Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Belturbet Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

How on earth is traffic so high? There is nothing in that part of the country and no major destination at the end.

"Major destination" is not the point. This is the main route for all of Cavan, Fermanagh, half of Donegal and part of Tyrone, a quarter of a million people. Contrast that with the M9 which only has County Waterford with half that population at its end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ardmacha wrote: »

"Major destination" is not the point. This is the main route for all of Cavan, Fermanagh, half of Donegal and part of Tyrone, a quarter of a million people. Contrast that with the M9 which only has County Waterford with half that population at its end.
    Plus kilkenny carlow and new Ross. South east region has half a mill people in the 6 counties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Plus kilkenny carlow and new Ross. South east region has half a mill people in the 6 counties.

And 2 motorways and a crap N road in between to Dublin don't forget. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ardmacha wrote: »

M9 is far busier than the N/M3 and at various points further from Dublin.
    Check out figures here for comparison. And compare similarly to the M8/7/6 at various points too. Happy reading to all who like to think the M9 is an unused white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Guys, any chance for some photographic update?
    This project must be coming along nicely by now. Especially the new bridge.
    Any info about the opening date? Ahead of schedule? On time? Or maybe delayed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Geogregor wrote: »
    Guys, any chance for some photographic update?
    This project must be coming along nicely by now. Especially the new bridge.
    Any info about the opening date? Ahead of schedule? On time? Or maybe delayed?

I was on the road yesterday for a walk and they have alot of work to do yet,I took a few pictures of the new bridge crossing the Erne, The opening date was Down for May but i have heard that they could be having problems with the bridges in the bog and with what i seen there is loads of work to do yet so could be longer.

Pictures are to large to display here so click on attachments below.

Some more pictures. Also picture IMG_2491.JPG shows the depth of tar already on the road but alot more to add.

Thanks for the quick response. I honestly wasn't hoping for that good shots.

It looks like they still have quite a lot to do. But May might be doable. It seems that bridge is structurally done, all they need to do now is waterproofing of the deck, laying tarmac and adding barriers. Could be done in 2-3 months or even less if they push for it.
    I guess a lot depends how about the rest of scheme. If most of the base layers are laid on the majority of the project length then the wearing course can be added quite quickly.

It looks like they still have quite a lot to do. But May might be doable. It seems that bridge is structurally done, all they need to do now is waterproofing of the deck, laying tarmac and adding barriers. Could be done in 2-3 months or even less if they push for it.
    I guess a lot depends how about the rest of scheme. If most of the base layers are laid on the majority of the project length then the wearing course can be added quite quickly.

The have loads of work to do on the "putchcan bog" area where there having problems with sinking ground and the are also working on the suspension bridge on the butlersbridge side which i havn't got a picture of but the are only laying the supports for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Is this the ROIs first big Extrados bridge?

• Advertisement

Is this the ROIs first big Extrados bridge?

Apparently thats true yes

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    The have loads of work to do on the "putchcan bog" area where there having problems with sinking ground and the are also working on the suspension bridge on the butlersbridge side which i havn't got a picture of but the are only laying the supports for them.

Oh, there is another bridge? Something big?
    If they really only doing supports for it then it will be good if they finish before the next winter.

Oh, there is another bridge? Something big?
    If they really only doing supports for it then it will be good if they finish before the next winter.

Yea, Theres another suspension bridge going across the old n3 road here, Its a real boggy area to the right of that road and they have a to build a bridge over it.

Overall going very slowly and plenty to do.

Yea, Theres another suspension bridge going across the old n3 road here, Its a real boggy area to the right of that road and they have a to build a bridge over it.

Ok, thanks.
    Do you know where can I find more details about this bridge? Is it going to be long?
    Maybe you could take some pictures of it as well, next time when you go for a walk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

I was on the road yesterday for a walk and they have alot of work to do yet,I took a few pictures of the new bridge crossing the Erne, The opening date was Down for May but i have heard that they could be having problems with the bridges in the bog and with what i seen there is loads of work to do yet so could be longer.

Pictures are to large to display here so click on attachments below.

Great pics, thanks for sharing those.
    The pic ending in -86 that you attached, the one taken from the bridge, shows a lot of water backed up. They've obviously had to do this to construct the bridge down river but its caused flooding further up river.
    A section of the N3 was closed for the last few weeks because of this, traffic from cavan to belturbet/ballyconnell/enniskillen/ donegal has had to divert. Its only a few miles and will be worth it in the end.

