Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using force to protect your home against intruders

Options
  • 20-02-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

How much force can I use if someone enters my property with intentions to harm me and my family? Ive had 3 dead treats against me. yesterday I confronted a person who made treats against my life and had a fight in which I did not assault the person, but restrained them and nearly had my finger bitten all the way off. I just want to no that I can use the force required to make sure no harm comes to me or my family and not be prosecuted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

N3r0 wrote: »
    Ive had 3 dead treats against me.
    Go to the Garda and get security advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 N3r0

The Garda are not an option, where I come from we dont invole the garda. Thank you for your fast reply

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Get a hatchet and an air soft pistol if any one enters the house grab these fire air soft pistol at him/them if continue at you start swinging hatchet at them try hit an arm etc. that's my plan anyway. As far as law I'm not sure but just drag them out the house at end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

How much force can I use if someone enters my property with intentions to harm me and my family? Ive had 3 dead treats against me. yesterday I confronted a person who made treats against my life and had a fight in which I did not assault the person, but restrained them and nearly had my finger bitten all the way off. I just want to no that I can use the force required to make sure no harm comes to me or my family and not be prosecuted.

The law says you can use reasonable force considering all the circumstances. A jury will decide whats reasonable or not ie, if someone breaks into your house with a spoon as a weapon and you sledgehammer them to death, youre gonna have a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Get a hatchet and an air soft pistol if any one enters the house grab these fire air soft pistol at him/them if continue at you start swinging hatchet at them try hit an arm etc. that's my plan anyway. As far as law I'm not sure but just drag them out the house at end.

LMAO. I can only presume humour was the intent.

• Advertisement

what if they had a knife, could I shoot them in the lower area of the body ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Justifiable use of forece etc

2.— (1) Notwithstanding the generality of any other enactment or rule of law and subject to subsections (2) and (3), it shall not be an offence for a person who is in his or her dwelling, or for a person who is a lawful occupant in a dwelling, to use force against another person or the property of another person where—

(a) he or she believes the other person has entered or is entering the dwelling as a trespasser for the purpose of committing a criminal act, and

(b) the force used is only such as is reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be

(i) to protect himself or herself or another person present in the dwelling from injury, assault, detention or death caused by a criminal act,

(ii) to protect his or her property or the property of another person from appropriation, destruction or damage caused by a criminal act, or

(iii) to prevent the commission of a crime or to effect, or assist in effecting, a lawful arrest.

(2) Subsection (1) shall not apply where the person uses force against—

(a) a member of the Garda Síochána acting in the course of his or her duty,

(b) a person assisting a member of the Garda Síochána acting in the course of his or her duty, or

(c) a person lawfully performing a function authorised by or under any enactment.

(3) Subsection (1) shall not apply where the person using the force engages in conduct or causes a state of affairs for the purpose of using that force to resist or terminate an act of another person acting in response to that conduct or state of affairs, but subsection (1) may apply, if the occasion for the use of force arises only because the person using the force concerned does something he or she may lawfully do, knowing that such an occasion will arise.

(4) It is immaterial whether a belief is justified or not if it is honestly held but in considering whether the person using the force honestly held the belief, the court or the jury, as the case may be, shall have regard to the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for the person so believing and all other relevant circumstances.

(5) It is immaterial whether the person using the force had a safe and practicable opportunity to retreat from the dwelling before using the force concerned.

(6) (a) A person shall be regarded as using force in relation to another person if he or she—

(i) applies force in relation to or causes an impact on the body of that other person,

(ii) threatens to apply force in relation to or cause an impact on the body of that other person, or

(iii) detains that other person.

(b) A person shall be regarded as using force in relation to property belonging to another person if he or she—

(i) applies force to that property,

(ii) causes an impact on that property, or

(iii) threatens to apply force to or cause an impact on that property.

(7) The use of force shall not exclude the use of force causing death.

Your first words should be I believed my life and my families lives were in imminent danger. If you have someone on your property tresspassing threatening you and you honenstly feel your life, families life or property is in danger you may use force that results in death though a jury will consider whether the belief was honest. Whether the threat was real or not is IMMATERIAL. Only that you honestly held it is important (a jury cant second guess your heat of the moment decision). You do NOT have to retreat. Stand your ground and arm yourself if you need to. It can be inside or the area just around your house (curtilage)

The jury only consider whether you honestly held the opinion life was in danger. They cant consider whether force was proportional. If someting happens stick to your story that you were scared of being killed and acted to preserve your life, like glue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its up to a jury to say if its reasonable or not.

