Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please Behold... Release Candidate. Can you give it a bash?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 11:12pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For Androidies the final, shippable version of the game is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q50lqcv33kvicfg/UT5.apk

(For iPeeps, there is a mail on the way to you as I type).

This is the finished we-think-we-could-ship-this version. Everything should be polished and finished.

Whats in this you havent seen before:
    LOTS

1. All graphics polished and reworked. It looks a million times better now with destroyed road, smashed billboards, graffiti etc etc.

2. Controls are refined a good bit.

3. Warning/hazard lights when a gap is coming.

4. Optimised graphics with auto-switching to low quality to maintain frame rates.

5. Many many many bugs squashed.

6. An ending that I am particularly proud of. You actually get to see The Jump now :)

7. Slow motion effects on big jumps/falls.

8. Powerups now chosen through a Swipe Down which stops play and lets you chose at your leisure.

tons more....

Please go test it to destruction. We are sooo tired now... must sleep.

We go live in a weeks time we hope. Thank you for all your feedback, lots of it is in this build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Can't find any issues. All the bugs I noticed from before seem to be fine now. It does look and feel a lot better. Great ending too. Well done lads.

P.s Second go at it using the iPad and new high score :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Um - I just broke it :(

Missed a jump and as it switched to slo mo I hit invincibility...
    Worst mistake ever - will try to replicate in a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Taltos wrote: »
    Um - I just broke it :(

Missed a jump and as it switched to slo mo I hit invincibility...
    Worst mistake ever - will try to replicate in a bit...

That's what we want you to do :)

Please give us as much detail as possible and we'll get it patched up.

You were about to die and triggered powerup mode...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK repeated it.

It occurs on the 2nd powered jump.
    To trigger it do the following.
    1 as you enter the power section swipe to jump, you will go off the track but slo mo will trigger
    2 as you fall hit invincibility
    3 car will materialize back on the track in slo mo - camera positioned above it as invincibility slowly counts down. you can still move right and left but you can't jump.
    4 eventually invincibility finishes, after quite a while, you can continue to collect power ups but you still can't jump so inevitably you crash and can restart normally.

Hope this helps, finally jumped on my 4th race - love the ending guys - great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The graphics switching doesn't seem to work well on my Ascend G330. The default setting makes the frame rate get stuttery (not good if you're trying to get near miss bonuses), turning off the high-quality graphics sorts it.

• Advertisement

The graphics switching doesn't seem to work well on my Ascend G330. The default setting makes the frame rate get stuttery (not good if you're trying to get near miss bonuses), turning off the high-quality graphics sorts it.

Great thanks, we just need to tweak the threshold a little so it automatically switches a little sooner by the sound of it.

How you finding gameplay since update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

karlh wrote: »
    Great thanks, we just need to tweak the threshold a little so it automatically switches a little sooner by the sound of it.

How you finding gameplay since update?

Mostly the same, unfortunately I've forgotten most of the track so I've been relearning it! I'll have to try and start using the swipe-down functionality for powerups as well. Am I imagining things or did the jump distance decrease slightly?

Graphical performance is generally better, and the ending was great too. :D

Am I imagining things or did the jump distance decrease slightly?

You're imagining things, we actually reduced the size of gaps :pac:

I'm just about to test on a Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 and I'll update in a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Frame rate is nice and smooth now, and jumping is responsive.
    All I need now is better reflexes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finding it to work perfectly so far.

Yet to install it on the nexus though. I'll do that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Controls are great, runs very well and is fun to play, good job.

Sacramento wrote: »
    I'm just about to test on a Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 and I'll update in a bit :)

Just an update, I played a good bit yesterday (I'm terrible at it) and haven't seen any issues with the game pop up. Definitely nothing wrong with the sequences when you miss the jump anyway, believe me, I've tested that alot. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15 deebag14

Finding it to work perfectly so far.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cant tell you how good it is for us to hear that :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

After giving it a good few goes on the nexus 7 and it's running perfectly. I even made the jump :D

One suggestion I would make although I'm not sure if it even matters. When the user starts his first game, prompt him/her for a username.

Very much a minor one.

Loving the game anyway and I really hope ye do well with it.

Also, I checked the stats and store with the new update. Everything is fine on the htc.

On the nexus I deleted the app and reinstalled it. The store was fine but it asked if I had location sharing set in the local stats. Could just be the nexus but I didn't notice it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Just downloading it now on the Phone. Played it for a few mintues on the tab last night but not enough to give feedback. I will give it more time and let you know.

I did like the manner in which powerups are activated with the swipe down, works really nicely

Advertisement