Id say a 2/3 months for completion is optimistic. Its amazing how long landscaping, painting and signage takes to do. You could drive on a new road months before its actually ready to be opened.

All the wet weather last year held progress up a lot Id say.

Ok, thanks.
    Do you know where can I find more details about this bridge? Is it going to be long?
    Maybe you could take some pictures of it as well, next time when you go for a walk ;)

Ill get back to you on that :P
    M three wrote: »
    Great pics, thanks for sharing those.
    The pic ending in -86 that you attached, the one taken from the bridge, shows a lot of water backed up. They've obviously had to do this to construct the bridge down river but its caused flooding further up river.
    A section of the N3 was closed for the last few weeks because of this, traffic from cavan to belturbet/ballyconnell/enniskillen/ donegal has had to divert. Its only a few miles and will be worth it in the end.

Id say a 2/3 months for completion is optimistic. Its amazing how long landscaping, painting and signage takes to do. You could drive on a new road months before its actually ready to be opened.

All the wet weather last year held progress up a lot Id say.

The picture ending in -86 with the town in the background is the water after passing under the bridge, The picture ending in -84 shows a DAM like feature and this defiantly causedthe hold up of the water,But i was told just before my picture was taking, The load of rocks on the same picture to the left was out more and holding up even more water. The floods have gone down and i was able to drive on the n3 road fully even with road blocked signs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I like the architecture of the new bridge shown in those pictures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This was meant to finish in May, do we think that's still likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mcgeebers

Bad news on NRA website - Q1 2014

N3 Belturbet Bypass
    Local Authority: Cavan County Council
    Start County: Cavan
    End County: Cavan
    Description: The N3 Butlersbridge to Belturbet Road Improvement Scheme which comprises the construction of 6.7km of standard single carriageway will include a bypass of Belturbet Town and a major river crossing of the River Erne. The scheme from the existing N3 at Kilnaleck to the Staghall Roundabout on the existing N3 north of Belturbet will include five at-grade junctions, realignment of side roads and 2 bridge structures. The construction contract has been awarded to Ferrovial Agroman PT McWilliams Ltd. J.V. and construction commenced in May 2011.

This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund.
    Mainline Length (km): 6.7
    Contractor: Ferrovial Agroman PT McWilliams Ltd. JV
    Current Project Phase: Construction
    End of construction: Q1 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Depends on the weather really, the bog bridge could take some time to finish as it is in a boggy and rather inaccessible area where dry weather is a must.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Depends on the weather really, the bog bridge could take some time to finish as it is in a boggy and rather inaccessible area where dry weather is a must.

Still, Q1 2014 is quite a long way off. From the pictures posted here before I think they could finish it before next winter.

Still, Q1 2014 is quite a long way off. From the pictures posted here before I think they could finish it before next winter.
    Winter?? It is scheduled to be finished in 6 weeks! Q1 2014 is a 10-month delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

In fairness last year was a disaster weather wise and probably held things up a lot.
    On top of that they're dealing with a very boggy area, who knows what changes they've had to make to get a foundation for some of the structures.
    Its only when they started excavating that you'd realise how bad the ground is.
    The delay is a pity but we've managed this long without a belturbet bypass another year wont make much difference!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I could see the town bypass section being opened well before the realignment part south of the town - assuming no horrors hiding along what can't be seen

MYOB wrote: »
    I could see the town bypass section being opened well before the realignment part south of the town - assuming no horrors hiding along what can't be seen

The only problem maybe this area as its a very boggy and may require alot more fill than previously thought. But yes..Apart from that the town can be by-passed.

You can see the bypass in Bing! Their aerial imagery seems to be a lot more up-to-date than Google's.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I grew up in Belturbet a very, very long time ago :)

So I just want to say "Hello!" to all Belturbet people!

Was back there recently and I COULD NOT BELIEVE I had to use the traffic lights to cross to the other side of the street! :)

People saying around that the New road will be open next weekend with out the new bridge still in construction in time for the G8 in Enniskillen,

Anyone else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

wasn't open this morning - G8 is next week right?

• Advertisement

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    wasn't open this morning - G8 is next week right?
    Why is this so important for the G8 - are they all going to fly into Dublin for something on in Enniskillen??

Advertisement