Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X Factor

Options
  • 03-02-2013 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

No, not that.

I hope I'm not the only punter to believe in the existence of an "x-factor", but I wonder if many people take it into consideration when having a bet.

I'm not looking for people to "poo poo" it, just to discuss whether or not people believe in it or not. Let me give you some examples.

Today in the Dubai Dessert Classic, Stephen Gallacher had some amazing slices of luck (mixed with skill of course) but the turning point for me was when he made a miracle par a par 5 in the front 9 (after he had been penalised a stroke) I said to myself there and then, his name is on this trophy. There was still about 10 holes to go but you just knew that it was going to be his week. That to me was thinking that is not something that would normally be rationalised.

When Chelsea won the Champions League, from then quarters onwards I felt that it was in the stars that they would win.

On Saturday...I just expected Villa to give Everton a game, eventhough their form of late has been dreadful.

Some of this may look like hindsight thinking, and maybe it is...and it's certainly not something that will ever form the basis of a betting system...but I'm just wondering if anyone else ever has this feeling...this X factor is betting deduction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Yeah i get that feeling sometimes, usually its against the form too. most recently felt it when Ireland thrashed wales the weekend. Trouble for me is they only come every once in a while and once I start betting I find it difficult to stop, so will bet with the winnings on things I dont have that feeling on. I believe only incredibly disciplined and non emotional people can make a living out of betting, maybe psychopaths would do well at it.

Advertisement