Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying in Sweden

• 18-02-2013 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I know this probably isn't the right thread but hoping someone might help us.
    I'm looking into applying to study an undergraduate degree in sweden next year and wondering if anyone could give us some info on what you would need to get in other than to speaking swedish. i'm 24 btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

penzo wrote: »
    I know this probably isn't the right thread but hoping someone might help us.
    I'm looking into applying to study an undergraduate degree in sweden next year and wondering if anyone could give us some info on what you would need to get in other than to speaking swedish. i'm 24 btw.

Didn't read through it, but this website looks promising: https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

http://www.studyinsweden.se is another good start.

What are you planning to study? A full program (3-5 years) or single courses?
    Any particular university? Do you know any Swedish?

First you need to be accepted. That can be a problem as there are more applicants than places, although it varies a lot depending on the degree. I.e. if you want to study medicine or law it is a whole lot more difficult than if you want to become a teacher. If you are studying in an university at the moment it's usually easier to get sent as an exchange student.

If you are an EU citizen, there are no university fees. You might get a government grant during the time (about €300 per month, plus a loan of about €600 per month), but I'm not sure about how the rules for that applies to foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

Stenth wrote: »
    http://www.studyinsweden.se is another good start.

What are you planning to study? A full program (3-5 years) or single courses?
    Any particular university? Do you know any Swedish?

First you need to be accepted. That can be a problem as there are more applicants than places, although it varies a lot depending on the degree. I.e. if you want to study medicine or law it is a whole lot more difficult than if you want to become a teacher. If you are studying in an university at the moment it's usually easier to get sent as an exchange student.

If you are an EU citizen, there are no university fees. You might get a government grant during the time (about €300 per month, plus a loan of about €600 per month), but I'm not sure about how the rules for that applies to foreigners.

cheers ! thanks for the reply.

I don't really have a particular city, university or even course tbh, but I would like to teach eventually and have a wide interest of thing I would like to study so would probably more let the demand of subject and chances of acceptance dictate what I study.

yeah I have a good bit of swedish, I taught my self for the past 4 years, I would like to do one of them intense swedish courses that are offered and then go on to do a degree in swedish.

what I find the hardest though is a specific into on what I shoud have to get in, how is the leaving cert ranked over there, and what subjects would I need to have studied for what courses or even just generally probability of getting accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hej!
    I am trying to search my memory as to how I registered for part-time distance courses in Swedish universities.
    One website I used was www.studera.nu. This is an information site, where you can search for and compare courses, as well as providing you with a link to Antagning.se where you can apply for a place in a course in university, if I remember correctly, and if things haven't changed.
    The details for Behörighet (General Entry Requirements) can be found here : http://www.studera.nu/omstudier/omstudier/grundlaggandebehorighettillgrundniva.5.28308bac1321d2b50a580004005.html

If you scroll down you can find out what it says about General Entry requirements for those who hold a qualification from abroad, ie scroll down to Utländska betyg.

There is a test called TISUS Test i svenska för universitets- och högskolestudier (TISUS) which people from outside Sweden take to show that they have the minimum level of Swedish to apply to University.
    Either that or you have to have studied Swedish in Komvux (adult education system in Sweden) or as a preparatory course in a UNiversity. The other options to Tisus are outlined in that link above. The next TISUS date is 7 May 2013, and you can sit it in centres outside of Sweden, but it may be on a different date than 7th May, check it on http://www.nordiska.su.se/tisus.

