Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should the IRFU recruit as the next Ireland coach ?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The IRFU surely doing its homework on potential candidates to be the new Ireland coach after the 6 Nations.

Conor O'Shea seems to be the only Irish coach in a serious post these days. Nice guy, good TV pundit, smart, gaining experience in a tough league. But too little track record at this stage to make him worth a punt. One to watch for the future though.

Michael Bradley seems to have fallen out of their favour a long time ago.

So more than likely it will be overseas. And thats a good thing I think, where a coach is likely to bring something new to players who have come through the Irish schools and academy system.

So who should be on their interview list ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Almaviva wrote: »
    The IRFU surely doing its homework on potential candidates to be the new Ireland coach after the 6 Nations.

Conor O'Shea seems to be the only Irish coach in a serious post these days. Nice guy, good TV pundit, smart, gaining experience in a tough league. But too little track record at this stage to make him worth a punt. One to watch for the future though.

Michael Bradley seems to have fallen out of their favour a long time ago.

So more than likely it will be overseas. And thats a good thing I think, where a coach is likely to bring something new to players who have come through the Irish schools and academy system.

So who should be on their interview list ?

Maybe keep Kidney for another 2 years, then get Conor O Shea in, assuming he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Nick Mallett?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Keclan Didney 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Who we get depends a lot on this year's results. If the 6N goes well, we might not be looking at a new coach for a couple more years, so it depends on who's available then. If it goes badly, we could be looking straight away.

I like liammur's suggestion above. Ideally we've a great 6N, Kidney stays on a couple more years and O'Shea has a chance to prove his credentials over a longer time period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Conor O'Shea seems to be the only Irish coach in a serious post these days.

Mark McCall? That's not to say I think McCall should get the job. Conor O'Shea would be my ideal candidate for the job but he seems settled in London and I don't see him leaving that post anytime soon. Schmidt would be my second choice but based on articles I've read it looks as though he may rather a move back to NZ. After that John Kirwan or Mallett, Kirwan's just taken up the Blues job so is effectively ruled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kidney could plausibly have another 12/15 years, so its probably a bit moot to be talking about the experience/record of names now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Joe Schmidt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Working under the assumption that Kidney is gone...

I don't think COS or Schmidt will be available. McCall seems to be doing quite well with Sarries (though I'm not a massive fan of their style of rugby). Given all 4 provinces have foreign coaches the IRFU might be inclined to go with an Irish coach but I don't really see anyone who could conceivably do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

1/ Joe Schmidt
    2/ Warrenn Gatland
    3/ Graham Henry
    4/ Conor O'Shea
    5/ Nick Mallet
    6/ Vern Cotter
    7/ Jake White
    8/ Mike Ruddock
    9/ Michael Cheika
    10/ Eric Elwood
    11/ Eddie O'Sullivan (!!)
    12/ Kurt McQuicklan
    13/ Matt Williams
    14/ Clive Woodward
    1496/ Renew Kidneys contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Mike Ruddock has done wonders with the u20's and Lansdowne are on fire at the moment. I'm not saying I'd like him to take over, but I'd be happy to see him take on an inter-rim role if it's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know to be honest.

There's alot of names knocking around of people I wouldn't want to get it and people who wouldn't be interested in it.

I can't see Conor O'Shea wanting to leave Quins anytime soon either. He only started with them in March 2010 so is still relatively new to that job.

I can see Kidneys contract being extended due to the lack of quality alternatives out there to be honest, assuming we have a good 6N.

Edit: This is one of the problems with having so few indigenous coaches in the provinces. There's no one to promote to the Irish job!

Elwood is the only one at the moment and he's stepping down this season. The next in line chronologically would be Schmidt but it looks like he wants to move back to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

[Jackass] wrote: »
    1496/ Renew Kidneys contract

You're mad to even accept that as a remote possibility. It should not happen under any circumstance.

