Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith's Valuation Revision books - PRONI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

That is fantastic news!

Are there any plans to digitize the books for the rest of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Donegal is so close, yet so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

montgo wrote: »
    That is fantastic news!

Are there any plans to digitize the books for the rest of Ireland?

The field/quarto/house books will come online this year on the National Archives genealogy website but there are no plans to digitize the Cancelled Land/Revision books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Well, thanks to these records I have had a good fix of family history.

Going back to the tithe applotments of 1832 I was able to find the land that one branch of my family had. Then you can see it change hands and split in the 1865 Griffiths valuation and then using these new records see how both plots of land move thru the family over a couple of generations up to 1929.

Interesting that the landlord appears to be the same from 1832 up to 1929. I guess his lordship passed it on to his son/grandson of the same name (John Madden)

The size of the holding is also interesting. Raising a large family on 9 acres must have been hard, but there seem to be many holders with a lot less. Tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

The field/quarto/house books will come online this year on the National Archives genealogy website but there are no plans to digitize the Cancelled Land/Revision books.

Thanks, good news at least that the house books, etc will be available on line some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Just my luck - Maghernahely townland in Bessbrook is only scanned from 1924-1929, where most have the records from 1865. It seems the rest of those townland records are part of the 44 to be added later. So frustrating! Aw well, c'est la vie. At least I know they're coming, the wait continues.

I could just go in person to view them of course, if I wasn't so lazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Those Valuation Revision Books are excellent. I got about 10 ancestors in about an hour using these. As trigger happy said, its great to watch the bits of land change hands over the years. Also great for working out date of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

there's been an update to this collection, with a further 39 volumes, missing pages, corrections etc - see : Additional Valuation Revision Books Now Online (PRONI)

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    there's been an update to this collection, with a further 39 volumes, missing pages, corrections etc - see : Additional Valuation Revision Books Now Online (PRONI)

At last....! :D

I wonder what's the hold-up?

The last news was from March:

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2015/03/land-testamentary-csorp-records-from.html

Advertisement