Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books On the Psychology of what happened the Irish

Options
  • 18-02-2013 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Is there such a book? on how the famine/British rule affected Irish peoples mentality or any book on the effects of this sort of thing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So a book that blames the Engerlish on Irish peoples inability to govern themselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Is there such a book? on how the famine/British rule affected Irish peoples mentality or any book on the effects of this sort of thing??

This theory was discussed on the RTE series Blighted Nation so I am sure there stuff on it somewhere. To be honest though it strikes me as pretty dodgy science but that is only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ECF

John Joseph Lee's Ireland 1912-1985 Politics & Society should provide you with an insight into the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

Ipso wrote: »
    So a book that blames the Engerlish on Irish peoples inability to govern themselves?

Thats not what he said at all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Tim Pat Coogan talks a it about that in his new book on the famine, says he thinks the Irish have a psychological condition caled "Learned Helplessness".

Interesting thesis and personally I think there is something in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

GRMA wrote: »
    Tim Pat Coogan talks a it about that in his new book on the famine, says he thinks the Irish have a psychological condition caled "Learned Helplessness".

Interesting thesis and personally I think there is something in it

MOPE complex is probably more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Put the stick down Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wouldn't expect to find any studies of psychological trauma that far back, and modern day psychology professionals can only guess what it was like by basing their guesswork on recent large scale traumatic events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ...... modern day psychology professionals can only guess what it was like by basing their guesswork on recent large scale traumatic events.

Isn't that what TPC did with history in his latest book?;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't that what TPC did with history in his latest book?;):D:D

He's a lot older than he looks.:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement