Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopped for offence that was incorrect - ticket for other offence

Options
  • 16-01-2013 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the rule is for this situation.

Was stopped yeterday on M50 after coming off M7 city bound.

Garda (bike) said I did not indicate to move into lane for link to M50. However the lane system at this junction was changed in Mid December and there is a warning about this just after Newlands cross and the over head gantries have been changed. The correct lane is now the middle lane for access to M50 south (I was in the middle lane) and as you are not changing lanes, there is no requirement to indicate.

Garda accepted this as I was very adament I was correct
    and was willing to take the time and go back with him to show the new layout.

He then said I was doing approx. 50km on the slip road and the speed limit is 30km. I pointed out that the speed limit is 50km (red and white round sign) and that I was simply doing the same safe speed as every other car and that the 30km sign is a black white rectangle is an "advisory" limit designed for goods vehicles to give them notice of how sharp the turn is.

He then said he had seen me on the phone at Kingswood - 7km away and said that he was giving me a ticket for this.

Now, from Kningswood to M50 is 6.8km and I had also stopped at the lights at Newlands cross and traffic was heavy enough and quite slow. Surely if he saw me on the phone he should ahve stopped me at the earliest opportunity and not wait almost 7km and about 8minutes to do so.

Should the ticket arrive, is it worth contesting?

I will say, he was very polite and so was I and possibly he may not issue the ticket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

sandin wrote: »
    Just wondering what the rule is for this situation.

Was stopped yeterday on M50 after coming off M7 city bound.

Garda (bike) said I did not indicate to move into lane for link to M50. However the lane system at this junction was changed in Mid December and there is a warning about this just after Newlands cross and the over head gantries have been changed. The correct lane is now the middle lane for access to M50 south (I was in the middle lane) and as you are not changing lanes, there is no requirement to indicate.

Garda accepted this as I was very adament I was correct
    and was willing to take the time and go back with him to show the new layout.

He then said I was doing approx. 50km on the slip road and the speed limit is 30km. I pointed out that the speed limit is 50km (red and white round sign) and that I was simply doing the same safe speed as every other car and that the 30km sign is a black white rectangle is an "advisory" limit designed for goods vehicles to give them notice of how sharp the turn is.

He then said he had seen me on the phone at Kingswood - 7km away and said that he was giving me a ticket for this.

Now, from Kningswood to M50 is 6.8km and I had also stopped at the lights at Newlands cross and traffic was heavy enough and quite slow. Surely if he saw me on the phone he should ahve stopped me at the earliest opportunity and not wait almost 7km and about 8minutes to do so.

Should the ticket arrive, is it worth contesting?

I will say, he was very polite and so was I and possibly he may not issue the ticket.
    Were you on the phone? If not contest it

Advertisement