Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royer Ribbons

Options
  • 28-01-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Considering buying a nice ribbon and was looking at the Royer 121/101 and also the Coles. Anyone here have experience with either? Any opinions on them?
    Are they worth the money?

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

I know they're not Coles/Royers...but I recently got a pair of these:

http://www.xaudia.com/shop/The_Beeb.html

I was looking for something for overheads primarily, to tame any harshness in cymbals while give a nice overall kit sound.
    They have delivered in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

Thanks Fitz, I will check them out, I like the look of them, which always helps.

Thanks

Thanks Fitz, I will check them out, I like the look of them, which always helps.

Thanks

Have a track I produced and used these on for drum overheads sent off for mastering today, will post it when it comes back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Cool - i'd be interested in these too

I'll stick up a raw overhead track too...give you a better idea of what you get.
    Hopefully in the next few days.

• Advertisement

Found an mp3 sample of the dry overhead which soundcloud's encoding seems to have added some noise too, but here it is, it'll give you an idea:

http://snd.sc/WA3IiE

This was a quick bounce done before the drums were fully edited, but this isn't about the performance, more attempting to give an impression of the character of the mics.

It was a DW kit, 6.5 inch Pearl Sensitone Steel snare, Sabian AAXplosion Crash, and Sabian Phil Collins Ride. This is how the mics were placed, perpendicular to an axis running through kick and snare, and equidistant from the centre of the snare:

319828_530891066944931_594932190_n.jpg?dl=1

Will post the finished track when it comes back from mastering.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

They sound really nice Tony.

I'm just listening on headphones here but does the crash sound quieter than everything else? Which is odd looking at your mic placement.

Snare sounds savage tho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Wicked - they are nice and relaxed and open

SeanHurley wrote: »
    They sound really nice Tony.

I'm just listening on headphones here but does the crash sound quieter than everything else? Which is odd looking at your mic placement.

Snare sounds savage tho.

The crash is a little polite sounding , but like I said, cymbals get smoothed out. I combine these with a stereo pair of small diaphragm omnis about 6 to 8 foot in front of the kit, at about cymbal height. These give me a more washy sound, a bit of a trashier picture of the kit. I compress those a fair bit and blend them with the overheads, close mics and a mono room mic at about 30 foot to get my drum sound. Seems to be working well.

The room helps with that open sound mind, huge high ceilings and plenty of space. The ribbons come out much drier in the room than condensers, but with a bit of an airy character that you just wouldn't get in a small room.

To get a pair for less than half the price of a single Coles too...they're great bang for the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

They do sound great for the money. They are definitely on my shopping list now. Seem to be out of stock at the minute tho which is a bummer.

There seems to be great value in modded mics at the minute. Michael Joly's modded Oktavas and MXLs look pretty tasty also.

• Advertisement

Ok, back from mastering, the song is now out in the wild, so here's how the drums ended up sounding in the finished track:

http://wetakemanhattan.bandcamp.com/track/stay-free-download

Advertisement