Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College messed up? Wrong module, Can't apply through CAO..

Options
  • 16-01-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm currently studying a level 5 PLC course and hoping to apply through CAO to some Universities and IT's soon...

I've just been looking at CAO and noticed that the progression links from my course (I won't name names) all require communications as a mandatory module. The problem is my course doesn't have communications as a module, it has Personal Effectiveness instead.

I'm starting to worry that now I simply can't apply to these courses as I don't study Communications. I understand different 3rd level courses require mandatory modules, and I wouldn't expect to be accepted to study Journalism if I was doing a PLC in Sports or something..

However, the courses that I wish to apply for are exactly the same. I.E I currently study 'Graphic Design' (as an example) in PLC and would like to apply for Graphic Design in DIT or DCU. (The college I'm currently studying at advertises these colleges as possible progression links for the course I'm taking)

We've currently got about 50% of the Personal Effectiveness module complete and I'm at Distinction level..

My worry is is it too late to take up Communcations as a module so I can apply for those courses?

If not I've practically wasted a year of my life due to the fact I can't apply. The only reason I attended this course was for the possibility of progressing on to a 3rd level college/university..

What should I do? Any advice would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Communications used be an essential module along with work experience. It is just possible that with all the changes this year, Personal Effectiveness is the replacement for Communications. You need to talk to your PE tutor to see if this is the case, if it is not then there is a problem with the course.

I have just checked (briefly) the Fetac website and it appears that Communications is still required, you need to talk to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

looksee wrote: »
    Communications used be an essential module along with work experience. It is just possible that with all the changes this year, Personal Effectiveness is the replacement for Communications. You need to talk to your PE tutor to see if this is the case, if it is not then there is a problem with the course.

I have just checked (briefly) the Fetac website and it appears that Communications is still required, you need to talk to the college.

Thanks, I talked briefly with the college guidance counsellor (who wasn't very helpful) and she said that communications is needed. I was told elsewhere that this is the first year that Personal Effectiveness was being thought, it was usually Communications.

I've looked up what college courses require Personal Effectiveness as a module and I can't even find one.

I just can't seem to fathom why someone would replace one of the most important FETAC modules with one of little importance? Surely someone couldn't be so stupid to prevent any students progressing to a higher education?

I asked the counsellor who structures the courses and she tried to avoid the question, when I pressed her on it she said the college don't pick the modules to teach but FETAC do.

Does anyone know if that is true?

No it is not entirely true. There is a range of modules that the college selects from to make up a certificate. There is a fair amount of flexibility except that Communications and Work Experience have to be two of the modules regardless of the course.

It seems extraordinarily strange that they would do a cert without Communications. You really need to chase this further, if necessary contact Fetac. All the other students will be affected too as you simply will not get the cert without communications.

Can you tell me the exact title of the course you are doing, and possibly its number?

The only consolation is that Communications is not a desperately difficult module, or the previous version of it wasn't, and I can't imagine it has changed much. You must clarify this as soon as possible though.

No it is not entirely true. There is a range of modules that the college selects from to make up a certificate. There is a fair amount of flexibility except that Communications and Work Experience have to be two of the modules regardless of the course.

It seems extraordinarily strange that they would do a cert without Communications. You really need to chase this further, if necessary contact Fetac. All the other students will be affected too as you simply will not get the cert without communications.

Can you tell me the exact title of the course you are doing, and possibly its number?

The only consolation is that Communications is not a desperately difficult module, or the previous version of it wasn't, and I can't imagine it has changed much. You must clarify this as soon as possible though.

I have emailed the principle and my head tutor about it, it has only really come to light from today. So I'll be chasing it further from tomorrow when I'm back in college.

I'm reluctant to post what college I'm in etc..

The course I'm doing is Journalism and the course code is 5M2464.

The courses I want to apply for are Journslism in DIT and DCU but both list Communications as a mandatory module distinction.

We currently have about 50% of our Personal Effectivemess module completed. At very least I would like to start the communications module ASAP, it's pretty basic common sense stuff so I wouldn't have a problem with that, although I'm not too sure if starting it now would be an option due to deadlines and stuff.

When I find out further information and if I'm still unable to apply to these courses I will be incredibly angry/frustrated.

The only reason I did this course was to have the opportunity to progress on to a 3rd level college/university.

Looks as though you might be ok and the third level out of date:
    http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/awardsDirectory.do?method=getMajorAwardDetails&majorAwardId=12651&fromPage=awardsByField

Have a look at this, it shows that you need 1 of 4 options and P.E. is an alternative to Communications. This is new this year and the 3rd level college has not caught up with it yet.

You need to ask the college to communicate with the third level though about it.

• Advertisement

Looks as though you might be ok and the third level out of date:
    http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/awardsDirectory.do?method=getMajorAwardDetails&majorAwardId=12651&fromPage=awardsByField

Have a look at this, it shows that you need 1 of 4 options and P.E. is an alternative to Communications. This is new this year and the 3rd level college has not caught up with it yet.

You need to ask the college to communicate with the third level though about it.

Yeah I've seen that, I know it's accepted in regards to passing the Fetac course but my worry is it's not accepted by colleges as a substitute for Communications in regards to gaining entry on to their courses.

I plan to follow it up in the coming days, just worried at the moment.

Just a quick update, brought it up today to numerous people within the college.

It seems we're going to take up Communications as an extra module from next week.

Not the best situation but if it means I can apply for courses then it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

Yeah I've seen that, I know it's accepted in regards to passing the Fetac course but my worry is it's not accepted by colleges as a substitute for Communications in regards to gaining entry on to their courses.

I plan to follow it up in the coming days, just worried at the moment.

Hi

What courses are you applying for?

Hi

What courses are you applying for?

DIT and DCU Journalism will be among my top choices..

DIT and IADT Photography also.

Advertisement