Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arseholes that park on the pavement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OP, did this gross act of inhumanity occur in Kerry? Sure, drivers can do what they like down there like. They're allowed to drunk drive without like their hazard lights. Some of them even drive non-Kerry veh-hickles and demonstrate their special road rules to the rest of the country, in partial anonymity.

Or maybe the drivers abandoned the cars and van on your footpath and conscientiously committed suicide while waiting for the Kerry Road Traffic Amendment Act 2013 to become law. After all, they didn't know it was going to rain or that pedestrians might want to use the footpath! Now, you wouldn't slag them off for being depressed because the gorthee won't let them drive home after getting jarred in their nearest pub which isn't within walking distance or taxi range from their homes, would you?

It's a dimella, a pure dimella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

SV wrote: »
    hold on...hold on, the complaint is that you might not be able to see the parked cars and end up walking into them?

Ya couldn't really make this up..it doesn't get dark enough that you'd miss a parked car in the middle of the countryside on a cloudy night, let alone anywhere with paths.

No. His complaint is that inconsiderate pieces of **** like you think they can do whatever the **** they want. Have a nice day ****wit.

mod: banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It annoys me too. I wouldn't say it's terribly dangerous, people are still responsible for looking left and right before stepping onto the road. But it's mildly inconvenient for me, so I can imagine it's even more inconvenient for an old person, someone with a buggy or on crutches/in a wheelchair. Should be a fine to block the path, if it isnt already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

btard wrote: »
    No. His complaint is that inconsiderate pieces of **** like you think they can do whatever the **** they want. Have a nice day ****wit.

EXACTLY maybe sv didnt have his weetabix this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

i don't walk all that well anymore, getting up and down to the shops now takes half an hour, it used to take ten minutes. stepping out onto the road is not something i'm going to do because some prat parks on the path to be 10 meters nearer the shop he wants to visit. if i can fit comfortably between the car and the wall grand, if not i'll take out the wing mirror as i'm going by. and sv, i have done this on way to many occasions. learn to park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

A number of people have used the defence that they park on the path if parking on the road would cause an obstruction.
    Well, tough.

If the road would be completely obstructed then there should be a solid white line or double yellows, so you need to find somewhere else to park.
    If there are no double yellows or solid white line, then park correctly near the kerb and pay no mind to blocking the road - that is the council's problem.

There is no circumstance where you are allowed to park on the path, so if necessary go and find somewhere else to park.

This includes parking outside your house, if there is nowhere to park, tough. You probably knew that when you moved in, but just thought screw it I'll just break the law every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

P.C. wrote: »
    What about visually impaired people with a guide dog? How are they supposed to see oncoming traffic? How are they supposed to 'hurry up' when they go around the parked vehicle? It seems to me that it is dangerous for a person with a vision impairment, but you do not think so.

Well done you!

Very good point. Or someone with a severe hearing loss. The footpath is there to provide safety for those people that are walking/ using a wheelchair.

God forbid something would happen a person walking on the road to avoid a vehicle parked on the path, but it would be classed as their fault for being on the road or the drivers fault for hitting them. Fûckface in van/ car would probably get away grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

take a note of the registration and then call it into the cops explaining that the vehicle was illegally parked and posed a threat to pedestrians and could they give a warning. It's amazing how the next time you see that vehicle parked it is done on the road, legally, leaving room for pedestrians and wheelchair users and small children to actually walk on the footpath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Pedestrians don't sit on the road restricting or obstructing your movement so why do you plonk your contraption the narrow little thoroughfare set aside specifically for their use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Report them all, OP, to local authority and AGS.

If either set of law enforcers (a purely technical term) are like the ones in my area, then they won't care all that much.

But if you keep pestering them they might act.

You need to be persistent. Despite the law, arseholes parking on the footpath is utterly normal, indeed expected, in this country, so seeking to raise the issue with the authorities often feels like trying to speak colloquial Swahili to a hearing-impaired Inuit.

There is no shortage of people trying to justify it on Boards either, though luckily there's is also a goodly cohort who actually care about things such as parking regs, consideration for others and the access needs/rights of pedestrians, disabled people, children and the elderly.

Have a browse through this (contentious and closed) thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055438379

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    isnt it great to have nothing of consequence to be complaining about.

Indeed.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Its footpath not pavement this side of the atlantic or am I mistaken. Surely would have been mentioned before in 6 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tiny timy wrote: »
    That and those who park in handicap and mother and child spaces. drives me mad!
    I brought me kid shopping at the weekend for the first time and I actually wondered do i have any extra perks now regarding parking....

probably not

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

I can totally relate to this, its sooo frustrating!

tiny timy wrote: »
    That and those who park in handicap and mother and child spaces. drives me mad!

I park in those spaces all the time. Doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh.

Do you not feeling a little cowardly for doing it?, I'd imagine I would.

