Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bored of Noam Chomsky

Options
  • 15-01-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

hi all. i tend to listen to stuff going to sleep, stops me from driving myself nuts.

i started with physics audiobooks. also i listened to physics lectures on youtube, several universities have really good ones on there. after a year or two of those i ran out of ground to cover.

then i moved onto old documentary series. the ascent of man, civilisation, life on earth, connections, the shock of the new and so on. then i ran out of those.

i gave philosophy a go, but the university lecturer on youtube irritated me, after all the physics it was hard to listen to someone ask, what is a soul, when it was obvious to me there is no such thing. but thats another thread. lol. its here if your interested

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?113332-I-have-a-question&p=2927289#post2927289

so nowadays im listening to intellectuals on youtube. cos ive run out of stuff im interested in. ive been listening to chomsky for the last two months! its getting boring.

im a big fan of chris hedges, and neil postman.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/7-1

i suppose adam curtis is loosely related to postman in subject matter.

ok so, im waffling now, can anyone suggest other clever people i can listen to, instead of my own internal dialogue please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Raymond Tallis.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

Fantastic, ill give him a go.

Christof Koch is also very interesting, although theres something of the night about him.

had a browse there re Tallis, im seeing the words, free will. i dont like those words. whether it be above me, (probaby thats it) or its bull****, i dont know, but it does nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Slavoj Zizek is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

I was gonna to say go for Zizek as well, he can be hilarious depending on the subject matter but always well spoken. One of my favourite guys to read, watch and listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

i caught Zizek bout a year ago on a recommendation from a friend, love him, he's nuts

im liking Tallis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Zizek is a clown - not in his writings but in his talks and performances. Best read than watched or heard.
    Tallis is the real deal. A true renaissance mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Jared Diamond. Guns, germs and stee is quite an entertaining read

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Advertisement