You also have to have a certain standard in Maths and English, here is a link to Antagning.se where you can read more about presenting with foreign qualifications: https://www.antagning.se/sv/Det-har-galler-for-dig-som-gatt/Utlandsk-gymnasieutbildning/.
    IN that link it talks about how you send in your qualifications to UHR (via an address Antagning.se send to you) to have them make a decision as to how your qualifications measure up to Swedish qualifications, and they give you a link to UHR, but that link doesn't work. This one does:http://www.uhr.se/sv/Bedomning-av-utlandsk-utbildning/ if you want to read about it.
    Aswell as that there are often specific entry requirements for different courses depending on what course it is, and one way to investiagte that is to go to the Studera.nu website, press the second tab at the top, Sök och Jämför Utbildning, and then choose the area of study you are interested in, eg Undervisning at bottom right, then Grundlärare (primary type teacher, just as an example) and the list of courses open up and if you press on any course, a little box opens up and you can automatically see what the entry requiremetns are , eg, i chose Grundläre in Linköping, the second course in the list and this is what I got: http://jamforutbildning.studera.nu/sok-jamfor/omrade/grundlarare-278,
    you need to fulfill the General entyr requirments in Swedish, English and Maths as well as extra requirements in Maths. Science, and Civics and Social Education:
    ie Grundläggande behörighet + matematik 2a/matematik2b/matematik2c, Naturkunskap 1b/naturkunskap 1a1+1a2, samhällskunskap 1b/samhällskunskap 1a1+1a2 eller 6b: Grundläggande färdigheter + En B, Ma B, Nk A, Sh A

you can read a general inforamtion bit about Specific-Special Entry requirements back on studera.nu, here: http://www.studera.nu/omstudier/omstudier/sarskildbehorighettillgrundniva.5.27d86368130216405a680005927.html

wow, I am amazed I managed to find all that for you,
    if you have any more questions,
    just holler
    Lycka till!
    duckling, (ankungen!)

ps the specific page for information about having a Leaving Cert checked out by antagning.se is here, and which papers to send in:
    https://www.antagning.se/sv/Det-har-galler-for-dig-som-gatt/Utlandsk-gymnasieutbildning/Skicka-in-ratt-papper/

antagning.se is the same site as universityadmissions.se , one is in Swedish and one in English...

Furthermore, the online applications for courses and Programmes of study which start in Autumn term 2013, (HT2013) open on 15th March at www.antagning.se, and close on 15th April 2013.
    One can apply for courses in the Summerterm 2013 now for next 2 days, until 15th March. This refers to courses in the Summer months, usually short courses, in my experience.
    When you apply to a course on antagning.se and if you have qualifications from abroad, then they will ask you to send in copies of your qualifications so they can be verified and assessed by them. In on eof the sites I mentioned above, it said that if you are eligilbe to attend university in your own country you are generally eligible to attend university in Sweden as well, as long as you can prove your competency in the Swedish language, and that would generally be via the TISUS test for us in Ireland.
    I didn't do the TISUS, I lived in Sweden at the time and I did the Rikstestet, that was what one had to do at the time.

This says a bit about it too:http://www.studyineurope.eu/study-in-sweden/admission/requirements

• Advertisement

thank you so much ! that was hugely helpful, and I do have the definitely have the basic matriculation requirements for university in ireland although not great results either but at least I know my leaving cert is good enough for general admission, so in summary I need to find a course that would accept somewhat mediocre results and keep studying swedish.

It's not something i'm planning on applying for this year anyway, but maybe next year.

thanks ago, i'll have a proper look through specific courses and if I have any response I'll hit you back. oh it's secondary school teacher that I would like to be, have you heard before on any course or subjects that are generally not as hard to get into?

so are you actually irish? and how did you end up in going there in the first place?

If you want to study a program to become a secondary school teacher (3 or 4 years, depending on specialization), that's fairly easy to get into. As in, there are more places than applicants in most universities. Seriously, you should not have any problem. And you can apply to lots of different universities, it doesn't cost anything :-)

If you want to study separate courses and "build your own degree", it's somewhat more difficult as you are not guaranteed a place in the courses, but probably doable.

