Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney FLUE problem with semi detached house

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is a problem but let me explain ....I live in a 3 year old Semi detached house. I light an open fire quiet regularly and have had no issues. Tonight at approx 8pm after having the fire on since about 5pm, my neighbour called round and said his living room was filled with smoke and he had to open his windows and doors although he had no fire on in his own fireplace.

My fire was not large or anything but he seemed to think that my smoke was not going up the chimney and was some how going back down his flue.

It is a windy night but he demanded that I got my chimney cleaned.

This has not happened for the past 3 years...Is it possible that the chimney flus are connected in some way?
    if they are how come all of a sudden they become blocked?>
    Any ideas on this?
    The house has 2 flus on the roof, is it my problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If your man wasnt using his fire then he had a cold flue, cold flues can get down draft, if the smoke from your fire was to pass over his chimney then it would be pulled down his flue, its his problem, if he hasnt the facility to close his fireplace flue then he should get himself a chimney baloon............... http://chimneyballoon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Billy bunting is right here, with smoke generally carried up and away with one fire lit its generally not a problem but is quite common in windy weather with the pots side by side to get a down draft. Not too sure if there is anything u can do. If your neighbours chimney is not in use then a chimney baloon is great to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

thanks builditwell and billybunting, I thought as much but just wanted a second opinion before I tell him where to go.

So detached houses definitely don't have linked up Flues??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It is worth saying though that after three years of regular use your chimney probably could do with a cleaning.

Thanks TriggerHappy But It wouldn't be getting used a lot in fairness, I do agree it needs a clean but Was going to wait till the Summer months before doing it.

and surely it doesn't matter how dirty my chimney is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thanks TriggerHappy But It wouldn't be getting used a lot in fairness, I do agree it needs a clean but Was going to wait till the Summer months before doing it.

and surely it doesn't matter how dirty my chimney is??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPNZqg7MtbG2-W7eFU1SRmsBroaISyUtneKWYDdWKh9DKX1Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

A chimney should be cleaned every year without fail its a must.the chimney ballon is a great idea but ballons deflate after a period.i have come across this problem before and the way we got around it was to put another flue on top of you chimney.and a rain hood on your neighbours. cut 6 or 7 inches of the extra flu as it looks ugly on a house if you use all of it.you dont want to fall out with your neighbour over something so easily remedied

I do get the hint to clean my chimney, but my point is cleaning my chimney isn't going to stop this freak incident happening.

What will sort it is for him to seal the top of his chimney!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

What will sort it is for him to seal the top of his chimney!

To seal the top of the flue would have ya man takin bits out of ya !! he can't be expected to get up and down off the roof everytime he wants to light the fire, a chimney balloon if fitted up the flue from below and then inflated, its simply deflated whenever he want to light the fire.

That's his decision, I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement