Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iconic Arcade Characters

Options
  • 05-02-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I want to get a marquee made for my cab which would feature a selection of famous and iconic characters.
    The marquee will reflect Mame so will probably have that written on there somewhere.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions for characters.

For example:
    Donkey Kong
    Ryu

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pacman, Space Invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks Andrew.

Keep em coming guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Sub Zero
    Mario

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon

Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble

The three Golden Axe characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Heihachai Mashima?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The dodgy bloke hanging around the SF2 Championship Edition cab with a fag hanging out of his mouth that would beast any kid stupid enough to put money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Chuck in some bad guys like the ghosts fom Pacman. Oh, and the host from Smash TV. "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The dodgy bloke hanging around the SF2 Championship Edition cab with a fag hanging out of his mouth that would beast any kid stupid enough to put money in it.

Best, surely?
    Or is your past darker and more filled with tears than we realised?

I always thought mame marquees looked crap,
    Talk to this lad over on AO.
    His work is simply unbelievable,The quality of the prints he gets cant be matched.
    Im going get an AvP marquee made up for my mame cab.

He's very helpfull and does 100% custom stuff too inc Mame art.There printed on a plastic film and laminated.He can do any shape etc etc

He's taking orders for the next batch now

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19380

avpp.jpg

urbanledge wrote: »
    I always thought mame marquees looked crap,
    Talk to this lad over on AO.
    His work is simply unbelievable,The quality of the prints he gets cant be matched.
    Im going get an AvP marquee made up for my mame cab.

He's very helpfull and does 100% custom stuff too inc Mame art.There printed on a plastic film and laminated.He can do any shape etc etc

He's taking orders for the next batch now

That's who is doing it for me! Just looking for ideas for characters for him to incorporate!

• Advertisement

Good stuff,
    I got some stuff off him recently and obviously im a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I died a little inside any time a small crappy arcade had SF2 in a cabinet with only 3 buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Once I saw a vertical cabinet in the Troc in London with a CPS2 street fighter game running on it. /facepalm

To make it odder, game was displayed horizontally - so it was the opposite of when you stretch a 4:3 image out to widescreen. All the characters looked anorexic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Personally speaking, there's no bigger icon in terms of the arcade scene than this

20p_EI_rev_1998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

He does good stuff I got a DDP black label off him.

8448517790_1f02c0fd89_b.jpg

Master of the Universe

Feckin lovely! :cool:

LOve those backlit marquees. Pity the Atomiswave is of the non backlit variety :-(

Master of the Universe

LOve those backlit marquees. Pity the Atomiswave is of the non backlit variety :-(

Yes it is! Change the bulb! :D

o1s1n wrote: »

Yes it is! Change the bulb! :D

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Eh?

I think he wants to go to Blue Alert

• Advertisement

IMAG0493_zps722e873e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I came up with the perfect solution for backlighting the Egret 3/Atomiswave or any other non backlit artwork candy.

I even ordered the parts and everything but the ebay dude stole my money and ran. Been looking for the parts from the UK but so far not had the right sizes.
    I'll be ordering again from Hong Kong and hopefully I'll have something to show for it this time, ETA 1-2 months.

Will post up when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Bub, bob, Arthur
    Mods please lock :)

Master of the Universe

Ahhh, you mean the big plastic marquee on top! Sorry! I thought you meant the 'atomiswave' marquee.

o1s1n wrote: »

Ahhh, you mean the big plastic marquee on top! Sorry! I thought you meant the 'atomiswave' marquee.

No bother. There's a different name for that part. Can't think of it now

Steve SI wrote: »
    I came up with the perfect solution for backlighting the Egret 3/Atomiswave or any other non backlit artwork candy.

I even ordered the parts and everything but the ebay dude stole my money and ran. Been looking for the parts from the UK but so far not had the right sizes.
    I'll be ordering again from Hong Kong and hopefully I'll have something to show for it this time, ETA 1-2 months.

Will post up when its done.

Looking forward to seeing that steve.

Will you have to change the material that the marquees are on printed on? For example Spectre over on AO offers back lit on non backlit marquees.

Looking forward to seeing that steve.

Will you have to change the material that the marquees are on printed on? For example Spectre over on AO offers back lit on non backlit marquees.

Not sure how he does them but looking at his prices it wont be the same way(my way is costing about 100-120 Euro).
    And its just a back light, it wont be artwork itself.

Not sure how he does them but looking at his prices it wont be the same way(my way is costing about 100-120 Euro).
    And its just a back light, it wont be artwork itself.

So your cost is just in lighting the marquee holder?
    Continue to use the marquees as is?

So your cost is just in lighting the marquee holder?
    Continue to use the marquees as is?

Yep

• Advertisement

Yep

No expected issues with opacity?

Advertisement