Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's a testament to my dullness that I actually found that account of a puncture quite interesting. I suspect I'm not alone in that. What a lot we are.

Anyway, what rim? I ask because I have 25mm GP4000Ss on openpros and quite like the fact that they can be mounted without levers. I've never thought of that as a liability until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

niceonetom wrote: »
    I suspect I'm not alone in that. What a lot we are.

I couldn't wait to get to the end to find out 'who did it'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've been meaning to measure my resting heart rate some morning for a while now, but invariably forget first thing after I wake up. So last night I put on my HRM strap and left my Garmin turned on throughout the night. The results are interesting, apparently I had an elevation gain of 18ft and an elevation loss of 93ft during the night, there appear to be some serious potholes in my mattress.

Or maybe I'm possessed and the elevation changes were due to spending the night climbing the walls spider-like - if I'd been having a midnight feast of flies that would certainly explain the horrible taste in my mouth when I woke up. Ick!

How did you sleep with the strap on? That alone would have driven me up the walls - thus explaining my elevation variances...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement

t'bear wrote: »
    How did you sleep with the strap on? That alone would have driven me up the walls - thus explaining my elevation variances...

I had wondered whether the strap would cause me issues but I had no problems with sleeping at all actually. I may have been possessed of the devil though, and therefore my judgement of discomfort levels might have been a bit skewed for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

niceonetom wrote: »
    Anyway, what rim? I ask because I have 25mm GP4000Ss on openpros and quite like the fact that they can be mounted without levers. I've never thought of that as a liability until now.
    I think you might be on to something there. I should really have added "rim width" as a (possible) 3rd contributory factor. The rim is a Ritchey OCR Disc, 622-18. It came fitted with a 700 x 28 tyre as standard. However, a 700 x 25 tyre on an 18mm wide rim is a less optimal match, so that may have had some effect also. I think 15mm is more typical of road rims, so you might be less susceptible to the same type of failure with your rim choice.

Lumen wrote: »
    @Keep_Her_Lit I'm guessing that the tyre saw a reflection of itself on your bike and killed itself.

leave_britney_alone_02.jpg

You leave my bike ALONE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Thankfully, I got the bike over to the kerb without incident. Upon inspection, the tyre had parted company with the rim, while the tube had ruptured completely. One end of the tube got pulled into the wheel and had wrapped itself around the disc brake once and the cassette several times.

Same thing has happened to me on the front wheel, GP4000s tyre. Looked at the time like the tyre had been popped of the rim by the force of the impact. Trying to stop the bike without any tyre was an exciting few seconds, scuffed up the rim fairly badly as well. By the time I'd stopped the, now shredded, tube was wrapped around the wheel: it took a while to cut it off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

t'bear wrote: »
    How did you sleep with the strap on?
    Getting into a bit too much detail.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Image0037.jpg
    didn't go bang!

an eventful day, in the backround you can see a saddle held in place by a tube...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

For the day that's in it. Cut and paste into an email to your significant other...:D

526469_500272696680707_1574467753_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bechermann

Single on Valentines day? More money for bike parts!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Bechermann wrote: »
    Single on Valentines day? More money for bike parts!! :D

More money for everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daragh_ wrote: »
    For the day that's in it. Cut and paste into an email to your significant other...:D

Not sure I want to alert her to the fact that there's competition ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hungrycol wrote: »
    More money for everything.

Except the cure for an empty life... Or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

How long, on average, does stuff take to arrive from CRC? Said it was dispatched early this morning. Would need it for tomorrow ... what do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Peterx wrote: »
    Image0037.jpg
    didn't go bang!

an eventful day, in the backround you can see a saddle held in place by a tube...

ugh, it looks like a snake is crawling into your tyre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    How long, on average, does stuff take to arrive from CRC? Said it was dispatched early this morning. Would need it for tomorrow ... what do we think?

It's been known to happen. Ordered stuff before. Said dispatched early am and arrived the next am.
    Only happened the once though and think it was a delay on an update on their system

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

small stuff tends to come quick but larger boxes seem to take longer, a pair of shoes took more than a week for me recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

How to make your Valentine respect your bike and all the kit. Any of us could have thought of it, he nailed it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/02/13/171902975/guy-pumps-out-a-valentine-literally

small stuff tends to come quick but larger boxes seem to take longer, a pair of shoes took more than a week for me recently
    So you have "big feet", eh? And this is Valentine's evening. Uh huh, I think I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Took 8 days last time I ordered a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

I ordered a pair of shoes from CRC on Monday and they arrived today.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

It's a shagging headset :(. Mine was kinda weird, so I wanted to clean it etc. Popped it out and it was all broken up though had I left it, it would have been fine for the weekend. I'm raging.

It's a shagging headset :(. Mine was kinda weird, so I wanted to clean it etc. Popped it out and it was all broken up though had I left it, it would have been fine for the weekend. I'm raging.
    LBS f

LBS for emergencies, online if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

doozerie wrote: »
    I've been meaning to measure my resting heart rate some morning for a while now, but invariably forget first thing after I wake up. So last night I put on my HRM strap and left my Garmin turned on throughout the night. The results are interesting, apparently I had an elevation gain of 18ft and an elevation loss of 93ft during the night, there appear to be some serious potholes in my mattress.

Or maybe I'm possessed and the elevation changes were due to spending the night climbing the walls spider-like - if I'd been having a midnight feast of flies that would certainly explain the horrible taste in my mouth when I woke up. Ick!

Did you create a Strava segment for it? :D

I bought a Campag jersey in a private CRC sale last week, they only had one size left (XXL) but at the price it was too good to pass up. Arrived yesterday and I was thinking this will probably have to be returned - I know sizes can be very much different than normal wear, but it felt like Campag were calling me a fat tubby lardarse - it fit perfectly!

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Did you create a Strava segment for it? :D

I would, except that it'd be yet another Strava leader board that I would fail to dominate as my missus would probably jump straight to the top of it. I'm not sure I could handle the sleepy disappointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement