Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Empires II: HD Coming to Steam

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ahem :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Ahem :P

But..but I even did a boards search for Age of Empires and nothing recent showed.. foiled again! Do with this what you will cherryghost :)

(I didn't even notice the strategy sub-forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

i ****ing loved that game.

still do ......**** whatever gaming service made it stop and hamachi for not working most of the time ....**** all of them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bundle here for that and AOE3

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26189/

25 quid for the pair.

AOE3 is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gbear wrote: »
    Bundle here for that and AOE3

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26189/

25 quid for the pair.

AOE3 is pretty good.

Even though i'm looking at my physical copy of AoE 3 right now, and trying to figure out how to activate it without install off the CD's, i've just bought that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved AoE2, and will definitely be buying this. I still listed to the music on youtube every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

AoK one of my favorite games of all time and my first real online gaming experience, AoE being my first on 56k! :D:D

But to spend 20 quid on Nostalgia is abit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i still play aoe3 online :) delighted to hear this is back cant wait to play it , good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

AoK one of my favorite games of all time and my first real online gaming experience, AoE being my first on 56k! :D:D

But to spend 20 quid on Nostalgia is abit much.

Aye, but it's fancy nostalgia, plus for a fiver more you're getting AoE: Complete and an upcoming DLC! PC Gaming is going to cause my mortgage lender some serious problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

With match-making? I'm sold if that's anything like Starcraft 2's match making system.

I wonder if the game is even balanced.

We used to play on black forest maps so my strat was to harvest nothing but wood and use the market to get anything else I needed. It meant I didn't have to contend over any resource point like gold/stone. Ridiculous when I think back now

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    With match-making? I'm sold if that's anything like Starcraft 2's match making system.

We used to play on black forest maps so my strat was to harvest nothing but wood and use the market to get anything else I needed. It meant I didn't have to contend over any resource point like gold/stone. Ridiculous when I think back now

that strat is still used today :) i used it with the french in treaty games
    i gather nothing but food for the 40minutes
    then i use a card which switchs all food to gold
    then when the game starts i have over 300k gold, 0 food , 40k wood
    then i put all 80 villagers on food
    great tactic :) the market though is more balanced in aoe3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Loved this game back in the day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In the original you could pause the game for everyone in multiplayer, I wonder if they'll keep that in.

Varik wrote: »
    In the original you could pause the game for everyone in multiplayer, I wonder if they'll keep that in.

you can still do that
    but if one person clicks resume
    well then the it will over ride the pause for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you can still do that
    but if one person clicks resume
    well then the it will over ride the pause for everyone

But it was never 1 person that hit pause/resume, a lot of the time it's 2 which meant that when 2 people tried to unpause the game 1 would pause it while the other re-paused it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Grimebox wrote: »

I used to play AoE 2 a lot with some friends, we were playing Black Forest when one of them came up with a hilariously effective tactic; he used few trebuchets to dig a line for his army through the trees, avoiding someone's walls and towers to attack him from behind :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Denny M wrote: »
    I used to play AoE 2 a lot with some friends, we were playing Black Forest when one of them came up with a hilariously effective tactic; he used few trebuchets to dig a line for his army through the trees, avoiding someone's walls and towers to attack him from behind :pac:

lol, I was there. So many memories.

Remember when some guy abandoned his settlement and put all his units onto ONE boat? The face on him when I found it hiding. :D

Varik wrote: »
    But it was never 1 person that hit pause/resume, a lot of the time it's 2 which meant that when 2 people tried to unpause the game 1 would pause it while the other re-paused it.

i think it their should be timed pauses

like if one person clicks pause , then a timer counts down say 20-30seconds
    and that you only get two pauses in the game
    in 2v2s each team gets max 3 pauses
    because i still often to this day on aoe3 , need to run to the toliet ( have kidney problems ) and would asked people in the game could i pause it for a few seconds
    most of them would just click resume straight after i pause it , so its not really effective unless their is just one person controlling it for a set amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Denny M wrote: »

Ahh the memories. I think before Age of Kings was patched or the Conquerors came out that you could create a farm from a cut tree. So basically all you would do is get your villy's to hack each tree at least 3 times, then waste some wood to 'plant' the new farm. The tree which has still like 90+ wood remaining in it gets converted into the developing farm, then you delete the developing farm so you don't lose excess wood from your resources and you make a nice little path that way through the trees. Trebuchets were too slow.

The other way was to use onagers with chemistry researched. (Or was it siege Onagers?) and merely attack the ground at take out a nice pattern of trees in a matter of seconds. There was another technique too that I can't think of right now.

Another really cruel thing people used to do on Black forest was use the wooden walls (palasides or something?) and build them one after the other, while waiting for slower stone wall to be built miles back. Because wood was in such abundance the gate would merely consist of deleting and rebuilding wooden walls which would often be a ridiculous 4 or 5 walls think. They'd be destroyed in matter of seconds of course, but unless the attacker micromanaged his troops welll they'd just all start attacking random walls and slow down their penetration all the while actually being more vulnerable to archers. Cheap and lousy but effective.
    :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

lol, I was there. So many memories.

Remember when some guy abandoned his settlement and put all his units onto ONE boat? The face on him when I found it hiding. :D
    Those were some good games, best use of a Wednesday afternoon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Favourite was building walls around a trebuchet.

other guy be wondering why i wasting stone just outside his base building little square boxes.

Stick a trebuchet insider took ages for him to get to it :D

half his town gone by the time he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Favourite was building walls around a trebuchet.

other guy be wondering why i wasting stone just outside his base building little square boxes.

Stick a trebuchet insider took ages for him to get to it :D

half his town gone by the time he did.

Oh God I remember playing with somebody in a team game who pulled that technique. I couldn't stop laughing! It was my first time seeing it and I just loved the innovation.

Another favourite of mine was to leave units maximum garrisoned inside a barracks/stables/etc. 9/10 times unless the enemy was micromanaging their units they'd continue attacking the building when your units appeared outside them and just started flanking them. It was priceless at times.
    (The best one though is when you create demo ships and store them in your own dock.:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Jernal wrote: »
    The other way was to use onagers with chemistry researched. (Or was it siege Onagers?) and merely attack the ground at take out a nice pattern of trees in a matter of seconds. There was another technique too that I can't think of right now.

It was definitely only Siege Onagers, I can remember some of the campaign missions where you were given a couple to shortcut your way through the map :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Great game as it was, I wont be picking it up as i don't think it will be as good as it was. Seems like just another nostalgia cash grab.

How are they going to handle the multiplayer aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Taylor365 wrote: »
    How are they going to handle the multiplayer aspect?

Based on the trailer, it looks to be like any other Steamworks game, with proper game lobbies and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires

it's being streamed here atm, looks nice

--edit

up to 500 population cap, lol
    has resume from replay (something sc2 only got in the last month)
    no lan support for multiplayer, has to go through steam
    apparently very easy to use over two monitors, can just go into windowed mode (alt+enter) and just drag the window to whatever size you want including across several screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Why stream a game with cheats on :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

presumably they dont want to spend half an hour every game building up their ****? :)

can use steam matchmaking or the old lobby, awesome

--edit

AgeOfEmpires ‏@AgeOfEmpires
    Just revealed on the @AGEIIHD live stream: on March 28th watch pros Viper vs Daut go head to head - more details coming soon!

could be interesting. 11am pst on the 28th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No love for Age of Mythology?

Advertisement