Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

nothing beats a bit of Pig Destroyer in a traffic jam.

Book burner is one of the best albums of 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm never sure if people are taking the mickey or not when they talk about grindcore, so I'm going to be laughed at either way.

These contemporary bands that are put under the grindcore label? I'm not really sure they fit what it originally was. Carcass, ND, Terrorizer, Brutal Truth etc were a different beast altogether. Maybe it's better production now, but the new bands are a hodge podge of different vocal styles, more metal-type riffs. Pig Destroyer are pretty good, but to me the vocal style is a bit off. Course in a way I'm totally wrong and there are no genres in any post-punk related music, but I like grindcore for its brutal simplicity. Maybe it just doesn't exist any more and new labels are needed. Modern music-wise, I think the crustcore stuff like Skarp are truer to the grindcore essence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...Pig Destroyer ...

the-baffled-boxer-meme-1-26299-1335292089-4_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    Care to share what happened? Just because after the last Luas vs Bus on O'Connell St, it turned out the bus was at fault. This driver just chanced his arm (car) and didn't make it? Or didn't see the red light?
    The lights were definitely red (hence the reason why I was stopped) and had been red for a while. The tram approached heading eastbound when a white car (Focus?) cruised through the red light. I don't think the driver intentionally broke the red but it appeared more like he wasn't aware it was there. The car was propelled diagonally from the left lane northbound across the right lane, spun around and ended up on the centre median near to where I was waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I think the crustcore stuff like Skarp are truer to the grindcore essence

+ 1. If you don't know your crustcore from your grindcore then theres no hope at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm never sure if people are taking the mickey or not when they talk about grindcore, so I'm going to be laughed at either way.

I wasn't taking the mickey. I do Like Pig Destroyer but that's about it at that end of the metal spectrum. They are definitley more Death Metal than Punk, but they definitely have Grindcore elements, Deathgrind? is that a word? I never liked early Napalm Death or Carcass. Preferred Carcass when they went melodic and liked the odd ND song with Barney on Vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Carcass...
    Wow this topic is a bit of a blast from the past! 1995 called and wants its music back. I had some of these on tape but nothing has survived.

I wasn't taking the mickey. I do Like Pig Destroyer but that's about it at that end of the metal spectrum. They are definitley more Death Metal than Punk, but they definitely have Grindcore elements, Deathgrind? is that a word? I never liked early Napalm Death or Carcass. Preferred Carcass when they went melodic and liked the odd ND song with Barney on Vocals.

Do you mean Heartwork, or do you count Necroticism as melodic? Apparently Deathgrind is a thing.

Barney's a bit of a god, his early stuff with Benediction is pretty awesome too. Scum is still probably one of the best albums ever.
    Idleater wrote: »
    Wow this topic is a bit of a blast from the past! 1995 called and wants its music back. I had some of these on tape but nothing has survived.

Try 1990, to me and my mates death metal and grind were dead by 1995. Took 4 years to see Carcass live and I had to get special permission to leave boarding school for the night. Still have Tools of the Trade in shrinkwrapped cassette format, both the original banned albums on vinyl, autographs on Docs and autographs on tickets, massive special edition Heartwork poster of the Geiger artwork, multiple t-shirts I've been asked to stop wearing. Got to speak to Ken Owen for ages a few months before he had his brain issues.

Yeah, hipster metaller (I'm the "I was into them way beofre that Heartwork/Swansong sh*te" guy) and all that. I also managed to get backstage with Cathedral one year if that helps impress anyone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I also managed to get backstage with Cathedral one year if that helps impress anyone.
    I only managed to get backstage once - with Bad Manners. Buster Bloodvessel was harping on about the support band that hadn't turned up. He told us they had all been killed in a car accident on their way to the gig. The name of that support - UB40 - I'll never believe anything Buster ever tells me again (not that I've seen him in over 30 years ...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Jaysus! How OLD are you guys?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I only managed to get backstage once - with Bad Manners. Buster Bloodvessel was harping on about the support band that hadn't turned up. He told us they had all been killed in a car accident on their way to the gig. The name of that support - UB40 - I'll never believe anything Buster ever tells me again (not that I've seen him in over 30 years ...)

Is that an assos jumpsuit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

colm_gti wrote: »
    One day you will be a veteran as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    One day you will be a veteran as well.

If he doesn't insult us and end up getting sat on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sorry all, just one more music based post
    Sad news today about Wilko Johnson (ex Dr Feelgood & Blockheads)
    Diagnosed with terminal cancer, he's declined chemo to complete recording his cd then do a short UK farewell tour.
    I'll be doing my best to get to one or more of those last gigs.
    Wilko (& Norman) best live act I've ever seen.
    He did 3 nights in the Leeson Lounge a couple of years ago, I was there for all 3.
    This is what he does...

http://www.facebook.com/WilkoJohnsonBand

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

RobFowl wrote: »

If he doesn't insult us and end up getting sat on ;)
    that can quite easily happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

colm_gti wrote: »
    Don't know how old they are but here's a picture of them racing back in the day:

A-Velocipede-Race-At-Jardin-Du-Luxembourg-In-1818.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Do you mean Heartwork, or do you count Necroticism as melodic?
    Necroticism was half way there for me. The opening riff in Corporal Jigsore Quandary is one of the best intros in Metal. Top Ten IMO.
    Try 1990, to me and my mates death metal and grind were dead by 1995
    All metal died for me in 1995. I only have the odd album released after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I also managed to get backstage with Cathedral one year if that helps impress anyone.

got on the battleaxe battlebus after a gig (i think they wanted girls though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

all this talk of metal has me rooting round my mp3 collection. Currently listening to seasons in the abyss. cracking album. I'm sure it would make good background music for turbo trianing....

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    all this talk of metal has me rooting round my mp3 collection. Currently listening to seasons in the abyss. cracking album. I'm sure it would make good background music for turbo trianing....

That and South of Heaven are amazing albums.

I'd agree that bar a few examples, mostly bands that sound exactly like earlier bands, metal died in 1995 (Though strictly speaking grindcore is a punk offshoot rather than a metal one). I've stuck to stuff like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Dozer, Red Fang etc since then.

That's my last metal comment before I get shut down like in all the Irish language discussions in this thread.

Is maith liom an ceol trom-mhiotalach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Just looked at link to Ciclisme 2014 giro to start in Belfast. Not sure how reliable info is

Sven gets off and calls spectator to the order in cyclocross in Loenhout. After the spectator had thrown beer.

Apparently he did it a few times and Nys got fed up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A folding bike!!

50aa4af90f808.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Came across this in my Google Docs archive - who wants to add themselves? boardsie club memberships: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai2vrstyOUEKdFlQRTN3M3d1UUxwTjZKZkVWVUZxVEE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

got sky HD recently and watched a review of this years tdf. Massive difference between the standard and high definition. Cant wait for the racing to come back!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

p.7 of the Irish Times today- Cool Pic of cyclists spinning through the snow up in Sally Gap yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

colm18 wrote: »
    p.7 of the Irish Times today- Cool Pic of cyclists spinning through the snow up in Sally Gap yesterday.

Was just looking at that myself - here it is online: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0114/1224328802911.html

1224328802911_1.jpg?ts=1358165210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look like they got caught out to me, they're not dressed for it at all :)

Anyone on here recognise themselves in the photo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement