Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New phone scam from Slovenian number

Options
  • 26-01-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I just seen a missed call on my phone from number +38681897022. It kinda looked like an O2 number so I rang it back. It answered straight away and I could hear what sounded like a couple making love. I presumed it was a scam and checked out the number the +386 is the international code for Slovenia. I tried to text the number from my Blueface account and it said Slovenia Alternative Networks not supported. Next I rang Vodaphone to check how much the call cost me. They said they couldn't tell me but he said he had got lots of similar queries about this from other people. Anybody got any ideas on what this is about. Vodafone are useless I have to say.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/38681897022
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 philipadams1

I've got several calls from this number today.. They ring and hang up after about 1second!! Irritating is an understatement !!!! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

I got it too. Same number

Only rang once. I did not ring back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have started doing this as I am in a business where I cannot afford to miss calls from prospective clients but cannot afford to make return calls to nuisance numbers.

I also received calls from a strange number which turned out to be a scam caller when I looked up the number, googled on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

wextipp wrote: »
    I just seen a missed call on my phone from number +38681897022. .......

.......…… got lots of similar queries about this from other people. Anybody got any ideas on what this is about. Vodafone are useless I have to say.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/38681897022

I've got two of these this evening so far. It rings once only and then stops. I didn't ring it back but googled it instead and came across this thread. I suspect that it might be a premium rate and is expecting people to ring back the missed call, thus creating a nice steady revenue stream for them. Whatever the purpose, you can be sure it is most likely dodgy and that you are being targeted for something.
    I haven't tried Vodafone yet but from previous experience it would be a waste of time. Maybe Comreg might be able to do something. It's a real pain in the hole!!!!
    I tried on my phone but I can't block the number or even set the ringtone to silent for that specific number. Bummer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah I'm 087 and got one today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

just got one too on 087

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

just got one too on 087

Yep got a call from the same number around 10pm..i didn't answer because slovenia came up next to the number and I knew straight away it was probably a scam. Googled it and it seems all the people who received the call are with Vodafone. Sonething strange there. Just seems to much of a coincidence that all are VF customers..so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Got one around 5.30 i answered the call got no response then the bloody phone froze on me.I'm with Vodafone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just got one about ten mins ago same number except the last two digits were 41. On Vodafone as well :confused:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Has anybody figured out how much this number costs to call. It hasn't appeared on my on-line usage yet. Vodafone are always a day behind.
    It there is a expensive cost one thing is sure, Vodafone will also make a bit of money on it and as usual will be slow to assist with sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Got a call from +38681897042 last night at 3:39am, thought it was O2 in my sleepy state, didn't answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Got one from +386 8 189 7048 didn't answer or call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

+386 8 189 704 this morning im on meteor

Just phoned Vodafone again. They are aware of the problem and are getting a high volume of calls about it. They have reported it to Comreg and it is happening on all networks. They 'THINK' it is a premium number and can't figure it out yet. They don't even know the cost of the call yet.

They don't have the power to stop this number or the other similar numbers they are using. They tell me if it is a premium number Vodafone make no money on the call and all the cost is passed on to the premium number operator. If you are charged the only way you can get a refund is via Comreg who are a waste of space in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Wonder if everyone answered the calls would they stop quick enough by losing money! Got one this morning and like that thought it was an 086...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I missed a call at 6 in the morning. My phone was on silent, so didn't hear it. Same number but last two digits 57. Googled the prefix 00386, and Slovenia comes up.
    Im on the three network with 087 number.

Glad im not the only one and found out here its a scam of some sort. I wont be going mental all day thinking about who was ringing me at 6 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

yeah i'm the same, got an 087 number but with meteor nowadays...I rang it back just now before I found this thread (damn it) but I got an irish voice say that the number was not in service and to check the number and try again.

+3868187042

I thought it was an automated survey from BOI as I was just on to the customer service so rang it back...it's not...

so far no one has posted that they have an 086, 085 etc number so are we looking at a Vodafone leak of our numbers? even us ex-customers?

• Advertisement

I rang it back just now before I found this thread (damn it) but I got an irish voice say that the number was not in service and to check the number and try again.
    That sounds a bit more promising, maybe Comreg have had had the service shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

yeah i'm the same, got an 087 number but with meteor nowadays...I rang it back just now before I found this thread (damn it) but I got an irish voice say that the number was not in service and to check the number and try again.

+3868187042

I thought it was an automated survey from BOI as I was just on to the customer service so rang it back...it's not...

Isn't there meant to be a 9 in front of that 7, in that scam number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

It not finished yet, just got a missed call from +38681897034

Isn't there meant to be a 9 in front of that 7, in that scam number ?

yes, thank you for pointing out the typo

Lets get Comreg off their ass.
    Send the following text
    ASKCOMREG Fix the Slovenian phone scam
    to 51500 (standard SMS rates apply*)

http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/contact_us.26.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

One here in Greystones this morning at 02.41 0861897042....thanks to Jody for posting this on FB..x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I got a call from +38681897042 last night at 3:50am, also thought it was an 086 no. but I presumed it was a wrong no. and just left it. Glad now! BTW, I have an 087 no, but on the 3 network now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got the call around 12 last night.

+386 8 189 7048

I've an 087 number. It's probably automated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 orlao

I got a missed call today too, when I looked closely realised the 386 was a country code so I didn't call it - good to know what it's about. Just saw the information on Journal.ie. The number which called me was 386 8 189 7041. And I could have been caught, just got a new phone and haven't changed over the contacts, so I have no names coming up with numbers.

Advertisement