Would you be confident aiming at the lower area of the body or would you be just aiming low and firing, most shooters aim centre mass and hope for the best so you would need to be a better shot.

What area of the house are they in, are they close to your family, have you warned them verbally. Have you fired warning shots.

Its up to a jury and they will probably take the above factors into account.

Thanks guys for all the help, I can seek some comfort in the information you have giving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

NoQuarter wrote: »
    The law says you can use reasonable force considering all the circumstances. A jury will decide whats reasonable or not ie, if someone breaks into your house with a spoon as a weapon and you sledgehammer them to death, youre gonna have a bad time.

If someone came into my house with the intent of spooning, it would not end well.

• Advertisement

If someone came into my house with the intent of spooning, it would not end well.

Hahaha good one

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Considering this:
    The Garda are not an option, where I come from we dont invole the garda.

I'm assuming that any firearm you might have is unlicensed. If so, I'd advise against using it if you want to continue keeping the Gardai out of it. There are few quicker ways to involve the Gardai than by discharging a firearm where it's not expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

if someone breaks into your house with a spoon as a weapon and you sledgehammer them to death, youre gonna have a bad time.

Tell that to Humpty Dumpty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP in no way legal advice but I'd err on the side of 'I had it in the house guard' such as a kitchen knife or hurley stick thing rather than any sort of air gun etc. TBH if the threats are real legal ramifications are probably quite low down the list anyway.

I realise what you're saying about no-one goes to the guards but perhaps some sort of community action might be the way to go. I have no experience in what you're talking about I'm afraid so no advice on how to start something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQygUIrMorlrpLVgnF_GuVtf5GV56JCMRLHywyhhwVHBnZRI268dg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If they are running at you with a knife I would be aiming at the center of their torso and fire as many shots needed until they drop.

A knife is as dangerous as any bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Turner wrote: »
    If they are running at you with a knife I would be aiming at the center of their torso and fire as many shots needed until they drop.

A knife is as dangerous as any bullet.

In most cases, in Ireland, in realistic terms, that's a bit like saying "I would smite them with a bolt of lightning"...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

To hell with all that, anyone comes in my house, I'm going Hostel on their asses!! Or, scream and flay my arms around until they go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Garda are not an option, where I come from we dont invole the garda. Thank you for your fast reply

If you don't involve the Gardaí the family of the person breaking in won't either, so it does it really mater what you can legally do to an intruder?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Your first words should be I believed my life and my families lives were in imminent danger.

If that. Your second words should certainly be "I do not wish to say anything further at this time."

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Oh the scholarship:

Criminal Law (Defence and the Dwelling) Act, 2011.

Cases:

DPP v Barnes;
    DPP v Nally.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0035/sec0002.html#sec2

Justifiable use of force, etc.

2.— (1) Notwithstanding the generality of any other enactment or rule of law and subject to subsections (2) and (3), it shall not be an offence for a person who is in his or her dwelling, or for a person who is a lawful occupant in a dwelling, to use force against another person or the property of another person where—

(a) he or she believes the other person has entered or is entering the dwelling as a trespasser for the purpose of committing a criminal act, and

(b) the force used is only such as is reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be—

(i) to protect himself or herself or another person present in the dwelling from injury, assault, detention or death caused by a criminal act,

(ii) to protect his or her property or the property of another person from appropriation, destruction or damage caused by a criminal act, or

(iii) to prevent the commission of a crime or to effect, or assist in effecting, a lawful arrest.

(b) a person assisting a member of the Garda Síochána acting in the course of his or her duty, or

(c) a person lawfully performing a function authorised by or under any enactment.

(3) Subsection (1) shall not apply where the person using the force engages in conduct or causes a state of affairs for the purpose of using that force to resist or terminate an act of another person acting in response to that conduct or state of affairs, but subsection (1) may apply, if the occasion for the use of force arises only because the person using the force concerned does something he or she may lawfully do, knowing that such an occasion will arise.

