Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless thread

Options
  • 14-03-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering, there was good comparison made between the Vulcans and France, the French are snooty, highly cultural etc and the Vulcans are snooty, highly cultural etc so I was thinking what nations would you compare star trek races species to? For example the Klingon are easy, Nordic people, because they're so firmly rooted in Viking culture. Romulans would be the Russians ie the cold war with the Fed,, the borg are the Germans due to their efficiency and relentlessness, the humans are the anglo sphere or the EU, the Nausicans are the Latvians and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I wonder will I be the first to wonder who the Dominion are? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the really tricky one is who the ferenghi are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The Swiss. Or maybe the Caymen Islanders.

eh......no

unless i'm missing the comedy in your post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

eh......no

unless i'm missing the comedy in your post

it's well disguised, but hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Would Jewish count as an answer?

goz83 wrote: »
    Would Jewish count as an answer?

it would indeed

change the stereotypically enlarged body part and boom, you got yourself a sci fi race of aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pretty sure the Vulcan's were based on Ancient Greek culture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I feel the ferengi are probably an allegory of 20th and 21st century humans.

I don't feel it's as clear cut as that with the klingons either. In the original series, Klingons were devious and tricksome. True, they were always spoiling for a fight, but they also had their devous disguise and underhanded plots. Vikings etc are not popularly known for these.

Much more like the cardassians of DS9 than the klingons of the 24th century series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Surely they're the Romani gypsies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Removed one post. I feel discussion of the creation of races based on ethnicity/countries etc is fine but will be watching for anything I feel is out of line.

Woden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I feel the ferengi are probably an allegory of 20th and 21st century humans.

I don't feel it's as clear cut as that with the klingons either. In the original series, Klingons were devious and tricksome. True, they were always spoiling for a fight, but they also had their devous disguise and underhanded plots. Vikings etc are not popularly known for these.

Much more like the cardassians of DS9 than the klingons of the 24th century series.

The Klingons seemed like a metaphor for the USSR or the Mongols under Genghis Khan. In relation to the ferengi that's what Rodenberry said, so probably right. Interesting that the Vulcans are meant to be the ancient Greeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

The Klingons seemed like a metaphor for the USSR or the Mongols under Genghis Khan. In relation to the ferengi that's what Rodenberry said, so probably right. Interesting that the Vulcans are meant to be the ancient Greeks.

Hardly the best known for burying their passions.

Advertisement