Do you feel brave for not being bothered in the slightest about parking in the way you describe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

People who park in cycling lanes drives me insane. So dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I particularly love the antics of the pr*ck who parks his car right on the line of the pedestrian crossing on the way to the shopping centre, when he isn't parked there he parks exactly in front of the bus stop, meaning the bus can't be parked where it should be. He's got a nice big off street spot at the back of his house but oh no that would mean inconveniencing himself to actually go around the back of the house. Then again he's getting away with it for so long now, our local boys and girls in blue seem oblivious to it, no matter how many times they pass the car every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Some car/van have a serious problem with parking properly :mad:

Walking down the village the last couple mornings to get the bus to college, and three pricks take up the whole pavement with their cars and vans. Having to walk on the road in the pissings of rain while it's dark out cause they can't park properly is a joke. The should be fined for this sort of stuff.

Egg em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Some car/van have a serious problem with parking properly :mad:

Walking down the village the last couple mornings to get the bus to college, and three pricks take up the whole pavement with their cars and vans. Having to walk on the road in the pissings of rain while it's dark out cause they can't park properly is a joke. The should be fined for this sort of stuff.

As a wheelchair user, this p!$s€s me right off!!!!

As a wheelchair user, this p!$s€s me right off!!!!

May I suggest James Bond style spikes that come out of your hubs? I'd gladly help you fit them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

hollster2 wrote: »
    i hate this the other day was collecting my 3yr old from montessori so was around lunchtime this idiot parked on the path i was wheeling a buggy too so this guy scoffing his lunch doesnt move and with this idiot look on his face still doesnt move the road was to busy to bring my kids around eventually he did till i said something really pi***es me off wen ppl do that

This really ANNOYS me too, happens all the time in one spot in my town when I'm out walking with my kids in their buggy. The path is small enough as it is in this particular area without these idiots parking on double yellow lines.
    It's such a busy road that I would never, ever attempt to walk out onto the road with them. It happens all the time and I've had to wait and wait and then eventually say something to the driver becasue they're to thick to cop on!!!
    I even had it happen to me by a guard one day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

docmol wrote: »
    May I suggest James Bond style spikes that come out of your hubs? I'd gladly help you fit them! :)

LOL. How about a helicopter blade instead???

Seriously, though.......there is no cure for idiocy/igorance.

Big time. A couple of weeks ago I had a woman beep at me and make shooing motions with her hands through her windscreen. She wanted to park on the path outside the shop and I was standing in her way! There was a free parking space two car lengths away. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

indough wrote: »
    they may have a less obvious disability, no point assuming the worst
    OK, there is a percentage of people out there that can look perfectly able bodied but need a handicap parking permit.
    But not the massive percentage of people that use them. In my local shop there's about 7 spaces almost always taken up, there's not a chance in hell that there always happens to be 7 able bodied looking people, with hidden handicaps that just happened to forget to display their permit that day.
    And it's not like the place is full and they have to walk miles (it's a lidl). People are just lazy, they can't be bothered parking in the next row.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

SV wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you keep saying 'accidentally' now, slight back pedaling there, you have already admitted you do it on purpose.

It's ok, you've made it quite clear the kind of person you are.

And what about the kind of people who park their cars on a pavement and force pedestrians to walk on the road? They obviously don't give a shyte about anybody so why should we give a shyte about them? A few months back, I noticed a car fully parked on the narrow pavement of a busy road with no room for pedestrians to walk on the foothpath, meaning elderly people and parents with buggies and small children had to risk walking on the road onto oncoming traffic. As I walked onto the road and past the car I couldn't help but 'accidentally' bang against the wing mirror. I didn't give a damn if I caused "criminal damage" or not. It was nothing compared to the damage that the moron of a car owner could have caused if somebody had been knocked down due to his ignorant selfishness. And I'd do it again if I saw a car parked in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was walking with the baby in the pram a few weeks ago when we came across a car that had parked up on the curb forcing us to have to walk out on the busy road to get bye.
    When I got back on the footpath there was this old dear with a crutch there and we spent a few minutes bitching about the ignorant prick who had blocked the footpath.
    She suggested to me with a wink that I should 'key his feckin car'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

i found that leaving the air out of one of his tyres usually got the message across. not flat, but just low enough that he had to change it, and also realised what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

Those that park on the pavement are the type of people that walked all over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I don't mind it so much when walking alone, but with a buggy I'd rather not go out on to a busy road cheers. Sometimes drivers only see my head and not the buggy I'm pushing ahead of me. Dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Car's should be towed for doing it. If it blocks the footpath in such a way that the path users must enter the road, then a fine doesn't remove the danger.

If a car was blocking a road such that cars had to mount the footpath, the car wouldn't be long being towed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I have to park on the pavement every day. Otherwise the road outside my house would be completely impassable. How selfish would that be?
    Going right up to the wall is taking the p!ss tough.

Then park in the nearest available parking space...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement