireland? Can paramedics/docters/nurses act on a tattoo that may only hint at a medical condition? I would think an ID bracelet is the only thing they could legally act on?

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Sorry if I come across as ignorant, but are tattooes recognised as medical signatures - specifically in Ireland? Can paramedics/docters/nurses act on a tattoo that may only hint at a medical condition? I would think an ID bracelet is the only thing they could legally act on?

Good question. I'm not too sure, I remember asking the doc about it once, I think they reccomended wearing a chain or bracelet as well as having any kind of identifying tattoo. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I wasn't 100% whether the OP was asking for advice on a tattoo that would be recogised as a medical signature which is why I brought it up. Ireland is fairly conservative when it comes to tattoos - I reckon we can all agree on that. Medical teams know to look for ID bracelets, not tattoos. So if it was for medical reasons on getting a diabetic tattoo, I'd suggest still wearing a medical bracelet would be a much more efficient symbol.

If it's just a tattoo you're looking for than any of the styles Marty has suggested would work. Otherwise ask a tattooist to draw a custom piece.

Sorry if I dragged this off topic :)

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I wasn't 100% whether the OP was asking for advice on a tattoo that would be recogised as a medical signature which is why I brought it up. Ireland is fairly conservative when it comes to tattoos - I reckon we can all agree on that. Medical teams know to look for ID bracelets, not tattoos. So if it was for medical reasons on getting a diabetic tattoo, I'd suggest still wearing a medical bracelet would be a much more efficient symbol.

If it's just a tattoo you're looking for than any of the styles Marty has suggested would work. Otherwise ask a tattooist to draw a custom piece.

Sorry if I dragged this off topic :)

Yeah, if you want to get the tattoo done for practical reasons (ie paramedics will see it and know you're diabetic) you really should wear a bracelet or chain as well as the tattoo.

Reminds me to pick up a new medic alert bracelet actually

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

Thanks for all the advice guys, got the tattoo yesterday in Tallaght Ink. We used marty's first idea and changed it quite a bit.
    Here's a picture of it,

Looks great. I love how you did the cross part

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

That's quality! Here's to having it only as a decoration !!!

Advertisement