Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spur Steakhouse Liffey Valley closed

Options
  • 12-01-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Went to Liffey Valley a couple of weeks ago with the intention of having dinner at Spur Steakhouse, but when we got there we saw a sign on the door saying it was closed "due to an unforeseen technical issue". Was out there again today and it's still closed (with Christmas decorations still inside!).

Anyone have any idea why it's closed, or when it might open again? It's always been really busy anytime I've been there- I'd imagine they're losing a fortune being closed for this length of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,137 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe there was another fire? It was closed for a few days last year with a similar sign after there was a fire in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

No way! Every time I've been there there's been a queue out the door to get in! Really going to miss that place :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

aw no way!

The steakhouse was gorgeous. I'll miss their crispy onions most of all...

Now the only actual restaurant we've got is horrible Nandos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

phasers wrote: »
    aw no way!

The steakhouse was gorgeous. I'll miss their crispy onions most of all...

Now the only actual restaurant we've got is horrible Nandos

Nandos is muck but didnt rate Spurs much higher either, hopefully get something decent in there now. Would love a Counters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Would love a Counters.

Yes please! GBK would be out of business within a week if that happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dukedalton wrote: »
    No way! Every time I've been there there's been a queue out the door to get in! Really going to miss that place :mad:

Queue out the door, but deals were always on, but 1 get one free etc

First HMV, now Spur Steakhouse. This Internet has the world ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yeah - I always eat my steak online these days.

That's a pity :(

Been going there regularly since the place opened, what, 10 years ago? :(

The kids love the pizza and the chips with the white sauce. Basic food, but very reasonable prices. Much better quality and value than any of the junk food takeaways (McDonalds, etc.)

I guess €5.95 for a small steak and chips was a bit too cheap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

dukedalton wrote: »

I could never understand that. I can't stand the place!
    Ques used to be ridiculous sometimes.

I could never understand that. I can't stand the place!
    Ques used to be ridiculous sometimes.

Well the food was tasty, was reasonably priced and the staff were always very pleasant. I feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

Maybe... WE WILL GET A TGI'S???? :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

NR04 wrote: »
    Maybe... WE WILL GET A TGI'S???? :):):)
    Hope not
    Tgi's is disgusting and way over priced
    Il really miss spurs
    Me and herself and me lil one would go at least once a month
    Never got to try out the steakhouse challenge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sad to hear that,used to work there during the summer holidays when it first opened,did decent food for decent prices.Always found it better value then Eddie Rockets anyways.

Wonder who'll take over the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Going to miss the place, they had some good offers, on a brighter note we won't have to listen to people calling it 'Spurs' anymore....

I'd say TGI's will take that spot. They would be on a role if they could open in Liffey, having just opened in swords and temple bar last year.

Unfortunate news that, myself and the missus used to go a few times a year whenever we'd feel the need to pig out, 2 tri-combos and 2 cokes please, you wouldn't eat for a day after it! As the one in Newry is closed a few years now I think that brings an end to Spur's operations in Ireland :(

I think there might be one in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

NR04 wrote: »
    I think there might be one in Belfast.
    To the steakhouse mobile
    Lets go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jesus no not a TGI's shocking food for the prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

It's a very large unit. I can't see a single restaurant taking the whole lot. Would be ideal for 3 or 4 places to form a mini food court with shared seating. Similar to what's upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was just reading in the Echo there that the staff are still owed wages for the three weeks before Christmas.The franchisee went into liquidation apparently,and the corporation who own Spur are hoping to form a 'NEWCO' and re-open the place again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

The best steakhouse bar none imo., but you just never know what liabilities the owners were exposed to... maybe a massive property deal or the like,just because a place is doing a roaring trade doesnt mean the profits are not been swallowed up elsewhere in other debts. Sad to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It seems that Spur restaurant is set to open back up on good friday after discussions between centre management and the unit owners, It will be renamed Spur south africa and will reemploy all the previous staff, from this weeks echo cant get the link :-)

You can't beat a massive steak on Good Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

unkel wrote: »
    You can't beat a massive steak on Good Friday :D

:P Pesky atheist South Africans,trying to corrupt us good catholics :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

realies wrote: »
    It seems that Spur restaurant is set to open back up on good friday after discussions between centre management and the unit owners, It will be renamed Spur south africa and will reemploy all the previous staff, from this weeks echo cant get the link :-)

Delighted to hear this.Hubby was really missing a good steak :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Low grade muck is what Spur was.
    If you want a good steak buy one in Superquinn and cook it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Delighted its gone, ate there one evening as the queue for eddies was too long, have never felt so sick in my life, food took about 2 mins to come to us, tasted like it was leftover lunch sitting under hot lamps. Would love if TGI Fridays moved in, love their chicken tenders!

Advertisement