(4) It is immaterial whether a belief is justified or not if it is honestly held but in considering whether the person using the force honestly held the belief, the court or the jury, as the case may be, shall have regard to the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for the person so believing and all other relevant circumstances.

(5) It is immaterial whether the person using the force had a safe and practicable opportunity to retreat from the dwelling before using the force concerned.

(6) (a) A person shall be regarded as using force in relation to another person if he or she—

(i) applies force in relation to or causes an impact on the body of that other person,

(ii) threatens to apply force in relation to or cause an impact on the body of that other person, or

(iii) detains that other person.

(b) A person shall be regarded as using force in relation to property belonging to another person if he or she—

(i) applies force to that property,

(ii) causes an impact on that property, or

(iii) threatens to apply force to or cause an impact on that property.

(7) The use of force shall not exclude the use of force causing death.

(8) An act is criminal notwithstanding that the person doing the act—

(a) if charged with an offence in respect of it, would be acquitted on the ground that—

(i) he or she acted under duress,

(ii) his or her act was involuntary,

(iii) he or she was in a state of intoxication, or

(iv) he or she was insane so as not to be responsible according to law for the act,

or

(b) was a person to whom section 52 (1) of the Children Act 2001 applied.

(9) The references in subsection (1)(b) to protecting a person or property from a criminal act include references to protecting the person or property from the continuation of the act, and the reference to preventing the commission of a crime or to effecting, or assisting in effecting, a lawful arrest shall be similarly construed.

(10) In this section—

“intoxication” means being under the intoxicating influence of any alcoholic drink, drug, solvent or any other substance or combination of substances;

“property” means property of a tangible nature, whether real or personal, including money and—

(a) shall be regarded as belonging to any person—

(i) having custody or control of it,

(ii) having in it any proprietary right or interest (not being an equitable interest arising only from an agreement to transfer or grant an interest), or

(iii) having a charge over it,

(b) where property is subject to a trust, the persons to whom the property belongs shall be regarded as including any person having a right to enforce the trust, and

(c) property of a corporation sole shall be regarded as belonging to the corporation notwithstanding a vacancy in the corporation.

(11) For the avoidance of doubt, a reference in this section to property includes, unless the context otherwise requires, a reference to a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6.

(b) the force used is only such as is reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be—

Just to highlight the above in case someone thinks it wise to plant a minefield in the front garden.

Is it me or is that Act incredibly badly drafted? (Just in terms of the words used, notwithstanding other issues.)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Yeah it's just you ;)

Seriously, no you're right, it's not fantastic.

What's the definition of Burglary.

Tom Young wrote: »
    What's the definition of Burglary.

Thankfully for that one I've a very good lecturer! I have to admit if I'd tried to untangle that one myself I probably would have struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Just to highlight the above in case someone thinks it wise to plant a minefield in the front garden.

Is it me or is that Act incredibly badly drafted? (Just in terms of the words used, notwithstanding other issues.)

Its a deliberate fudge, very ambiguous. Like they copped out just short of giving us a proper castle law. Hopefully the DPP will decline to prosecute on the first test but I doubt it. That profession gets no repeat custom from scum off the street or in a grave.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Its a deliberate fudge, very ambiguous. Like they copped out just short of giving us a proper castle law. Hopefully the DPP will decline to prosecute on the first test but I doubt it. That profession gets no repeat custom from scum off the street or in a grave.

They copped out of doing anything - the Act did very little to change the existing law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It also says threatening to use force is also considered using force so if you threaten some piece of garbage who has broken into your house you have committed an offence.

juice1304 wrote: »
    It also says threatening to use force is also considered using force so if you threaten some piece of garbage who has broken into your house you have committed an offence.

Threat of force may be considered reasonable even where the use of force would not be. Given the fairly wide latitude given in home defence type situations I'm not sure your statement has much support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cocobear

No
    I would turn them into a human sieve with my 12 gauge
    Take the spoon out of their dead hand, and close their fingers around the biggest carving knife we have, and 10 minutes after they stopped breathing I would dial 999
    And the phrase to use consistently and repeatedly is as follows
    " I WAS IN FEAR OF MY LIFE"
    Jobdone!!!!!!

Advertisement