Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

political geography (world borders, etc.)

Options
  • 29-12-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right place for this, but shur

is there any land on earth that is not in the UN?
    as far as i know, i don't think Western Sahara is. it is claimed by Morocco, but as far as i know the UN dont recognise this, or anyone elses claims either.

I think Taiwan is recognised under the Peoples Republic of China, even though Chinese Taipei, (or the Republic Of China) claim it

Kosovo is recognised under Serbia (it is recognised by over half of the countries in the UN, 98 out of 193, as independent,) what more does it have to do?

Vatican City, not in the UN, but would it fall under Italy??

Antartica, as a whole, of just the unclaimed sections of it, not at all sure about this?

also, while i have you here, anywhere on earth that is not claimed by any country?
    i know of Bir Tawil, between two disputed borders of Egypt and Sudan, but anywhere else?

also, any other interesting oddities you know of, feel free to add

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Western Sahara is disputed. Vatican is an independent country. I think there is agreements on not claiming polar lands too. Taiwan officially claims to be the Republic of China which actually had more territory than the present Peoples Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Vatican has observer status at the UN, granted in recent years. Speaking of Taiwan, as " the Republic of China" it claims jurisdiction over Mongolia. As somebody said of another country's ambitions, " what a large appetite for such a small country!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I always assumed Switzerland was not a full UN member, but after a quick googling it appears they became a full member 10 years ago.

Taiwan is not a UN member. It used to hold the China seat, but eventually the UN voted to recognise Beijing and Taiwan got kicked out. I can't remember the year, maybe late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

feargale wrote: »
    Taiwan is not a UN member. It used to hold the China seat, but eventually the UN voted to recognise Beijing and Taiwan got kicked out. I can't remember the year, maybe late 70s.

• Advertisement

while i have you here, anywhere on earth that is not claimed by any country?
    i know of Bir Tawil, between two disputed borders of Egypt and Sudan, but anywhere else?
    States are in the habit of claiming territory, not disclaiming it. You can safely take it that Bir Tawil is unique in being wanted by nobody. I'm thinking of declaring myself president of it. You can be Minister of Sand if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I think Palestine might be a questionable one too. Not really sure if its a country or not, opinion is always divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jonjoshelvey

Taiwan is not a UN member.

lahalane wrote: »
    I think Palestine might be a questionable one too. Not really sure if its a country or not, opinion is always divided.

Two states i.e. Palestine and the Holy See have non-member permanent observer status at the UN.
    Two others, Niue and the Cook Islands, are states in free association with New Zealand, and are full members of several UN specialized agencies.
    The "full treaty-making capacity" of the latter two is recognised by the UN secretariat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not UN Members: Vatican City, Kosovo, Taiwan, and Palestine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement