Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go back in time and kill one person who would it be

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Fingers Fingleton dam that "they must be dead" rule

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

charlie haughey-he gave birth to the brown envelope, a nod is as good as a wink ethos which prevails in Irish politics and which got us to where we are today..

daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Where To wrote: »
    No one. I would go back in time and become a famous fortune teller, then I would become rich and have 364 wives.

and only one and a quarter days off a year? :p

+1 for Adam or maybe it should that b1tch Eve who led him to temptation.

No one. I would go back in time and become a famous fortune teller, then I would become rich and have 364 wives.
    Easy to know you are not married or you wouldn't make such folly statement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus Christ, Mohmmad, and Budda, all at birth.
    Whatever about Mohammed, who was well dodgy in a lot of respects, alone among the various religion founders who actually killed people and had people killed on his direct orders, the other two I dunno, especially Buddha. He wasn't particularly religious, indeed remarkably modern in his agnostic thinking, moderate(except when it came to women) and all about personal responsibility and peace, love and compassion and such. Jesus? Again with the compassion stuff for the most part, distrusted crawthumpers and hypocrites etc and was remarkably pro women for his time and culture. Put it another way if Christians and Buddhists actually lived like their respective faith founders there would have been significantly less strife in the world. That's where it goes pear shaped of course. If Muslims lived exactly like their faith founder, yes I could see more strife alright.

One person on the religion front? Probably Abraham if he existed. Though chances are he did or someone like him did with added Chinese whispers. While many feel them useless oral traditions can preserve quite a bit of historicity in them. Teasing out the chaff is the problem of course.

Historical figures? Hard one, because we don't know how them being removed from the timeline would have affected things, maybe even made them worse in an alternative timeline. EG remove say Jesus. Rome never becomes Christian. Some suggest it was this that added to their downfall. So let's imagine Rome, the western empire keeps going. Sounds great in theory, but it could have gone like China. Brief explosions of innovation followed by looong periods of centralised stagnation looking inward, or it falls anyway, but there's no central Christian cultural "glue" remaining in it's aftermath. Islam if it sprung up(unlikely as it's been argued it was a rejig of Christianity) or some other invader might find Europe easy pickings.

Taking out Hitler seems an obvious one, though there were many "hitlers" in post great war Germany, so it's possible another binding force would give rise to German fascism(Italian fascism was well ahead of Hitler and his eejits) and he might have been more clever and even more dangerous and let his generals fight a war the way they wanted to, kept the Americans out of it(and they wouldn't be were they got to at their height) and an even bigger holocaust of it's people across the european continent might have kicked off unopposed.

For me in recent history, Stalin is probably the easy choice. He was an unmitigated bastard and I can't think of another nearly as bad in the Soviet circle. Pol Pot another I'd have happily throttled with my belt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Pol Pot.

Rev. Jim Jones.

You can't erase the past though.
    We'd never learn anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Karl Marx

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's with the hate for The Countess M, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

zeppo marx, but not harpo,chico or groucho..

daithi

• Advertisement

Wibbs correct. Without Christianity either the Roman Empire - which invented little or nothing would have survived, or had it collapsed so would have literacy. ( In the West)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Fortycoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mewe wrote: »
    Fortycoats.

You'd have some job trying to get the bullet to pierce all those coats :p

mewe wrote: »
    Fortycoats.

Here! Whatever about this Countess Markievicz stuff.

I won't have you badmouth Fortycoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

kfallon wrote: »
    You'd have some job trying to get the bullet to pierce all those coats :p

Just shoot him in the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Jeez feller you will have to be more than rich, I have only 1 wife and she costs a small fortune ;)

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just shoot him in the head!

You could use surface to air missile to take down the Magic Trickshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ian Huntley . Before he killed them 2 young girls.... The bastard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Sinead O Connor, completely pointless person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Eamonn De Valera.

• Advertisement

Little Miss Muffet........I WAS that spider and she didn't get far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Cromwell and a young ian paisley

Goldilocks, thieving little b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd kill my great great grandfather. :mad:

If he is that great why would you kill him?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

DeValera.. Without a shadow of a doubt, this country would have avoided alot of pain and suffering and shame had he not given the church so much power. No leader should inflict his/her religious beliefs onto the foundation of a state.

thalia_13 wrote: »
    DeValera.. Without a shadow of a doubt, this country would have avoided alot of pain and suffering and shame had he not given the church so much power. No leader should inflict his/her religious beliefs onto the foundation of a state.

People got to vote on the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I'd go back to 1963 and shoot the guy on the grassy knoll nobody would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

staker wrote: »
    Phil Hogan.

Ha Ha I'd load the gun for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

People got to vote on the constitution.
    The church leaders did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement