Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Metro station that New York forgot about

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I love stuff like this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it just me or do photos 5 and 6 look like the subway station from preditor 2, the subway scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some of the New York pictures looked familiar. Turns out it was a level in the game The Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Must have been cos of that river of slime flowing through it

• Advertisement

Was there not a video on here (CVPL) about a guy that went down with his friend (who was videoing the 'adventure')? It was about exploring NYC and he was in the subway for a good portion of the video (and climbed a bridge later on).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Was there not a video on here (CVPL) about a guy that went down with his friend (who was videoing the 'adventure')? It was about exploring NYC and he was in the subway for a good portion of the video (and climbed a bridge later on).

was this it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWF3IDk9Gek

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

wow just wow

Ive been to the ones in Stockholm and Prague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i love stuff like that, there are disused lines under london as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Old war rooms I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yes, there was.

City Hall station is now used as a loop for the Downtown 6 Train to turn around it. Stay on the train at the last stop and you will get a quick little tour as it turns around to come back out on the Uptown side. It's pretty cool. The Transit Museum in New York offer tours once or twice a year but you have to be a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    City Hall station is now used as a loop for the Downtown 6 Train to turn around it. Stay on the train at the last stop and you will get a quick little tour as it turns around to come back out on the Uptown side. It's pretty cool. The Transit Museum in New York offer tours once or twice a year but you have to be a member.

I done this last year,you get about 30 seconds to have a gawk at the former station as the train passes through. This was the crappy video i recorded on my phone but gives you a rough idea of what it's like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The SAS train in them

one reason to keep old maps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Wasn't The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie about something like this?

I love the part in that documentary of the guy in New York when he knows the homeless guys in the abandoned railway lines. He's obviously been there quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is the bit in ghostbusters 2 as well where they explore abandoned lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Not really whole lines, just bits and pieces really. The abandoned station and track at Aldwych is often used as a film and TV set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The SAS train in them

one reason to keep old maps

Chicago found out the hard way back in '92 about 'keeping old maps'. When drilling for new pylons (to protect the bridges) on the Chicago River, they broke through and hit some old 'coal tunnels'. The soot and sediment were slowly pushed into the tunnels until the water from the River broke through and began to flood the entire 'Loop' (city centre).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coeeBc3bfMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MoNyzmWz_Y

Advertisement