Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie Mistake

Options
  • 18-01-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I placed a bet on harlequins +2 20/1 12.50euro on it a in play bet.

They cancelled my bet because it was a ''obvious mistake''.

I asked them if i placed a 50euro bet on a soccer match in play and i meant to put down only 5euro would they cancel my bet if i asked them?

It's ok for the bookies to cancel bets for their own mistakes but the ordinary punter is left dwell on his own mistakes.

No Fairness there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

A team winning by 7 pts is never going to be 20/1 +2.

Your example is not like for like by the way. You backed a price error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Con1110 wrote: »

I asked them if i placed a 50euro bet on a soccer match in play and i meant to put down only 5euro would they cancel my bet if i asked them?

It's ok for the bookies to cancel bets for their own mistakes but the ordinary punter is left dwell on his own mistakes.

No Fairness there?

so you to open up the option for every punter that places a losing €50 bet to ring up and say "ah, that was only really a fiver bet":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Con1110

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    so you to open up the option for every punter that places a losing €50 bet to ring up and say "ah, that was only really a fiver bet":rolleyes:

Sure apparently they can claim every price they offer is wrong so why can't a punter do something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Sure apparently they can claim every price they offer is wrong so why can't a punter do something similar?

no they can't ! something miles out of kilter with the industry standard is clearly a genuine error.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Was it PP by any chance they are a joke for putting up errors in running.

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Was it PP by any chance they are a joke for putting up errors in running.

Nope Boyles :)

Didn't even get offered the correct price just bet cancelled. Got offered a 10euro free bet didn't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The industry call it "palpable error" or something on those lines.
    There is nothing to stop the bookies cancelling every bet you do if they wanted, what can you do?
    Nothing.
    They police themselves and answer to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

okidoki987 wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop the bookies cancelling every bet you do if they wanted, what can you do?
    Nothing.

Nope

http://www.ibas-uk.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Didn't even get offered the correct price just bet cancelled. Got offered a 10euro free bet didn't accept it.

Don't know why you didn't, was a good offer. Every bookie would either cancel the bet or settle it at the correct odds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

The very least they should of done was settle the bet at the odds of when the bet was placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That was rather foolish, never refuse free money, priciples won't pay the bills
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Nothing.

You have no idea what you are talking about, if you insist on posting on something at least get your basic facts right.

I refused because i've taken further action about the bet if i had accepted it would have been the end of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

No Fairness there?

I've made an error before by placing a 100 euro bet instead of 10. i rang them and had it cancelled immediately without problem (pre kick-off). if the game had started, i wouldn't expect it cancelled as i made the error in what i wagered. In your case you are expecting them to honour a bet which is clearly priced incorrectly. Its apple's and oranges>>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I refused because i've taken further action about the bet if i had accepted it would have been the end of the matter.

You may be taken further action Con, but unfortunately you haven't a leg to stand on and will end up with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You have no idea what you are talking about, if you insist on posting on something at least get your basic facts right.

Gambling debts are not legally enforecable so there there is nothing to stop a bookie telling you to get stuffed if you won a massive amount.
    That is why you should be very careful who you gamble with.
    They wouldn't get a lot of business after it hits the media but that wouldn't help you in any way getting your money.
    Obviously I'm not talking about about the "big boys" but you get my drift.

Palpable error or a mistake made by the bookie will not see you getting paid.

Bookies stop people betting with them all the time for various reasons.
    Some of which are not welcome by the punters involved.
    I know many people who have had accounts closed (myself included).
    One was after 2 GAA bets came in, total win was about €800, one of them was in the All Ireland final!
    My P&L up to that was a MINUS with that bookie.
    Didn't even get a restriction, just immediate closure which made no sense.
    So bookies can do what they want.

I have seen many occassions where bookies are taking the mick with their prices, offers, bonuses etc.
    What can you do about it?
    Nothing apart to complain to the staff who mostly look blankly at you
    and look at you as if to say "if you don't like it, don't back with us".

There is IBAS in the UK as pointed out above but I've never seen, heard or read anything that would encourage me to go to them with a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭linvoysblues

Yeah, even though you are in the right, you won't get any money out of the bookies unless they give it to you. I went through an ordeal with Boyles where they treated me like scum and I got paid out when I should have, nor would they even consider reviewing it.

Yet if it went the other way, they would never let you away with it.

Yeah i'll let ye know in the coming weeks how it goes anyway.

Even if I don't get my money the legislation needs to be changed they've way too much protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What exactly did you want from them initially?

Advertisement