Here is some more information about those programs:
    http://www.lararutbildningar.se/Laerarutbildning_Grundlaerare__d709.html

Seems like you would be primarily interested in "Grundlärarutbildning inriktning Grundskolans åk 4–6, 240 hp"

They are very used to foreign students (at least in Uppsala and Stockholm, I can't say anything for sure about other cities), and should be able to tell you anything you need to apply. Their main concern would be that you are not able to follow the lectures if they are in Swedish.

well Penzo, glad that was helpful.
    I am Irish, living in Ireland, married to a Swede and I lived in Sweden for about 3 years in the 1990's. I learned my Swedish then, by going to a combination of private Swedish classes at Folkuniversitet in Gothenburg, and then later studying in the state-sponsored Adult Education System, Komvux. After that I took the Rikstestet and was very pleased to pass it.
    I didn't atttend university in Sweden at all. It was only in recent years with the advent of the internet that I got interested in studying distance courses and I discovered that courses in Sewdish universities were free, and available to me, all I had to do was apply and hope I got a place.
    I have taken a few part-time distance courses, eg Preparaion for Maths and 2 psychology courses, online, på svenska, distans, I made sure to choose courses with no obligatory classes on site.
    I hope to get back to more studying, but not yet, as I have children and a husband and a job....
    Lycka till,
    keep up the language learning,
    can you go to Sweden for a month or more in the summer? total immersion is really good for language learning.
    regards
    d

Stenth wrote: »
    If you want to study a program to become a secondary school teacher (3 or 4 years, depending on specialization), that's fairly easy to get into. As in, there are more places than applicants in most universities. Seriously, you should not have any problem. And you can apply to lots of different universities, it doesn't cost anything :-)

If you want to study separate courses and "build your own degree", it's somewhat more difficult as you are not guaranteed a place in the courses, but probably doable.

Here is some more information about those programs:
    http://www.lararutbildningar.se/Laerarutbildning_Grundlaerare__d709.html

Seems like you would be primarily interested in "Grundlärarutbildning inriktning Grundskolans åk 4–6, 240 hp"

They are very used to foreign students (at least in Uppsala and Stockholm, I can't say anything for sure about other cities), and should be able to tell you anything you need to apply. Their main concern would be that you are not able to follow the lectures if they are in Swedish.

Thanks for the reply but I think what you linked me was more the equivalent of primary school rather than secondary, or at least I should have said high level of secondary school. I think I was more looking for the lines of Gymnasieutbildning, unless it was also on that page and I missed it? or is that a different page

no unfortunately I wouldn't be able to spend a long time in sweden, I am planning on spending a week though, and do already listen to swedish, music, radio etc so that's helping alot.

cheers again !

Sorry, I misunderstood completely what you meant by secondary school. Obviously my language skills are not yet perfect. :-)

Yes, in that case the page you want is this one
    http://www.lararutbildningar.se/Laerarutbildning_Aemneslaerare__d713.html

Basically, you can choose between year 7-9 (most students are 13-15 years old) or high school (year 10-12). You will need to specialize in two or three subjects to teach (I'm guessing English would be an obvious choice for one of them). Not all universities have all specializations, so you might want to look around for something you are interested in.

• Advertisement

This forum is so quiet this is still only halfway down the first thread page:pac:

yeah so found a few courses that looked like i'd be eligible for, and am planning on doing the tisus this october, but now the thing that looks to stop me might be money.

from reading around it looks like there's no swedish grants or loans to eu students without further connects apart from just studying there, and you seem to need to show the migration board that you have at least 7300 sek in your possession for each month of studies(for the first 10 months I think anyway) before going. dam, I know nothing about irish grants or student loan systems but I imagine not much there would help me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PamelaGip

Hi penzo,

I would recommend you only learning basic swedish which is not hard at all [In my opinion is one of the easiest languages]. But with the basic Swedish there is no possible way that you can study, that's why I highly recommend to study in English while you are in Sweden. If you do not if to chose english or swedish please read this article it has lots of info that you can gain. http://www.studying-in-sweden.com/studying-in-english-or-swedish/. so what do you think?

If you choose Sweden I would love to meet you sometimes :P

PS: the nightlife here is crazy

Advertisement