Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

dismantling the concept of marriage
    Yes or no: Did allowing interracial marriage dismantle the concept of marriage? Cause I'm sure it was the same right-wing loons arguing such when that was being legalised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Legitimising abortion, dismantling the concept of marriage and banishing faith education in Irish schools.

Thats what its like in 'Liberal' Ireland...:(

In a liberal Ireland nobody would be forced to partake in abortions, gay marriages and would be free to teach their children anything they like.

However, in your 'traditional' land... ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Yes or no: Did allowing interracial marriage dismantle the concept of marriage?.

Of course not. Silly question...:rolleyes:

Of course not. Silly question...:rolleyes:

Well then, how is this different? All we're looking for is that two people that love each other can get ****ing married. Seriously, substitute the word "interracial" for "gay/homosexual" in your argument, and tell me that sits okay with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Yes or no: Did allowing interracial marriage dismantle the concept of marriage? Cause I'm sure it was the same right-wing loons arguing such when that was being legalised.

Let's be fair. These are a completely different set of right-wing loons. But they do all sound the same because they're using the same arguments.

That said, I think allowing women to be regarded as equals in marriage instead of being the property of the man has done more to dismantle "traditional" marriage than anything else in the history of the institution.

I miss the days when a woman's value could be measured in livestock... :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

And as for locking up "fallen women" in concentration camps/laundries...
    That's a good tradition that we should continue ;)

Well then, how is this different? All we're looking for is that two people that love each other can get ****ing married. Seriously, substitute the word "interracial" for "gay/homosexual" in your argument, and tell me that sits okay with you.

The institution of marriage is between a man and a woman. Did this bit go over your head..?

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The institution of marriage is between a man and a woman. Did this bit go over your head..?

Incorrect. It varies by country.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You mean the institution of marriage as practiced by - amongst others - the RCC.

Marriage has generally been between a man and women or man and woman. More rarely its been between a woman and men or those of the same gender. Some cultures have/had no formal bonds at all. Marriage wasn't a sacrament and didn't require a priest until around the mid 1500's. It's therefore a young institution.

koth wrote: »
    Incorrect. It varies by country.

Well the Right to Travel is there for anyone who wishes to avail of it...:)

• Advertisement

As is the right to amend existing legislation to recognise same-sex marriages. I think it's about time Ireland grew up and removed the "Right to Travel" as an excuse to put off doing what's necessary.

As is the right to amend existing legislation to recognise same-sex marriages. I think it's about time Ireland grew up and removed the "Right to Travel" as an excuse to put off doing what's necessary.

Good luck with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Truly, this one post shows the intolerance of the Liberal Agenda...

You have paid me a great compliment Silvio, one that I am not worthy of, but thanks anyway :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You'd rather force parents watch their children emigrate to find a place where they can live as equals than offer them that right here?

Good luck with that...

It's inevitable that it will happen here. There are no good reasons that a civilized society shouldn't allow for it.

Can you justify this statement WITHOUT religion?

and in any case, what we are talking about is civil marriage. Religion should butt out.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Good luck with that...

Those evil liberalistas tend to win over time. Idiotic and archaic views such as that of David Quinn or John Waters are not shared by most people in Ireland . ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Those evil liberalistas tend to win over time. Idiotic and archaic views such as that of David Quinn or John Waters are not shared by most people in Ireland . ;)

What kind of hat are liberalistas meant to wear? I would be horrified if I inadvertently wore the wrong one. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What kind of hat are liberalistas meant to wear? I would be horrified if I inadvertently wore the wrong one. :eek:

A fedora, I personally go all out and dress like Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. (Nose plaster and all) Then I nefariously plot to take over the world and destroy marriage... T'is like The Pinky and Brain with cheap suits.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    You'd rather force parents watch their children emigrate to find a place where they can live as equals than offer them that right here?

The parents can travel aswell...

there you go again with the religion obsession...:rolleyes:

Charming, Ireland says GTFO to Irish same-sex couples and extended family. :rolleyes:

I can't believe you could suggest such a facile answer to social policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can you justify the position without using a religous argument?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

A fedora, I personally go all out and dress like Jack Nicholson in Chinatown. (Nose plaster and all) Then I nefariously plot to take over the world and destroy marriage... T'is like The Pinky and Brain with cheap suits.

Damn. I've been wearing a trilby. :o:o

Or, let's save them the money and the hassle, and just change the law here.

And anyone who doesn't like it always has the right to travel. ;)

That's a no then? Your cognitive and moral dissonance is quite saddening.

Also, if you have such a problem with Gay marriage, I have the perfect solution: Don't have one yourself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I can't believe you could suggest such a facile answer to social policy.

I can.

• Advertisement

It's impossible to take either of them seriously. Quinn's naked careerism shines through everything he says. Waters is a professional contrarian, railing against the oldsters in the 80s and now fighting to save Mother Church from all those nasty liberals who believe in people making up their own minds :rolleyes:

Advertisement