Dear IRFU, if it comes to that, I'll do the job. For free. Promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

tolosenc wrote: »
    You're mad to even accept that as a remote possibility. It should not happen under any circumstance.

Gatty at two is mad aswell alot of bad blood there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

i'm in favour of bring O'Shea back here in any role, either replacing Schmidt at Leinster or replacing Kidney or becoming the overseer of all irish rugby(high performance director)

The man needs to be utilized by Irish rugby, look at the benefits english rugby have gotten from him being at quins

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think one thing that the recent Connacht recruitment process showed is that commuting distance is key. Add to that Eddie O'Sullivan's ability to cover not only newspapers but distances with alacrity...

Otherwise:djj76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭nerd69

tolosenc wrote: »

If (and I know it's a big if) we play the rest of the 6 nations the way we have the last 2 games I would be happy enough to consider giveing him a 1 year extension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Joe Schmidt is the only realistic candidate at the moment. Why wouldn't he be available?

Ireland>>>>>>>>>>>>Leinster in terms of importance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Marc Lievremont

2010 - Six Nations/Grand Slam Winners
    2011 - World cup runners up
    2011 - Six Nations runners up

France have looked a shambles since he left. Finished fourth last year in the six nations, pathetic performance against Italy last Sunday. He deserves more credit than he got for getting anything out of that group of players

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Joe Schmidt is the only realistic candidate at the moment. Why wouldn't he be available?

Ireland>>>>>>>>>>>>Leinster in terms of importance.

Next season is his last with Leinster, after that he's plans to head to NZ.

No point getting a coach in for 1 season and cutting a province short at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Next season is his last with Leinster, after that he's plans to head to NZ.

No point getting a coach in for 1 season and cutting a province short at the same time.

I thought I read he said it depends on where his son decides to go to uni, he could decide he wants to go here? Maybe we should start a campaign to get his son in wherever he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Theta wrote: »
    I thought I read he said it depends on where his son decides to go to uni, he could decide he wants to go here? Maybe we should start a campaign to get his son in wherever he wants.

There was another thing he is constantly considering which he mentioned during an interview session with the OLSC earlier in September that is an overall determining factor for him. He's never mentioned it publically, so not going to discuss it openly here. But it'll be the reason he only extended by a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

There was another thing he is constantly considering which he mentioned during an interview session with the OLSC earlier in September that is an overall determining factor for him. He's never mentioned it publically, so not going to discuss it openly here. But it'll be the reason he only extended by a year.

well thats quite the tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I honestly can't see him staying in Ireland, but if he is to be swayed by the head coach job with Ireland he should be offered it - best coach to ever grace our shores imo.

well thats quite the tease.

It's not a teaser regarding potential career prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

George Hook..... (Runs for cover....)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Marc Lievremont

2010 - Six Nations/Grand Slam Winners
    2011 - World cup runners up
    2011 - Six Nations runners up

France have looked a shambles since he left. Finished fourth last year in the six nations, pathetic performance against Italy last Sunday. He deserves more credit than he got for getting anything out of that group of players

Has he not taken a step away from rugby? Think he set up a restaurant with his brother

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

McCall, Easterby, Elwood and O'Shea is the full list of Irish HEC coaches IIRC.

O'Shea is over-qualified for the position IMO. Doesn't need it, and wouldn't want it is my guess. It'll be a furriner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Gambas wrote: »
    McCall, Easterby, Elwood and O'Shea is the full list of Irish HEC coaches IIRC.

O'Shea is over-qualified for the position IMO. Doesn't need it, and wouldn't want it is my guess. It'll be a furriner.
    You've left one out........Remember the uproar when Ulster replaced McLaughlin. He's available. ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

jacothelad wrote: »
    You've left one out........Remember the uproar when Ulster replaced McLaughlin. He's available. ;););)

True, even if I did mean this season. But I did leave Bradley out too. My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Gambas wrote: »
    True, even if I did mean this season. But I did leave Bradley out too. My bad.
    Your good.

Advertisement